ULEZ and historic bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:32 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Has your CB250 ever been assessed for your claim it will never overheat?

Surely if he's been using it for

Robby wrote:
some years

in city traffic, then it's fair to say, by any reasonable metric, that his CB250 is tried and tested? Of course it might break down, but are you seriously suggesting that modern stuff is 100% guaranteed not to?

The truth is that people don't commonly ride 40+ YO bikes in the urban scramble because most lack the skills and/or level of interest required, not because it's 'eccentric' or whatever.

I ran a 1986 Helix as my daily for several years, up to the point where it was about 30 YO, so not quite a historic vehicle but a considerable age nonetheless. It suited my purpose so well that I went out of my way to look after it. They weren't even common back in the day, so I would keep an eye out for 2nd hand bits/crashed/wrecked ones on Gumtree, strip them and stash the bits for that 'rainy day'.

I ran it for the best part of six years in city traffic (not London, but still...) and it never over-heated, but then why would it? The motor was a 250cc single that knocked out just 19BHP when it was new, so hardly what you would call over-stressed. The only times it was out of use was when - like any modern - it needed service parts or tyres etc. It goes without saying that you need a bit of mechanical empathy running an old 'un as your daily; you develop an ear for new noises and work to pre-empt possible failures. But that's OK, because despite all the plastic bodywork, these are utterly basic, piss-simple machines to work on (unlike much of the modern stuff I've encountered).

It was comfortable, accelerated well up to about 50mph, had a massively capacious boot and the big screen and body kept the rain and road shit off you. Obviously I could have chopped it in for a new Burgman or similar, but that would have cost me £££ and it wouldn't have been any better than the Helix at doing it's job, so where would have been the logic in me doing that?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
That's the equivalent.

No it's not. That car has to sit in traffic, a motorcycle does not. That car still has to pay the congestion charge, a motorcycle does not. That car would a fair well equipped garage (lifts, trolley jacks etc.) to maintain and I would argue a motorcycle requires a lot less.

Apples & Oranges Rolling Eyes

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all arguments and anecdotes and unless someone is actually relying on a 40 year old bike to make a necessary commute into London, it's all moot. It's obvious and common sense to choose a more modern bike if you have to commute through London on one, and that's why when you stand beside a busy road in London, the bikes and scooters you see there are all fairly modern. Or old by some people's standards. Just not 40 years old. Sure, I could ride into London on a 40 year old bike for the hell of it. But that proves nothing. Common sense prevails in real life.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:01 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepared to bet money that people are commuting in on Superdreams still.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:29 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

I mean, imagine driving this into central London, not for a show or for an event or to visit relatives or whatever, but daily, in the rush hour, to get to work or your place of business:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2717147733_ce782186f3_z.jpg

That's the equivalent.

A mate of mine had a viva as his daily driver which he sold a couple of years ago. Admittedly his has a 2 litre turbo diesel engine in it....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Into London? Not seen one in the last ten or more years. Of course London is a big place and I'm sure there must be the odd one making the commute but they sure ain't common.

Most Superdream engines are plain clapped out after 40k miles anyway.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's all arguments and anecdotes and unless someone is actually relying on a 40 year old bike to make a necessary commute into London, it's all moot. It's obvious and common sense to choose a more modern bike if you have to commute through London on one, and that's why when you stand beside a busy road in London, the bikes and scooters you see there are all fairly modern. Or old by some people's standards. Just not 40 years old. Sure, I could ride into London on a 40 year old bike for the hell of it. But that proves nothing. Common sense prevails in real life.

What's your motive here? Are you trying to put people off old bikes just for the preservation aspects or do you suspect TFL will go ape if ppl start using them regularly?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't enough commutable 40yr old bikes around to make it worthwhile TFL worrying about it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:39 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Bikes are designed to tolerate bigger temperature swings than anyone in blighty can throw at them.

I just disliked the effect of your fairing acting like a chimney, by blowing hot air at your gonads, as soon as you were stationary for more than 10 seconds.

It was that and cvnts. Cvnts were the other thing in summer in London that I also disliked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
You don't need a 1980's boxer just get a 2003-on oil cooled one with wonderful fuel injection and a get-out-of-ulez-free letter from BMW and off you go. Much cheaper than an old air cooled, miles more reliable and all the spares available off the shelf. Mine's just about to roll over 120k miles this morning.

I agree, I was addressing the OP's assertion that a historic bike is completely inappropriate and will melt an engine block on day one if it doesn't break down first.
Yes, that is an exaggeration of his opening post, but much shorter.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:26 - 18 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That would be me ,although only 2 days a week and not into central London
Its a 400n pretty nippy ,narrow and great for filtering ,good on fuel and not really nickable

Im taking it to France in 6 weeks ,going to convert it to tubeless tyres 1st
Its mot and tax free ,ulez exempt and 40 quid a year to insure

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 18 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Its a 400n pretty nippy ,narrow and great for filtering ,good on fuel and not really nickable

Im taking it to France in 6 weeks ,going to convert it to tubeless tyres 1st
I thought they were tubeless already?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 19 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
I thought they were tubeless already?

No they're not. Comstars iirc never had the hump to retain the tyre bead and were never rated by Honda as being able to retain air.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 19 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Comstars iirc never had the hump to retain the tyre bead and were never rated by Honda as being able to retain credibility

FTFY Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:58 - 19 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "get" whats been discussed here, but por favor...in 3 years or so we hit 1986 era, when watercooling became common enough. Buy something now, spend some time fixing it making it pretty and then treat yourself when 2026 comes around.

The scoot I'm currently preparing to give Kahn a big FU is 1986 suzuki, which has oil cooled pistons, water cooled head and air cooled cylinders. SATCS, and is fitted with an independent oil cooler in anycase.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You claim to have been doing one or 2 jap bike builds a year for a while yet then go on to suggest that they arent reliable and overheat often?

Have you considered you may not be as good at the mechanical side of things that you think you are?

to put it another way. Ive had roughly 15 or so different Japanese 80s oilcooled/ aircooled engines of varying CCs and configurations over the years, the ONLY one that overheated was a shitheap Z250 that are model specific known to have weak oil pumps.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
You claim to have been doing one or 2 jap bike builds a year for a while yet then go on to suggest that they arent reliable and overheat often?

Have you considered you may not be as good at the mechanical side of things that you think you are?

Among my bike projects was a Kawasaki GT550. It was a non-runner, I completed it, and it was perfect.

You claim to have had a GT550. Is that actually true? Just wondering, because on the subject of mechanical competence, I found a post of yours here where you stated that the output shaft on a GT550 (shaft drive) was longer than the output shaft on a Z550 (same engine but chain drive). This is false. The opposite is true.

Another question for you. Do you actually regularly ride an old aircooled bike in London? Are you aware of the 20mph zones? Do you know what the signs of overheating are, on a bike?

Answers on a postcard please.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=237707

virus wrote:
If you do go to split it and replace broken gearbox parts, z550 pars will work with the exeption of the output shaft, all they did to convert the z550 into the gt550 was fit a longer output shaft and a bevel box for the driveshaft on there, gears should all be the same iirc

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:31 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
I "get" whats been discussed here, but por favor...in 3 years or so we hit 1986 era, when watercooling became common enough. Buy something now, spend some time fixing it making it pretty and then treat yourself when 2026 comes around.

The scoot I'm currently preparing to give Kahn a big FU is 1986 suzuki, which has oil cooled pistons, water cooled head and air cooled cylinders. SATCS, and is fitted with an independent oil cooler in anycase.

That's a great bike but just so you know, there's sometimes a consensus reality in matters concerning bikes which has little relation with actual reality... In this case (again just so you know) TfL has already published its plans to scrap ULEZ very soon and replace it with road charging, using the ULEZ cameras in the expanded zone. Nobody bothers to read that stuff but it's all on the TfL website. There's also a document saying that ULEZ as a whole has too many exemptions, and they don't like exemptions, and that road pricing solves that problem. So your strategy might entail pointless cost and be ultimately futile. I am just being a realistic person.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

20mph is neither here nor there as at least there's some airflow. Stopping and starting a lot a lights makes the big difference, My father-in-law's Harley was marginally affected by overheating one time by such traffic/roads but what would one expect from a 1.7 litre engine built by unambitious Americans?

You still haven't shared your motives unless I've missed a post somewhere,

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no ulterior motive - just that aircooled bikes are designed to be cooled down by the passage of air over them. Over the past 30 or so years, for example, the Hammersmith flyover has been regularly closed down. But it could be anything - a demonstration, an incident, or whatever. If there's a big build-up of traffic, a motorbike could be held up for quite a long time. In that situation, imagine you filter forwards as much as you can. You don't know when traffic will move. You switch off the engine after a few minutes. You think it will move so you turn it on again. You move forward a few metres. You wait several minutes, turn it off, etc. You just don't know how close you are to having a problem, if you have an aircooled bike, in that situation. What if it's a 40+ degree day, like in 2022? There is that uncertainty there. Most of the time, it will be fine. But how "most"? Is, for example, a 1 out of 50 possibility of failure an acceptable probability for a commuter?

Also, there's the point that the exemption will disappear just a little bit sooner if the bangernomics people jump on badly maintained, noisy and conspicuous old bikes to thumb their nose at Khan. But anyway, that can't be helped.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

You claim to have had a GT550. Is that actually true?

1) Ive never claimed to have had a gt550.

2) If you have to search through my post history for something over a decade old to retort with then maybe my initial assumption was correct.

3) your quote of mine was an anecdote based on a conversation over a few beers with a friend who did a shaft to chain final drive swap on that era GT. Please forgive me for not remembering which particular part was the longer or shorter one whilst explaining that they are incompatible (which they are, but you knew that).
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only remembered it because I'd searched for GT550 stuff when I was doing that project, and came up with it on Google. That was years ago and it doesn't matter. The point is, we have to make decisions based on what we do know and what we don't know, and what we don't know can be more important than what we do know.

I mean, look at this guy's channel, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcxcOWPcVIykzWG_lqWuRWg/videos

It's a horror story of one major mechanical failure after another, with those old bikes. I can't see any fun or utility in those bikes at all. Who wants a bike that's one headache after another? No wonder they don't get used. Those bikes may have lasted for not as long as more modern Japanese bikes, but the potential points of failure are in many cases the same. We fix issues as they arise, and this is normal "maintenance" - exactly the same as the owners of the old bikes on that channel once did or perhaps still do. But a time comes when something just wears out or breaks, and then it needs the expertise and tool skills of a specialist like that guy. So I'm not trying to be right here. I just think it's a bit left field to try to counter the ULEZ problem with a 40+ year old bike vs, say, a 15 year old compliant bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pass the popcorn

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:21 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, a 80s GT or GSX is less likely to be a pain that a highly stressed 90's 00's or 10's bike.

I know a guy who's still riding a FJ into the office as a daily rider.

In addition it's amazing how many air cooled bikes are still knocking round asia and africa where it's inherently warmer than the UK and with little maintenance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3