Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tax & Insure *all* vehicles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Tax & Insure *all* vehicles? Reply with quote

Here we go again:

Linda Davis: Electric scooter rider, 14, admits causing woman's death

I would suggest that all vehicles on the road capable of mowing someone down need to be taxed and insured. I'd go as far as including push-bikes. The tax might be set at zero but it would be a way to fit with the existing structure. Unfortunately impossible to implement due to the ineptitude of the DVLA.

I'd also mandate daylight running lights for all vehicles, not a big ask for push-bikes with the ubiquity of Lithium-Ion battery packs, as it would ameliorate the issue of riders with no lights at night. Not all electric scooters have lights (or at least the drug-deliveroo mob turn them off when doing their rounds.)

Again, impossible to implement as we no longer have a police force capable of enforcing traffic regulations. Maybe we could replace fat coppers with drones?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:28 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are suggesting my 6 year old buys insurance?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So you are suggesting my 6 year old buys insurance?

Well if so, there's no particular reason why parents/guardians shouldn't be responsible for insuring any of their offspring that they allow to ride pushbikes on the public road?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:57 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when little Jonny who's 11 goes out on his bike without insurance because his parents can't afford it who gets nicked?

At the end of the day people have been cycling for well over a hundred years without any government finding there is a public need to insure them.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 17:01 - 15 Feb 2023; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Tax & Insure *all* vehicles? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I would suggest that all vehicles on the road capable of mowing someone down need to be taxed and insured.

Pedestrians are capable of mowing someone down so what about them?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would tax stop people from being killed? It's already illegal to ride them without insurance, but they are still everywhere.

I do think anything on the road should be insured and have a number plate.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:05 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many are killed a year by cyclists?

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/pedestrians-killed-dangerous-cyclists-road-deaths-3812845

Obviously this doesn't look at who was at fault.

How many cyclists in the UK?

https://discerningcyclist.com/how-many-bicycles-are-there-in-the-uk-stats/

How many cyclists killed in the UK?

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-pedal-cyclist-factsheet-2021/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-pedal-cycle-factsheet-2021

Clearly cyclists are more likely to be killed than kill.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Clearly cyclists are more likely to be killed than kill.

I imagine the same will be true of motorcyclists too though, so...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:36 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's the operative term 'motor'. If it is powered purely by the rider it doesn't need to be insured and its ridiculous to expect it to be.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:06 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

New laws are not required. Enforcement of the existing laws is what's needed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And there's the operative term 'motor'. If it is powered purely by the rider it doesn't need to be insured and its ridiculous to expect it to be.

A vehicle that can do >20mph is going to hurt people regardless of the form of motive power. That's what they keep banging on about with all the 20mph zones.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:56 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that it's not just the speed, it's the massive difference in mass of a motorvehicle compared to a person that contributes to the blunt force trauma.

Just how many people do you actually know that could realistically manage 20 mph for any distance without a hill being involved? Try and keep up with one of those electrically assisted things that are restricted to 17 mph....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Just how many people do you actually know that could realistically manage 20 mph for any distance without a hill being involved? Try and keep up with one of those electrically assisted things that are restricted to 17 mph....

Mrs stinkwheel does and if she hit someone they'd be in trouble because she's got tribars on.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Just how many people do you actually know that could realistically manage 20 mph for any distance without a hill being involved?

Plenty of "I'm a pro" wannabes on fancy racing bikes round my way as I'm on the old Olympic route.

Going back to this illegal electric scooter I noticed Currys sell loads of 'em. Why don't the government just ban their sale? "But! But! Private land!" That's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make to save lives Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:06 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Plenty of "I'm a pro" wannabes on fancy racing bikes round my way as I'm on the old Olympic route.

Going back to this illegal electric scooter I noticed Currys sell loads of 'em. Why don't the government just ban their sale? "But! But! Private land!" That's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make to save lives Smile

Are you going to ban electric trials bikes at the same time? If not, how would you legislate the difference between the two?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Those people will all have insurance policies so I presume they're not the intended target of your drive for cyclists to have insurance?

Easy-X wrote:

When has that ever worked?

On a different subject, I think dave001 needs a custom title so suggestions are welcome. Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
New laws are not required. Enforcement of the existing laws is what's needed.

This. Police the illegal e-scooters (and e-bikes whose power is upped and the pedal assist disabled) and crush all offending vehicles. They started to do this but Gov vacillation ,over shall we shan't we make them legal has created a vacuum in which they are used without fear of prosecution.

It will take several more incidents as above before some real enforcement is errm enforced.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:04 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeling ecspurt

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm hearing is "We might only have a tiny problem now and we know it'll only get worse but cba to do anything about it." Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:36 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny problem but it will get worse when people have been cycling for at least a century without any identifiable problem found?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

On a different subject, I think dave001 needs a custom title so suggestions are welcome. Smile

"World's thickest cunt"

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Get in the queue buddy... I think 'punched lasagne' ought to be mine.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:40 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

He displays non-Newtonian thickness. The harder he tries to stir, the thicker he gets. The sort of chap that isn't allowed to have a bath in case he drowns.

As for the original topic, this comes round every couple of years and Stinkwheel has the right answer. Enforce the laws we have.

Electric scooters are a bit of an odd one, in that the laws are particularly shit. Either ban them or allow them, but this current halfway house of them only being legal if rented from a small handful of gig-economy companies feels wrong to me.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So when little Jonny who's 11 goes out on his bike without insurance because his parents can't afford it who gets nicked?

The parents for being cunts and not getting the proper insurance in place before their little hell bastard went out on their bike and injured someone (or themselves).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4