Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Competition Sites

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:24 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Competition Sites Reply with quote

anyone on here ever won a bike on one of the competition sites, seems like a new one appears every week

ill not name one as it looks like im posting to advertise it, but i do use one of em, and ive won 4 times fairly recently but never a bike, jackets, boots etc

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one a briefly dabbled with (before I realised just because the chances of winning are hundreds of thousands of times more likely than the national lottery, it's still remote) seemed to have a totally fair and transparent picking mechanism that was carried out live, so unless they are scamming at a severe level (possible) then it seems legit. The one I used tended to have half a dozen or so prizes every 3 or 4 days and it would literally be a single number won it out of all the entries, then they moved onto the next one.

I didn't actually mind it until they started ramping up the overall ticket value (number of tickets x value of each ticket) relative to the worth of the prize. Where it was 20% more or so, fair enough, but now the one I know it's something daft like two to three times the value of the prize, so it's clearly transitioned from "some profit" to "tearing a hole in your wallet" profit.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a ticket for a Tenere once, but didn't win. The site I used let you see everyone's name and how many tickets they bought (surely a GDPR breach) and I realised most people were buying at least 4 tickets, which at £5 each just seems like a stupid waste of money.

A guy in work has a mate that won a Ferrari though Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know (as in have met) from work 4 people that won the Dubai Airport supercar raffle over the years. They bought tickets when travelling through the airport, before they became available on line.

Of course it is far better odds but the ticket price is rather wallet numbing. Laughing

https://www.dubaidutyfree.com/buy-finest-surprise-car/category/Car

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

won twice again recently Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:51 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played BOTB, Apex 66 and TheGiveaway guys. BOTB seems to be the most reputable, but you have to play 'spot the ball' to win, and I'm not a football fan. The others are basically just a draw with an obvious question to answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've played BOTB, Apex 66 and TheGiveaway guys. BOTB seems to be the most reputable, but you have to play 'spot the ball' to win, and I'm not a football fan. The others are basically just a draw with an obvious question to answer.

Yeah, the BOTB spot the ball caught me by suprise when i bought some tickets on there, and like you, as a non football fan, it put me off ever using them again

I mainly use Apex 66 now, probably spend about a tenner a month, not won anything yet though, but at least its better odds than the lottery

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:16 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Yeah, the BOTB spot the ball caught me by suprise when i bought some tickets on there, and like you, as a non football fan, it put me off ever using them again

To be fair I've won my money back on more than one occasion, and one time I won something like 5 times my stake back with one very close guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two people who won cars on these type of sites, one was a lovely RS4.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different to a lottery ticket, a scratch card, chucking £20 in a fruit machine or putting £100 on a three legged donkey in the bookies.

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but you'll get anecdotes of people winning having only parted with £1 on one entry, but the overwhelming majority of people will have ploughed untold amounts of money on the competitions on a weekly basis before they win anything worth a wnak.

Better of buying into premium bonds rather than these raffles.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
No different to a lottery ticket, a scratch card, chucking £20 in a fruit machine or putting £100 on a three legged donkey in the bookies.

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but you'll get anecdotes of people winning having only parted with £1 on one entry, but the overwhelming majority of people will have ploughed untold amounts of money on the competitions on a weekly basis before they win anything worth a wnak.

Totally agree, at least with premium bonds all you lose is interest or to inflation. I imagine some of these companies are laughing, buy a 15k sports bike and have 1000s of people put in money and they get a nice bit of profit if they do their marketing right.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:

I see it quite simply. If someone wants to spend their money, they can spend it however they wish. They earned it: they spend it. How they do that is none of my business and I wish them well whether it's on premium bonds, gold bullion, lottery tickets, a new bike or a wheel of fucking cheese Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I know (as in have met) from work 4 people that won the Dubai Airport supercar raffle over the years. They bought tickets when travelling through the airport, before they became available on line.

Of course it is far better odds but the ticket price is rather wallet numbing. Laughing

https://www.dubaidutyfree.com/buy-finest-surprise-car/category/Car

Winning one of the Filipina birds on the stand would be cheaper and more of a cert. (The gamble then, is if her Pee-Pee would be bigger than your own. Shocked)

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:38 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:

won again last night Smile

ive also got plenty in premium bonds, won on those the last few months in a row

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't 10 grand in premium bonds just about the break even point? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
isn't 10 grand in premium bonds just about the break even point?

Nah, doesn't work like that (how would you define a 'break-even point', anyway?) I mean, the 'average' interest rate is 3.3%; ie if you have £10,000 on average you ought to win £330 per year.
Check out the 'explainer' at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/

The odds of winning £25 from a £1 bond is apparently 1 in 24,000. So if you had £10,000 in bonds, the odds of winning £25 would be 1 in 2.5. So on average you could expect to win £25 every 2 or 3 months. However, with that stake you'd also have a 1 in 6 million chance of winning £1 million. And that works out at winning £1m once every 500,000 years, so there's that.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
isn't 10 grand in premium bonds just about the break even point? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

If I had £10,000.00 to invest right now, I would buying Britannia's and sitting on them.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

If I had £10,000.00 to invest right now, I would buying Britannia's and sitting on them.

Aye, tip to married men - take out a few hundred in cash each month and buy gold coins Sovs, Krugs, Brits W.H.Y and bury them in the garden (or similar) - make it a varying amount not £250 each month

When she leaves, Bingo - instant nest egg!

When the lawyers ask - what did you do with that cash each month - confess a gambling addiction - the stress of concealing it was a contributing factor to the breakdown, sob, sob..

On the other hand if you actually like her and stay married, come retirement Bingo - instant nest egg. Darling look how clever I've been saving for that World Cruise/New Kitchen/Fake Tits for you.

Win-Win.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:38 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do reasonably well off premium bonds, especially recently, they have upped the prizes quite a few times the last few months

won £175 last month, £125 month before, £150 month before that

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Aye, tip to married men - take out a few hundred in cash each month and buy gold coins Sovs, Krugs, Brits W.H.Y and bury them in the garden (or similar) - make it a varying amount not £250 each month

When she leaves, Bingo - instant nest egg!

When the lawyers ask - what did you do with that cash each month - confess a gambling addiction - the stress of concealing it was a contributing factor to the breakdown, sob, sob..

On the other hand if you actually like her and stay married, come retirement Bingo - instant nest egg. Darling look how clever I've been saving for that World Cruise/New Kitchen/Fake Tits for you.

Win-Win.

Actually this is a good idea. Good for avoiding having easily findable assets if you go bankrupt too Laughing

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife would wonder why I've all of a sudden started turning the flower beds over once a week when I haven't as much as looked at a flower or a blade of grass in 17 years.

Nice idea though.

I'll continue stuffing my mattress and papering the walls with the stuff.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:42 - 18 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is allowed so just delete if not, but one of the sites I use has started a referral scheme, if you visit the site using my link and spend at least £1, you will get £10 web credit and so will I, so you can £11 worth of entries for £1 spend

I have won about 8 times on this site so its 100% legit, and a lad at work I referred recently won £500 on there

https://www.apex66.co.uk/?raf=ref2063355

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have won some crazy shit on comp sites:-

Nissan GTR
Range Rover Sport
Omega / Tudor watches
£30,000
RTX 4090

+ loads of smaller prizes over the past few years too

Last edited by Jayy on 21:02 - 21 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to buy a few tickets for the current Omaze house in Norfolk. I'd go live in it for a year giving the whole
family a chance to stay there for a little break. Then I'd flog the bastard and move back to the South East into somewhere
a bit more modest and permanently retire on the change. They reckon this ones worth £4.5m Shocked

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm tempted to buy a few tickets for the current Omaze house in Norfolk. I'd go live in it for a year giving the whole
family a chance to stay there for a little break. Then I'd flog the bastard and move back to the South East into somewhere
a bit more modest and permanently retire on the change. They reckon this ones worth £4.5m Shocked

I got Omaze once and forgot to cancel it so it runs to this day. The weird thing about Omaze is they don't tell you if you win anything. You need to manually check your numbers against their draws. I won a £100 voucher one time but that's all I've ever had from them.

I like the Norfolk house though, I really like the one in Islington they did recently. That was the first one I ever seen where I thought I would keep it if I won instead of selling it Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6