Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Street Legal Exhausts.... Not street legal!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:51 - 02 Mar 2023    Post subject: Street Legal Exhausts.... Not street legal! Reply with quote

Ok this is a tough one.
The new bike came with a 250mm Black widow... And frankly the things loud...
It has the baffle in and my local MOT guy said he wouldnt pass it.
Checking black windows site, they state that the noise level is legal and passes MOT.

I also looked at some other UK made brands. One states that their 98db exhausts are road legal too and would pass MOT... Again when googling Im seeing figures of legal limits being well bellow that.

So what gives? Are these "street legal" pipes anything but street legal or is the law not clear?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 02 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just to pass the MOT, you could get another baffle (they aren't expensive) and either fit it reversed in the front end of the can or up into the end of the pipe. Or just a longer, more restrictive baffle that fits in the normal way.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:22 - 02 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his opinion it's too loud so take it to a friendlier MOT person. Wink

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:09 - 02 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
In his opinion it's too loud so take it to a friendlier MOT person. Wink

Tbh its not just the MOT, its the whole noise camera thing as well... Theyre rolling it out to other areas... And frankly. I cant handle getting fines right now.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:17 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say it's a 200mm or 230mm exhaust that you've got as they don't make a 250mm one for the FZ8. Wink

Regardless of such details, Black Widow describe those as being "designed for an aggressive sound" so you can either do what Mr Stinky Wheels says and stick a bigger baffle in it or you're going to have to buy an exhaust that's not quite so obnoxiously loud.

Rain

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last MOT resulted in a noisy exhaust advisory. I've had my perfectly street legal
SP cans on for a few years now and used the same MOT place for those years but there are two different testers there.
One is cool and the other is clearly scared of his own shadow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Loud" is just a number, whether it's acceptable is subjective.

The old fella's Harley with the Vance & Heinz 57 exhaust is fucking loud (with baffles) but reluctantly I have to admit the exhaust note has character. Even so he still takes it way over past Gatwick to get it MoT'd.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:35 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything non standard most people just mark as "noisy"

Just go to a less moody person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:36 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha get a decent MOT tester.

Failing that get a cheap eBay baffle (restrictive as hell) and bung it in just for MOT.

I’ve still not had anyone tell me what the noise threshold is for these cameras, do they check type approval via ANPR as well as noise? Because one of my bikes is 108db and completely legal (old shite from 1972), in fact if I wanted I could take the cans off and run stingers and no one would have any say in it.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle is not clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition."

8.1.1 in the book. I suggest finding a tester that isnt 'clearly unreasonable' Wink
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
Failing that get a cheap eBay baffle (restrictive as hell) and bung it in just for MOT.

I have two of these:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uXMAAOSw4Qlg5UcV/s-l300.jpg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133810572451

With just a baffle I find my exhaust note acceptable but the other I have wrapped in fibre glass and it reduces the noise to sewing machine original OEM levels.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Street Legal Exhausts.... Not street legal! Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
Ok this is a tough one.
Checking black windows site, they state that the noise level is legal and passes MOT.

I also looked at some other UK made brands. One states that their 98db exhausts are road legal too and would pass MOT... Again when googling Im seeing figures of legal limits being well bellow that.

So what gives? Are these "street legal" pipes anything but street legal or is the law not clear?

go somewhere else where tester aint a wanker

there is no set db noise level for mot its down to the testers discretion
they dont have any noise testing gear

if there worryed they can put it down as an advisary to cover there selfs

/\ This.

There's an edjit in Motherwell does bike stuff.

He's a prick with ears.

His Mrs. Is a lovely lassie too. Shame.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Street Legal Exhausts.... Not street legal! Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Ok this is a tough one.

It isn't legal, you know it isn't legal, so get a legalish end can.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:57 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Street Legal Exhausts.... Not street legal! Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
Ok this is a tough one.

It isn't legal, you know it isn't legal, so get a legalish end can.

Doing just that... tbh legal or not i think its too loud just for me.

Anyone have any opinions on pipe werx?
considering
https://www.pipewerx.co.uk/webshop/yamaha/fz8-2008/carbonedge-sl-exhausts/fz8-2008-pipe-werx-stainless-steel-round-carbonedge-street-legal-exhaust/
or
https://www.pipewerx.co.uk/webshop/yamaha/fz8-2008/fz8-2008-pipe-werx-plain-titanium-round-street-legal-exhaust/

I dont want to spend more than that tbh...

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a better MOT man, my bike has a standard NOS silencer with no baffles but because of age it needs no MOT but I know a guy that would pass it no questions asked.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 250mm exhaust you have is obviously not road legal. Anyone who pretends it is is a liar. Not only is it loud it sounds shít and pisses people off. If you get nicked for it good, you are being a dick by having it.
You bought the bike with the 250mm on it, you thought 'thats cool, all the girlies will get moist' then realised the only attention it would get you is from the po po or neighbours lynching you.
Don't deny it, if it wasn't true you would have beaten a hundred off the price for a new silencer.

You could just buy the Black Widow 400mm Stainless exhaust which is £120 which would be louder than standard but not at dick levels.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:53 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The 250mm exhaust you have is obviously not road legal. Anyone who pretends it is is a liar. Not only is it loud it sounds shít and pisses people off. If you get nicked for it good, you are being a dick by having it.
You bought the bike with the 250mm on it, you thought 'thats cool, all the girlies will get moist' then realised the only attention it would get you is from the po po or neighbours lynching you.
Don't deny it, if it wasn't true you would have beaten a hundred off the price for a new silencer.

You could just buy the Black Widow 400mm Stainless exhaust which is £120 which would be louder than standard but not at dick levels.

Projecting much?
Even on Blackwidows own site they state its street legal...
I had no idea how noisy it would be.
I got the bike because it was a good deal on the bike.
Im getting a new pipe now.
And I already said Its too noisy. I dont like it...
As for getting the girls moist, well thats not now I work...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Projecting much?

Boys then, won't work either way.

Are you seriously saying you thought a 250mm exhaust was road legal?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:02 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
Projecting much?

Boys then, won't work either way.

Are you seriously saying you thought a 250mm exhaust was road legal?

At the time i had no idea what size it was. Only that black widow said all there exhausts are road legal.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

thats a bit harsh!
i can quite understand people liking a loud exhaust note on a vehicle.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
thats a bit harsh!
i can quite understand people liking a loud exhaust note on a vehicle.

Yes its harsh but then I've never really understood the fashion for stubby exhausts. They are overly noisy, don't in general make more power and attract attention hence the comment about making girls or boys wet.
Anyone who buys one or a bike with one and thinks they are road legal even with a baffle is deluding themselves.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character/tone is the most important thing IMHO. The kid next door has a loud 125 but it's not as loud as my XSR pure decibels. It is however highly annoying.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Character/tone is the most important thing IMHO. The kid next door has a loud 125 but it's not as loud as my XSR pure decibels. It is however highly annoying.

You put that a lot better than I did.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'm going to say it's a 200mm or 230mm exhaust that you've got as they don't make a 250mm one for the FZ8. Wink

Regardless of such details, Black Widow describe those as being "designed for an aggressive sound" so you can either do what Mr Stinky Wheels says and stick a bigger baffle in it or you're going to have to buy an exhaust that's not quite so obnoxiously loud.

Rain

BW just make obnoxiously loud exhausts and I love it. The BW exhaust on my Kwak is the loudest bike I've ever personally heard irl with its baffle out. Putting the baffle back in makes a big difference though.

Best bet for OP is to call BW and ask if the baffles for longer versions of the cans are any different (i.e. longer) and then try and fit one in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2