Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This rather nasty episode...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I think we can all agree that the US penal system is pretty bad all over. Keeping people on death row indefinitely seems unusually cruel.

Imo, the answer is not to sentence people to death, but to put them to work helping to repair the damage they have done, perhaps in service of the families or communities they have harmed in some way.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
So you'd be happy if one of your nearest and dearest were wrongly convicted and executed by the state would you?

One innocent person executed would be one too many.

I stand by my statement that state executions have no place in any civilised society.

Considering the specific instance of Rigby's killers, they killed the guy, stood there waiting for the police to arrive, covered in blood. There is no question of wrongful conviction. I think there is a strong argument for bringing back capital punishment for instances such as that, where the proof is truly overwhelming.
As to the morality of killing, we've sent thousands overseas to kill for country so the concept is not morally off the table for most people.
Having said that, I think the current system is a mess and heavily politicised, but has it ever been anything else.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:12 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:

As to the morality of killing, we've sent thousands overseas to kill for country so the concept is not morally off the table for most people.

No, but at the bottom line, it is wrong. You know this. War is not something we want. If you remove the notion that it is never right, then things can start to slide, and people, nations, begin to make up their morals to suit themselves, to suit the current situation in their favour.

Imagine a world where every single person thought killing others was always wrong. Then you could never have wars, nobody would fight them.
As it is, we don't live in that world, probably never will, but you have to have the morality to know killing is wrong, even if you find yourself having to do it to defend your own. I served in the Armed Forces myself, and would have carried out my duties in war as required of me. That still doesn't make it right, morally.

Something to think about is that surveys have shown that very few on a battlefield actually make effective killers. Many point their weapons in the general direction of the enemy, but don't actually aim with an intention to kill a specific target. Only very few do that. This happens even though many of those on that battlefield think they have right on their side. Why is that?

These are the deepest kinds of questions we can ask ourselves as human beings, and I do not denigrate those who believe that there are special circumstances where the death penalty should be used. I just disagree with it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be real here, the goal of not killing anyone is very noble but at some point it's kill or be killed. There is an alternative though...

"Killing a human being is wrong."

Fine, totally agree. Now define "human." One could argue that some crimes are so heinous only a rabid animal could have done it. At least a court deciding on someone's humanity would be more reasonable vs. wartime propaganda that paints the other team as less than human.

"Human" is just a convenient label, conceptually it would be defining the criminal as "other" and outside the normal laws and punishments a citizen is afforded. It doesn't have to be just about the death penalty either, certain Channel inflatable enthusiasts clearly shouldn't be afforded the same rights - arguably they have more rights at the moment - as native citizens.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Let's be real here, the goal of not killing anyone is very noble but at some point it's kill or be killed. There is an alternative though...

"Killing a human being is wrong."

Fine, totally agree. Now define "human." One could argue that some crimes are so heinous only a rabid animal could have done it. At least a court deciding on someone's humanity would be more reasonable vs. wartime propaganda that paints the other team as less than human.

"Human" is just a convenient label, conceptually it would be defining the criminal as "other" and outside the normal laws and punishments a citizen is afforded. It doesn't have to be just about the death penalty either, certain Channel inflatable enthusiasts clearly shouldn't be afforded the same rights - arguably they have more rights at the moment - as native citizens.

Have you been reading Mein Kampf again?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Have you been reading Mein Kampf again?

That's low effort even for you, Nobby Wink

It's a question of priority. Why should people from outside society be afforded more care than those inside society?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:33 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were the one talking about a court having the power to decide that an individual wasn't human.

just saying it didn't go well for the last grouping who decided that people were sub or non-human. It actually resulted in the writing of universal human rights.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barbarians are at the gates and instead of guns they're waving bits of paper with UN resolutions on. We either have to bin our luxury beliefs or prepare for total societal collapse.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think energy companies making obscene profits at the expense of ever increasing prices driving vast numbers of people in this country into destitution on the back of an immoral war is a far bigger issue that prehaps 10k people risking their lives to try and find a safe place to live.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
Islander wrote:
One innocent person executed would be one too many.

I think there is a strong argument for bringing back capital punishment for instances such as that, where the proof is truly overwhelming.

Then you've got to define what constitutes 'overwhelming', haven't you?

It's pretty much a fundamental of the UK justice system that someone's either guilty or not guilty. So, not 'overwhelmingly guilty', so we kill the accused; 'very guilty' so he gets life imprisonment; or 'just a bit guilty but maybe not' so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt and send him down for 5 years.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Then move to mitigating circumstances. "I punched the guy and his unfortunately his head hit the curb" is the normal way we'd think of possibly reducing a sentence but "I set out to murder a soldier and then attempted to hack off his head with a machete" would also be taken into consideration to increase it up to whatever the limit is. If we move the limit from whole life sentences (which quite a few lawyers would argue are illegal anyway) to the death penalty it doesn't follow that all murderers are automatically marched to the gallows.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
...risking their lives to try and find a safe place to live.

Slip a little lie in before lunch, eh?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Personally I think energy companies making obscene profits at the expense of ever increasing prices driving vast numbers of people in this country into destitution on the back of an immoral war is a far bigger issue that prehaps 10k people risking their lives to try and find a safe place to live.

King Louis of France and his entourage got their cumupance due to their obscene greed.

Maybe not the guillotine but some hard labour and sequestration of funds should be the order.

Vive la Revolution.
And Viva Las Vegas while we're at it.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Caught red handed, with the body, video evidence, eye witnesses, shouting alans snackbar, completely unrepentant.
Done.

We are now paying to keep them warm, sheltered, fed and locked up until they die.
Killing is wrong, imperfect solutions for an imperfect world.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Energy companies making those profits because of government choices which has the sum total of fuck all to do with migrants except of course the Ukranians.

When you stop the flow of the largest natural gas producer and the 2nd largest oil producer what do you think is going to happen with prices?

Don't blame the energy companies for governments' fuck ups.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Rant, lose, change subject, chuck a grenade.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:

We are now paying to keep them warm, sheltered, fed and locked up until they die.
Killing is wrong, imperfect solutions for an imperfect world.

Which is why I say put them to work to help repair the damage they have done, or otherwise make them useful to us. We don't have to keep them in luxury...just tolerable basics.
I agree that we will never have the perfect solutions to all these issues. We just have to try to do our best.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Which is why I say put them to work to help repair the damage they have done, or otherwise make them useful to us. We don't have to keep them in luxury...just tolerable basics.
I agree that we will never have the perfect solutions to all these issues. We just have to try to do our best.

Useful? Food for the worms. They gotta eat too.

I understand what you're saying, but the hard reality is that it costs a hell of a lot to imprison someone, especially high security and separated from gen pop which the worst offenders have to be. What productive enterprise are they going to be undertaking that covers the £100k a year their digs cost? And that's assuming they're compliant enough to do whatever it is. There are also issues with the enslavement of prisoners (which is effectively what you're doing) and the resultant industry and profit. The US has some real issues around this.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really ask convicted criminals to work to help pay back society for the crimes wot they done did.
That would be humiliation.
Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting prisoners to work is not slavery. They have committed crime, this is part of their punishment.

For goodness sake, you can't humiliate them! Shocked Nah, just execute them. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Putting prisoners to work is not slavery.

While I broadly agree with the sentiment they do it quite a bit in the US and the way they run it... not hard to argue it's Slavery 2.0 Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:38 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Putting prisoners to work is not slavery.

While I broadly agree with the sentiment they do it quite a bit in the US and the way they run it... not hard to argue it's Slavery 2.0 Sad

Is there some rule book somewhere, some immutable law that says it has to be done in a certain way? Because the Americans have a way of doing it, or because this or that society did it a certain way in the past, everyone else has to follow that format? Or do people just love to cry out "omg, Slavery!! Shocked " ? Like certain idiots always seem to have to cry out "omg, Nazi! Shocked " ? Happy to put people to death, but find it immoral to get a hard day's work out of them? Confused Peculiar sense of morals some folks have.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit like communism. Every time it starts out with this time it'll be different, and then people get involved and before you know it, it's all gone to siht.
Anyway, no matter what you get these slaves doing they're not going to cover the cost of their incarceration. So we as the tax payers are funding their slave existence.
In short, why do you want to own slaves?

Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to divert the thread even more...

Slavery isn't quite the economic panacea people thought it was back in the day. Forcing people to work for less than they're worth (slavery is not zero income BTW, it'd at least have to be subsistence else all your slaves quickly die of starvation) is building your economy on sand. Sparta and the Roman Empire are great examples of this. Importing slaves into the labour force is analogous to diluting the silver currency with tin. Just saying you don't need to leverage the "slavery is bad, m'kay" moral argument Smile And Communism leans into "Capitalism pays workers less than they're worth" (implying effective slavery) by utilising the flawed labour theory of value.

Anyhoo, back to slave labour in prisons. There at least were (not sure about now) things private manufacturers couldn't make because the prison population stamped out - literally in the case of number plates - state subsidised products.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
It's a bit like communism. Every time it starts out with this time it'll be different, and then people get involved and before you know it, it's all gone to siht.

It's nothing like communism. You could use that logic to avoid trying anything. For e.g., "if we introduce the death penalty, innocent people will end up being executed." Or, "if we don't introduce the death penalty, people will continue to commit horrendous crimes." It's not an argument at all.
And if people aren't in charge of the affairs of people, who or what do you suggest should be?
Who or what should decide whether or not we introduce the death penalty? Who or what should administer it all if it is introduced? You don't trust people (you are one of them I presume?), so what; cats? dogs?
Or you can vote for inertia: "I prefer to moan about stuff but not try to do anything about it."
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5