Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decent(ish) Cheap(ish) Tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:02 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Decent(ish) Cheap(ish) Tyres? Reply with quote

For a Bandit 1250?

Let's get real here: I commute, tour and play (pretty restrained) silly buggers.

Yeah, yeah... I know - tyre hyperbole: Like every latest tyre is the best tyre ever, but I was pretty well blown away (and I mean quantum leap, blown away) when Michelin PR2s came out in the mid 2000s and I haven't felt the same quantum leap improvement with any tyre that I've used on any bike since.

So what's a decent (road normal) tyre these days?

Thanking you. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:07 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going with the PR4, road5 or 6 as the best general purpose, roadgoing sportsbike tyre out there. Not the cheapest to buy, but they last and work really well even when well worn.

I was using maxxis supermaxx before that when i was doing a lot of long motorway and a-road work, they are cheap and ok. I'm not convinced they work out cheaper per mile.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Decent(ish) Cheap(ish) Tyres? Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
So what's a decent (road normal) tyre these days?

You mean decent(ish) and cheap(ish) - and that's these, which for a set (120 front and 180 rear) is £162:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/pirelli-diablo-motorcycle-tyre-package-2003075/

Needless to say, for you those may be neither decent-ish nor cheap-ish enough. Most likely they're cheap enough but insufficiently decent.

If you've ever run a set of those, I'd be interested to know how you think they compare to the P2s. Sfaik, the Diablos have been around a fair while - longer than the P2s.

Bear with me a sec - I've got two ZX9rs. One has Diablos on it, the other Bridgestone T30s. The latter cost nearly twice as much iirc. Are they twice as good? No. They ARE better, but not 100% better. More like 50% better. Let's say I get 4-5k out of the Diablos. I get maybe 7k out of the T30s. I have had 10k, but never again.

Aside from longevity, the profile of the Diablos isn't quite as gradual feeling as the T30s, so to me they lack a sense of cosseting and reassurance on more technical roads. But it's much of a muchness. And what's more, I've come to the conclusion that the fronts on the Diablos wear more evenly than those on the T30s - and that definitely counts against the Bridgestones for me.

I'm just repeating stuff from the Touring Tyres for a CBR500 thread, though:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=335207

I suppose all I'm really saying is that those old Diablo tyres are imo "good enough". Btw they're not bad in the wet, either. I was surprised by that tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not completely convinced including "cheapish" as a parameter for tyre choice is a good idea . . . the price difference between "cheapish" and "decent" is unlikely to be worth the additional peace of mind and performance/safety benefits.

I'm a big fan for Road 5s, apparently the 6s are even better, but the Road 5s are brilliant IMO.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the best person to perhaps comment as I always buy the cheapest I can from Taiwanese and Vietnamese makes etc. No more than £20 for a brand new tyre that sort of thing. They're much better than they were.

Anyway- the one tyre I do have and will probably keep buying on the particular machine is an Avon Roadrider II AM26.

It's old tyre design but I'm approaching 20,000 miles on the front of one of the bikes Shocked It is still round and unscalloped etc and still feels relatively nice grip wise despite being 8 years old. Laughing

Last edited by blurredman on 11:26 - 24 Feb 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirelli angel st are cheap. Pretty sure the set I bought for my vfr800fi early autumn last year were around £165 with an eBay code. They are a huge improvement over the contis I had on the bike before.

Like you I thought the road 2s were superb, I've not done many miles on the angels personally, but my brother went through a set on his cbr600f through all weather's and found them great and durable, hence my purchase. Only downside is single compound.

Found these. £180 posted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165477737892?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=LDazTPH6QAC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=haVG-5jWR_C&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:13 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all so far. I'm not really looking at going for the cheapest but...

I was a Michelin fan boy for years, and as I said, I found the PR2 to be excellent. But since then I've been through the PR3, 4 and most recently the PR5 and never really felt the later ones to be much of an improvement.

My current bike came shod with nearly new Bridgestone BT023 and to be honest, I've not had a single issue with them.

Which makes me wonder if I've been overpaying for my tyres. The PR5 and 6 are at the upper end of the price range and I can't help wondering if something a bit more mid-priced might suit me just as well these days.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really dont get putting cheap tyres on a high performance vehicle, especially if you ride in varied weather conditions. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i really dont get putting cheap tyres on a high performance vehicle, especially if you ride in varied weather conditions. Confused

If you do around 20k per 12 months, you can find yourself putting close to 4 sets a year on (assuming you're enjoying your bike - and I don't mean traffic light grand prix stuff, i just mean rolling on heartily from 40 to 80+, etc.). That could be nudging a grand with fitting. Maybe a chunk more.

Also, and as I said, if you have two bikes the same - one with quite expensive tyres on, and one with pretty affordable tyres - you can get a very good idea of precisely how much difference there actually is. Any placebo effect can be ruled out. Just to repeat - I found the dearer tyres to be better....but not by much. What's more, the front on the cheaper set wore better imo. And, in terms of wet weather, I almost want to say the cheaper ones were marginally better. In any case, the difference was nowhere near as stark as I'd imagined it'd be.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want really decent then Road 5 or Road 6. They feel solid and confidence inspiring from the off and work really well in both wet and dry conditions.

If you want cheap with decent grip then Conti Motion.

The Contis perform well wet and dry (I've run them on my Bandit 1200) but watch the wear markers - once you're down to them you'll wear through to carcass surprisingly quickly.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contimotion were what I just removed from my vfr, the rear is still like new, have it as a spare. But the front was dangerous. Unsure if it had worn unevenly as it looked ok, but it would give a death wobble at 30mph, accelerating or decelerating.
So I swapped out to the angel st as mentioned above and the handling is night and day better. A new conti front was considered, but decided to go to proper sports touring rubber instead.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1