Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Islington now charging for motorcycle parking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 06:47 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Islington now charging for motorcycle parking Reply with quote

Bit of a surprise yesterday, parked in Old Street in a bay that has been there for years and as I left i noticed a sign saying you now have to pay. Bit of a surprise, not seen anything about this anywhere.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:

https://londonbikebays.co.uk/islington/

...and nothing else. No wait, digging deep I found this:

https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/where-to-park/pay-for-short-stay-parking

and this:

https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/parking-price-changes-2023

"Following a review..." huh? Can't find any details on this so-called review neither can I find any consultations. It seems they've slipped this in when no one was looking Thinking

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really milking it now with additional surcharge of £6.50 per hour for any diesel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/parking-permit-costs-table

FUCK ME. Is that complicated enough? And it will be enforced by Islington's army of surly African wardens
with sub Saharan IQ levels too?. What could possibly go wrong? Shocked I had MANY a run in with their wardens in my
van courier days. Pig headed, arrogant, on a bonus and sneaky as fuck. If you cant see from this that they don't want
us to have personal transport AT ALL, then you may have a bright future as a Traffic Warden in Islington. £900 a year
to park outside your own house, on top of all of Khans charges if you have the gall to actually want to go somewhere
in your own vehicle. Unbelievable. What worries me is Islington is a shining beacon of what Bristol council wants for itself.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say this so often I may as well be an advocate: what are the Deliveroo crowd going to think? If a parking bay is full in the City it's full of clapped out perpetual L-plate scooters.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd thing here. I can find the statutory consultations by Hackney and Camden over their various parking changes but I can't find any reference to a statutory consultation by Islington council so an FOIA request may shortly be winging it's way to them

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology innit, Back in the day you couldn't charge bikes because the ticket could be stolen or blown away.. now they have fuckin' RingGo..

Might also be work asking what you do if you don't have a mobile phone..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Technology innit, Back in the day you couldn't charge bikes because the ticket could be stolen or blown away.. now they have fuckin' RingGo..

Might also be work asking what you do if you don't have a mobile phone..

'Throughout the borough drivers can pay for short stay parking via RingGo or at Paypoint shops with cash.''

Hmm.. so what happens if you get nicked while on your way to the Paypoint shop?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO this is odd. The charges operate 24 hours a day excepting Sundays and yet I believe you can park on single yellows after 18.30 on weekdays and after 13.30 on a Saturday so the parking for in bike specific places actually charges more than for other vehicles.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 190 days between these two posts...

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:26 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
They are really milking it now with additional surcharge of £6.50 per hour for any diesel.

Thieving Bastards

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, charging for motorbike parking, surcharge for petrol cars, surcharge for diesel cars.

Soon it'll be like Ryanair where you have to check in at a pre-arranged time and print your own parking ticket in advance and then you lose your parking spot and get fined anyway.

If I lived in Islington I just wouldn't bother with a car or bike frankly...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 20 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimster wrote:
If I lived in Islington I just wouldn't bother with a car or bike frankly...

Or just don't bother with Islington full stop. London in general is an inhospitable place Sad

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:29 - 22 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the thing that gets my goat, they always use the green agenda for robbing motorists. People in general.

Yet the public transport system is an absolute shitshow, I remember having to regularly get trains a while back when I had eye surgery. More than half the time they were delayed or cancelled and not just by a couple of minutes. The return was £26 odd for a 50 minute journey I could do in 45 on the bike and would cost maybe £12 in fuel

Twice I had to pay fees for rebooking appointments on that as well because even trying to get there an hour early there was no physical way to get there by train.

They say they want us to use public transport but do nothing to make it a reasonable alternative.

And then there's how bloody expensive new vehicles are. I can't afford to dump £10k on a new bike, my mortgage is going up by £500 before long. Most working people are in the same boat - rent or mortgage skyrocketing? You don't go out and buy a new vehicle

I won't deny climate change needs to be tackled but fuck me they'd struggle to go about it in any worse of a way, it's like they're actively trying to piss people off.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 22 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:
I won't deny climate change needs to be tackled but fuck me they'd struggle to go about it in any worse of a way, it's like they're actively trying to piss people off.

Lefties hate poor people. What better way to pay for the latest scam than to rob them en masse Sad

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 22 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lefties would tax a mud hut for not being environmentally sound.
People say to increase corporation tax, but that trickles down to the working man in higher costs for things.
I have a radical idea, how about spending within your budgets, I have to. If you haven't got £100 million to spare, don't spend it on cycle lanes that cycles wont use, don't spend it on blocking roads up to force vehicles along fewer roads and then say that there is congestion along those roads.
If you are going to spend money on the roads, make sure the finished surface is of a standard that all road users can safely use it.
Stop spending money on Woke crap. Stop trying to be the world leader in crippling your country, let the others catch up and overtake us.

I'd give £12.50 if they could regulate the tide coming in and out while I'm on the beach. Oh wait, they can't even do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 22 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

With parking charges for motorcycles The Message is clear: the entire concept of private vehicle ownership is wrong and to be discouraged Sad

I wonder if anyone's done a cost analysis of going back to horses? No Congestion Charge, no LEZ/ULEZ, no parking tickets, no MoT, no tax, no fuel duty, no insurance (although you'd be mad not to have the last one.)

There's buying a horse - a few grand - stabling, feeding, vets bills, etc. but that's just equivalent to a garage, petrol station, mechanics bills... at some point horses will be cheaper and easier, the way things are going Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1