BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Balding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Balding Reply with quote

I've sadly reached that middle age (nearly 50) and whilst the back and sides of my head are still pretty well hidden by hair, the top is getting thinner and thinner - definitely very see-through!
I tend to go for a back and sides of no. 3 and a top of no.5 if that means anything to anyone!

I really don't want to end up with one of 'those' styles with a bald top and hairy back and sides (apologies to anyone who has this!), but I can't quite tell if I'd look any good bald.
Has anyone gone through this stage and any advice? I'm too far gone for hair thickening treatments...
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No1 all over, then let it grow to a No3, then back to a No1, takes about two weeks for the full cycle. About a week after the No1 cut mu hair feels at it's best. Can't stand blkes over 30 with long hair, just looks silly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not much help but there's a youtube channel where people film themselves shaving off they're thinning hair and it pretty much always looks better. I think very few people look terrible bald.
https://www.youtube.com/@Baldcafe/videos

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just posting to register smugness that I still have a full head of hair at 65 and it's still pretty black as well. Cool

My beard however is greyer than Gandalfs.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Balding Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I've sadly reached that middle age (nearly 50) and whilst the back and sides of my head are still pretty well hidden by hair, the top is getting thinner and thinner - definitely very see-through!
I tend to go for a back and sides of no. 3 and a top of no.5 if that means anything to anyone!

I really don't want to end up with one of 'those' styles with a bald top and hairy back and sides (apologies to anyone who has this!), but I can't quite tell if I'd look any good bald.
Has anyone gone through this stage and any advice? I'm too far gone for hair thickening treatments...

You need a baseball hat, buys you abit of time before full baldening
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

let the sides grow and do a comb over and be happy

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Nupx5u3zmIo/hqdefault.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too quick to write of the hair loss treatments. If it's standard male-pattern baldness they're meant to be quite effective.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got quite thick greying hair ‘back and sides’ with a clump at the front and a horseshoe-shaped thinning patch behind that/on top. Hate it. I trim back and sides to about a Number 4 but try to leave whatever’s left on top a bit longer, albeit tidy.

When the barbers shut through lockdown I spent a fortune on the only available hair trimmers* - £180 Wahl 100 year Anniversary Edition, and I had to buy combs separately! I’ve never gone back to the barber.

Friends agreed with me that a shaved head wouldn’t suit my odd features. I’ve tried it very short, but no. I’m 60 so no one’s judging my appearance anyway, I’m becoming invisible.

I just avoid mirrors, photographers and tall people.

* I thought laterally but even Pets At Home had sold out. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

when did men become so vain?

i see all the grooming products for men in shops now and find it quite ridiculous.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are conscious of your look. No one else gives a fuck. "Good grief, look at that bloke, he's bald ffs!" Nope, never heard it said.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

*slips out the back way*
Shifty

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:00 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut?

About a week.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
*slips out the back way*
Shifty

Got to go easy on that pullout ...

Hair balding? Say good bye to product and barbers , just shave it to grade 1

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a shaven head or being bald only has 1 minus.
You bump your head more often....oh and for some reason I still use the same amount of shampoo as when I had long golden curly hair.

Hats stay put better with a shaven head...physics.
I can run and swim faster.
I don't care if it's raining.
Women know I'm stuffed full of Testosterone (although some science papers dispute this).
I can spend the £145 that would be spent on haircuts (average is £14 per cut) on condoms and a stick to beat off the ladies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:26 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I can spend the £145 that would be spent on haircuts (average is £14 per cut) on condoms and a stick to beat off the ladies.

Last haircut I paid for was also the last day I went to the dentist.

Back in the last millenium - 1992.

Shaving the head every week or 2 is a bit of a nuisance. Thought time wouldve remedied that for me by now.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened this expecting salacious tittle-tattle about Clare Balding. Chiz!

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe loving the replies, as well as some very helpful stuff - thank you!

I've already done the baseball cap look, don't think it suits me. And it's been obvious for a while I've been balding so using any hair thickener would just make it obvious I'm trying to hide it, and TBH I don't really care what others think. I just don't like the mirror!

I think I'm going to go down the no.1 route without telling anyone and see the amusing responses afterwards.

The other thing I have is a big lump at the top/back of my head that hairdressers always catch. I've had it for years, when my daughter was growing up she used to call it my button and every time she pushed it I'd pretend to go all loopy - still do this now! I'd love to get rid as it'll be more obvious with even shorter see-through hair. But not sure if I can (even if I could through the NHS) for memories sake. Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats work.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:44 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently even Claire wouldn't present MOTD tomorrow.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Hats work.

Exactly. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Apparently even Claire wouldn't present MOTD tomorrow.

Too busy muff scruntching

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
for some reason I still use the same amount of shampoo as when I had long golden curly hair.

As someone with a full head of hair... why do you use shampoo at all if you're completely hair-free? Doesn't soap/shower gel work on the bald pate? Or am I missing something...

to v or not to v wrote:
when did men become so vain?

If anything, men are less vain now than in the past. Nowadays, a huge proportion just shave it all off when they start thinning on top; consider how many blokes used to wear toupees and wigs in the past? That's vain. I really don't think many do at all these days. And think about the huge powdered wigs that well-to-do men would wear in the 1600s/1700s? They were truly bizarre...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
And think about the huge powdered wigs that well-to-do men would wear in the 1600s/1700s? They were truly bizarre...

Thats because they used to shave their heads because of lice.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
And think about the huge powdered wigs that well-to-do men would wear in the 1600s/1700s? They were truly bizarre...

Thats because they used to shave their heads because of lice.

True enough - but rather than replacing with a little short-back-and-sides wig which would have been much easier to keep clean, they used those massive things like a sheep fleece... vanity!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everything in fashion comes back around...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FiYDkCHXoAA32JQ.jpg

...gonna be a long wait on this one Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2