Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Late night thoughts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:51 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Late night thoughts Reply with quote

Anyone else have random thoughts at night?

Was listening to a thing on yootoob tonight on the Chernobyl Liuidators.

It meantioned about the helicopters, dropping sand, clay, borax(?). On the fire.
Got me wondering, would it have been better to just cap the fire, let it burn, and use filters to catch the radiatoion?

Yes I spend ALOT, of time on my own.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Late night thoughts Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
I spend ALOT, of time on my own.

Maybe you should spend some of that time learning how to spell Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:47 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap it with what? Put a filter on where?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in fantasy land at night.

and in the day after a bottle of the Captains finest.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:17 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was not a traditional fire. It was bot subject to the usual rules regarding fuel, heat and oxygen.

The radioativity creates heat. The melted core material gets hotter and hotter until it potentially melts it's way to the centre of the earth. It's called the China Syndrome.

In reality what would happen in this instance is that astoundingly hot corium (yes, there is a mineral called corium, the result of nuclear reactors that have melted down) meets fuck loads of ground water, resulting in an even bigger explosion and much wider spread of radioative material.

This didn't happen in the end but it was considered to be such a great risk that miners tunneled underneath the reactor floor in preparation to install liquid nitrogen cooling beneath the concrete base of the reactor building to prevent the heat melting it.

Caping the fire wasn't an option in the first place because it's akin to caping a football stadium size ruined building.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:36 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also important to remember that all of this was happening in secret, or at least being denied. It's difficult to assemble a football-stadium sized concrete cap, quickly and quietly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:39 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only secret for about 3 days. The jig was up once it started triggering radiation alarms in Swedish power plants.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:50 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borax and sand would effectively cap it anyway because it'll fuse in to silica glass from the heat as well as tying up any heavy elements within the glass structure. A bit like when you use it as a flux when you fire-assay precious metals.

I suppose there's a risk of it concentrating the heavy metals in one place under the glass though, increasing the criticality effect. I wonder if adding lead salts to the mix would have encouraged the heavies to form a less rich alloy.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The borax absorbs neutrons, damping down the reactions. thats why they chose it.

Not that they actually managed to drop any of it accurately enough to make a difference, though.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop drinking coffee after midday .... or mouldy cheese .... Neutral

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna think about ancient Egypt again, tonight. Predynastic Egypt, and how they made those precision cut vases. And about what the weathering marks on the the Sphynx mean. Again...

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:34 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
stop drinking coffee after midday .... or mouldy cheese .... Neutral

How do you drink cheese?

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:37 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It was only secret for about 3 days. The jig was up once it started triggering radiation alarms in Swedish power plants.

Not forgetting the bloke who went to work here.
Set off the alarms, until they tested the carpark (think it was), amd found that was massively high too.

Also, different but same.

The rain that fell here a few days later.
Is there is a link between, Chernobyl and cases of cancer and stuff in that age group, if they were out in it. Particularlly upper body.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:41 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

The rain that fell here a few days later.
Is there is a link between, Chernobyl and cases of cancer and stuff in that age group, if they were out in it. Particularlly upper body.

As the biggest risk this far away is Iodine causing thyroid cancer. It was a big issue in Ukraine, not really an issue here.

I know a lot of milk was thrown away at the beginning but that was likely caesium, falling onto the grass and being eaten.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:57 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There weren't as many cancer deaths as you'd think, 3940 according to the WHO, about 3% over the baseline. A lot of thyroid cancers but they were mostly treatable. Quite a few deaths from the explosion itself and acute radiation sickness in the initial liquidators.

There were way more excess deaths attributable to the massive social displacement.

https://apps.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2005/pr38/en/index1.html

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

How do you drink cheese?

Does cheese turn into liquid?
The basic building blocks of cheese are milk protein (casein), water, fat, and salt. When heated, the protein molecules break apart and become fluid. Melting, a phase change from a solid to a liquid isn't really happening, the cheese becomes fluid, much like what happens to plastic when it's heated.

on second thoughts ... start drinkin yer bastid Rolling Eyes Laughing Middle Finger

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always ask them next time you're in Pripyat Wink

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The borax absorbs neutrons, damping down the reactions. thats why they chose it.

Not that they actually managed to drop any of it accurately enough to make a difference, though.

Boron is an extremely effective neutron damper and borate damping systems are part of the emergency control system for nuclear reactors. Boron is also used in control rods for the same reasons.

Considering the initial hydrogen explosion blew the 2000 ton reactor lid through the roof of the containment and core material, graphite blocks, and sundry rubble all over what remained of the roof, various rooms and reactor hall floors, capping it wasn't an option. The primary goal would have been to damp down any reactions, cool the core material down and get the debris contained to limit the escape of radionuclides.

This is what they were faced with

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Chernobyl_rubble_and_steam_tanks_overlaid.gif

For scale the lid which can be seen laying at an angle in the middle of the wreckage is 17 metres in diameter and 3 metres thick.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seem to remember news articles about sheep here being born here in Blighty with defects- extra limbs and such, some time after the Ruskie meltdown?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sheep in wales had too high a level of radioactivity for human consumption, no horrific mutations identified. The sheep were tested every three months to check if the radioactivity was within acceptable limits and when radioactivity is concerned these limits are very strict.

Wildlife in the exclusion zone is extensive. Very little signs that wildlife are suffering from the excess radioactivity in the zone are found. Most are animals (and plants) that have particular needs. For example grazers that crop the grass so low they are picking up caesium.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:55 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tl;dr the concerns about safety and the realistic impacts.

Nuclear safety guidelines are incredibly risk-averse. The huge exclusion zone around Chernobyl reflects that. Most of the exclusion zone wouldn't actually be very dangerous to live in, you would have somewhat elevated risk of radiation-related illnesses, but not insta-death or weird mutation territory.

If the same level of risk avoidance was used for carbon monoxide, sulphur oxides or nitrous oxides, we wouldn't' be able to drive internal combustion vehicles or have gas boilers in our homes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:57 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and while we have a good idea of the likely effect of high dose exposure (lots of data from the Japan bombings), the understanding of low to moderate doses isn't as well understood.

There's an assumption that the degree of harm is linear but it's probably the case of there being more of a sharp drop-off as dose decreases. There being a point at which the biological repair mechanisms cope with the damage. I remember seeing one study that looked at people who lived in high background radiation areas (like Aberdeen) and high exposure jobs (like airline pilots) and they didn't see a significantly higher rate of cancers in those populations. If I took a piece of Aberdeen granite into Sellafield, it would set off alarms.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:13 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some studies seem to indicate a higher background level of radiation is actually preferable. The trouble is, because radiation exposure risk is based on statistical increase of risk of getting cancer, it's hard to prove one way or the other.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I'm gonna think about ancient Egypt again, tonight. Predynastic Egypt, and how they made those precision cut vases. And about what the weathering marks on the the Sphynx mean. Again...

Yes, also do not forget that pyramids are on at least three continents (Africa, Asia, South America) and some of them with a plenty of similarities. I'm only talking about those pyramids that we found so far. Now, how's that possible? A pyramid sure is way too specific structure to be a pure coincidence. The builders either could do inter continental travel or maybe even could communicate with each other. The third alternative would be a much more advanced civilization telling the builders all over the world what a pyramid is and what shape should it be. Regardless of all that, it is odd that all those civilizations living so a apart from each other put special emphasis on the pyramid shape. Even when Egyptians ran out of money for more pyramids they still kept the shape in mind when building the King's valley. Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:56 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or looking at it another way. A pyramid is just a pile with straight sides. If you make a big heap of rocks, you get a cone. If you make a slightly more controlled heap of stones using cut stones laid straight, you get a pyramid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3