Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not sure what to make this one..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Not sure what to make this one.. Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64835197

the most guilty party would appear to be Cambridgeshire Council for not providing adequate cycleways.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she didn't push her intentionally then I am amazed that she got done for manslaughter because she shouted at the cyclist. Also the judge said it was a shared cycleway/pavement but no one else could find out the facts about that.

Obviously it's very sad the other woman fell into the path of the car and was killed but I can see a successful appeal happening.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:03 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where it happened: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3318311,-0.1798557,3a,75y,109h,87.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP7suqAnP9IbPAk_hiAISlg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The path on the other side of the road is signed as a shared path: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.331291,-0.1782239,3a,18.1y,110.37h,88.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0d3neFgDuYRyyCzV3f21OQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

She did herself no favours by leaving the scene.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:13 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it falls under the 'shouting fire in a crowded cinema' principle.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep its not clear if it can be used by cyclists and way narrower than any shared path I've seen. The council should take soe respnsibility here but I note they are lying low and to an extent 'scapegoating' the defendant

An unhappy, avoidable incident? Yes. Manslaughter? harsh IMO.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not clear to me if there was a little shove there or not. Some waving of arms was in progress.
Regardless, if you've got some old grotter ambling down the middle of the pavement towards you, you slow down to shout obscenities back. Poor obs, D lock the cnt, etc ,etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:23 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Yep its not clear if it can be used by cyclists

I can't see anything which could be misinterpreted to suggest that the path might be a shared path.

I also can't find anything on the council website which says it's a shared path. https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/travel-roads-and-parking/cycling/cycle-routes-and-maps

Basically it wasn't a shared path, not that that gives an angry pedestrian the right to do what she did but I'm guessing it's why she was given a lenient sentence.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:40 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shared cycleways are a stupid idea. I won't use them because they have pedestrians on them, and children, drunks, old people, pushchairs and dogs on extendable leads.

The take home from this is either ride on the road like a proper road user or walk. If you're an adult and not confident enough to be cycling on the road, cycling is not for you.

The only exception I'd make to cycling on the footway is for very young children. Some countries have a rule that you can ride on the footway if your wheels are below a certain diameter, but that doesn't account from brompton twats.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:29 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wouldn't have happened if the cyclist was riding something sensible ........... like an e-scooter.
Just saying.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:30 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
This wouldn't have happened if the cyclist was riding something sensible ........... like an e-scooter.
Just saying.

The shouty gesticulating woman would have still been shouty whilst gesticulating. So you are talking bollocks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I suspect it falls under the 'shouting fire in a crowded cinema' principle.

https://i.imgflip.com/7d69fr.jpg

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its truly sad and unfortunate the woman was killed but but wasn't she actually committing some kind of offence at the time?
(Highway code: keep off the fucking pavement sort of thing?)

I see cyclists/e-scooterists do all manner of retarded shit every day and not surprised some get deaded.
I suspect the lady wasn't very good at close control and
got panicky and wobbly when was shouted at by someone who was stressed and frustrated by having to dodge out of the way of cyclists.

I've never had an issue with cyclists on the road when driving or riding and always try to be solicitous of them but when I'm walking up the shops I've wished a few under a bus at times cos they're a fucking pest around here.

Council and cops sodding useless as usual.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:26 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is they won't release (for good reason) the whole video that was shown to the jury that convinced them that she was wholly responsible for the woman falling in front of the car.

Everyone is making judgements without the full evidence that was available to the jury.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:19 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The shouty gesticulating woman would have still been shouty whilst gesticulating. So you are talking bollocks.

Keep your hair on you're taking a silly comment too seriously having said that the deceased would have just fallen down instead of stumbling into traffic with a bike between their legs now I think about it.

They could also release the full video as they are getting more and more bold releasing media when it suits them like body cam footage of arrests inside peoples houses to releasing mugshots for fun.
On the other hand it looks like a private camera footage so whats to stop them showing the full footage.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:28 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because showing someone being squished to death isn't considered appropriate viewing in the uk.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The trouble is they won't release (for good reason) the whole video that was shown to the jury that convinced them that she was wholly responsible for the woman falling in front of the car.

Everyone is making judgements without the full evidence that was available to the jury.

The jury at her first trial weren't convinced that she was responsible.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:01 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citation? I'll point out there are quite a few murderers that had hung juries at their first prosecution. There's even been a couple that have been convicted after being found innocent since the double jeopardy laws were updated.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:37 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
Not clear to me if there was a little shove there or not. Some waving of arms was in progress.

Youtube video so playback speed can be increased: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4eIjOFTB6k

From the comments: "Look how the pedestrian's stride and weight distribution of her feet change. It really really looks like she pushed the cyclist."

"Watch the video 2x speed and it is much more obvious - the vicious killer turns and comes to a halt while the elderly, nearly eighty year old, cyclist's path is abruptly changed - the killer either shoved the victim or pulled the handlebars"

"watch the murderer's hips"

"you can see she is the aggressor that steps towards the victim"

In conclusion, she pushed the cyclist.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

In conclusion, she pushed the cyclist.

Seems likely.. but why the court/rozzers so cagey about releasing that detail?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the push was there, then that's manslaughter at a minimum. Pushing someone into live traffic, what a cunt.
Cycling on a pavement annoys me and is deserving of thorough tutting, grumbling, stare of disdain and shaking of the head.

One of the youtube comments "She was defending herself against someone illegally cycling on the pavement".

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:48 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that they didn't think they could prove a push so based their case accordingly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should send a message that all road users - pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, motorcyclists, car and lorry drivers - should treat each other with respect as per the highway code. Not sure this case actually does that though Thinking

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:41 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
It should send a message that all road users - pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, motorcyclists, car and lorry drivers - should treat each other with respect as per the highway code. Not sure this case actually does that though Thinking

The HC suggests courtesy is shown to all road users.

Nothing 'really' evil about cycling on a pavement.
But when others are using the pavement due care and attention is demanded.

The aged person possibly should not have been using the pavement. Who can say?

The pedestrian should have shown more restraint and not have attacked the cyclist.

The courts showed that the actions of the pedestrian contributed to the death of the cyclist. No grey area, legally.

I've used shared cycle lanes. Only reason for that was due to the road surface being shite.

Other than that, I ride on the road like a boss/cnut. Cool

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The take home from this is either ride on the road like a proper road user or walk. If you're an adult and not confident enough to be cycling on the road, cycling is not for you.

bollox .. i use tracks .. paths .. and shared path ways as i see fit ... roads as a last resort when needs must ...

just waiting for the "proper cyclist " comment ..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My driving instructor once said to me: if someone wants to overtake you at a hundred miles an hour don't compound one crime with another by blocking the outside lane.

tl;dr two wrongs don't make a right so whether the cyclist should have been on the pavement is a moot point with regards to the subsequent crime, it could only be considered a mitigating circumstance at most.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2