Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tax & Insure *all* vehicles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many laws on the books already, and the police can't enforce them all. Many of these laws are there for a good reason (such as public safety) and others, less so. A better solution might be a sort of leapfrog technology. Let's take, for example, the following low-level social problems:

- E-scooter use in contravention of traffic laws, e.g. wrong side of the road, stunts
- Littering
- Smoking in public places where it's prohibited
- Drinkers in the park
- Addicts living in bins around apartment blocks

Currently, it's a poor use of police resources to chase them up. Throwing more money at the police is no solution, as enforcement action isn't effective. If you throw a homeless man in the clink, or fine him, it isn't really a punishment, because a) he can't pay the fine; b) jail is a temporary respite; c) his real problem is medical (e.g. drug addiction). With underage people committing low-level crimes, there is no real, effective penalty.

So, how do you solve these problems effectively, get social services to the places where they're needed, and information and medical services to those who need it, and make miscreants who deliberately flout the law feel some sort of direct consequence to their actions, and reconsider them in the future? The obvious answer is to curtail their avenues for luxurious or unnecessary consumption. For instance, stop them having access to buses, or to vapes, or the trainers shop, or whatever.

Now, I've read about some pretty impressive facial and gait recognition technology that can even identify people wearing masks. How about this is used as a tracking digital footprint in urban areas, all done by AI, which takes away permissions periodically in case of deviations from what might be individually stipulated social norms? An individual could get a letter in the post they must desist from doing xyz immediately, or they must successfully complete abc recovery programme, and if they do not comply then their accounts won't work on the trains, or at the ice cream shop or Sports Direct or the kebab van? Something like that.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:54 - 18 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've basically described the plan for China there bhud. Social credit score backed up by facial recognition and an opaque scoring system to punish whoever you want.

It isn't a good idea.

My personal approach is to ignore all of these minor non-problems as the cost of having a society, and to avoid reading any news source owned by Murdoch.

Then giggle to myself when I see someone clip a curb with an e-scooter and lose a few teeth.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 18 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Then giggle to myself when I see someone clip a curb with an e-scooter and lose a few teeth.

Like when the local drug dealer smashed into the back window of my car and left enough blood & DNA behind for the forensics to figure out who it was Smile I'm looking forward to explaining the dents if I ever sell the car.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:21 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who has home insurance has Third Party Liability cover for them, their pets and kids when using non motorised vehicles so the insurance is in place 99% of the time so no need to worry about little Timmy on his BMX

E scooters and electric bikes are an odd gap because the law has been woolly about them for a bit so they’re not covered as widely or easily if you want to get cover.

Normal being ridden like knobs by knobs so they can get in the sea IMO. Knuts the lot of em.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:31 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of people don't have house insurance. As previously stated its also not legally needed and society as a whole doesn't see the need for it.

You also seem to be confusing third party insurance with public liability insurance as a householder. Cycling doesn't have any connection with my house so would not cover me whilst cycling. It would cover things directly related to the house like a tile falling off the roof and hitting someone.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first point might be true, I have made the potentially massive assumption that most people would insure their contents but your second point is false. Personal liability is an extension on your contents cover.

I probably should have caveated that I am an insurance underwriter, there are lots of extensions as well as exclusions in an insurance policy that aren’t well known

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't know that and I would imagine it's one of the least claimed aspect of insurance because no-body knows they have it or needs it.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty unmentioned outside of cycling forums (where it’s normally just me and maybe one other person mentioning it) but if someone was properly mullered the courts will know.

I had a look up how many people don’t have insurance and I was quick surprised, almost half of people aren’t insured in London, where I’d have thought they’d need it most. Maybe some kind of general liability wouldn’t be a bad idea for some people.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:04 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you rent and own nothing much of value, why bother with insurance?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:09 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I have contents insurance is because I have to have buildings insurance cause mortgage and it's then a case of 'may as well get it as well'.

The vast majority renting don't bother.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that said some the old twats on mobility scooters should have a Iq test be fore they let em on one

Side issue for today's panel:
Should people on mobility scooters be allowed to park in Boomer Parking (aka disabled bays)?

I thought the point was that they couldn't walk far enough to go round the shops so they take the thing in the shop with them?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I thought the point was that they couldn't walk far enough to go round the shops so they take the thing in the shop with them?

Well. My 90-year-old ma is just capable of tottering around either her home or a shop using a walking stick, but she sure as hell isn't able to make it the half-mile twixt one and the other!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
but if someone was properly mullered the courts will know.

The only time it would come up is if someone was sued and even then it would be the person with the insurance lobbing it at the insurance company and not the courts or the injured party. Can't see the criminal courts even bothering to see ifsomeone had personal liability insurance when setting compensation.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:13 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't compensation from criminal courts somewhat of a token amount rather than one which represents costs past present and future that will be incurred as a result of whatever the incident happened to be?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 22 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this problem coming over a year ago when I started seeing kids as young as 10 zipping around buses and busy traffic on e-scooters.

I think the law as it stands is right - insurance is needed for anything 100% powered. Hence bicycles and power assisted pedaling don't count (the latter won't go unless you pedal in the first place).

Unfortunately the law isn't enforced. It's blatantly obvious when e-scooterists are underage, but the police do nothing.

I predict plenty more of this in the future. I expect the kid in the op who can't be named for legal reasons will get off lightly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 22 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
...insurance is needed for anything 100% powered. Hence bicycles and power assisted pedaling don't count...

This is where I have a problem. It sounds like bicycles get a free pass regarding all laws of the road just because they don't have an engine... sounds motor-ist Wink

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:29 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Tax & Insure *all* vehicles? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Here we go again:

Linda Davis: Electric scooter rider, 14, admits causing woman's death

I would suggest that all vehicles on the road capable of mowing someone down need to be taxed and insured.

More anti scooter PR from sh1tmunchers.The same could have happened with some bloke running for the bus or a kid on a skateboard or even the elderly riding their mobility scooters with the road setting on pavements.

There needs to be a solution for those type of dangers but giving money to undeserving rent seeking industries isn't it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time someone asked whose sock you are.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
What next? insurance for running?

Yes.

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/insurance/running-insurance/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would instaban bad grammar and spelling if I was a mod.

Ste 4 Admin.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I would instaban bad grammar and spelling if I was a mod.

Ste 4 Admin.

^^^I would as well^^^ Wink

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

its the retards like that that or the problem

pepole are getting dummer

Every post of yours that I read makes me want to walk backwards into the sea and sprout gills.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:29 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people reckon it's me that has the problem.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 01 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And people reckon it's me that has the problem.

Well... You do have a few problems big yin but most of us love you. Wub

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:19 - 02 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Abaaba wrote:
What next? insurance for running?

Yes.

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/insurance/running-insurance/

Or being an angry ped with gesticulations causing someone cycling on the pavement to fall into traffic. Insurance for cantankerous old gits!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCoEPPIaec

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's about time someone asked whose sock you are.

You don't have to be a sock to be part of the e-scooterist massiv.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4