Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fibre broadband.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:47 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thats less than five minutes for mandalorian to download at 15 Mbps then? If you are streaming it you need a much lower speed because it's about 45 minutes to watch.

Still not justifying more than 1 Gbps.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:55 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, all that computer savvy yet can't find a working spell checker...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thats quite normal here as well. A 60 gig movie doesn't mean you need to be able to download 60 Gbps. A 2 hour movie would be downloadable in about half an hour at 15 MBps. Still not showing why 1 Gbps is really needed for a domestic setting.

Just willy waving on your part.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:23 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I'm here running 13Mbps ADSL with satellite on 250Mbps and I cope all day on the ADSL... No one needs more than 100, I look after schools and they manage 2000+ users ALL day doing whatever they do and get about 1/3 maybe of their 1Gb bandwidth used.

Literally unless you are sucking the internet dry, you can have 500 users general use and never notice on a 1Gbps connection. For perspective we have 1.6m users on something like 200Gb and it's nowhere near stressed.

Justify it however you wish, it's just internet penis points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
Literally unless you are sucking the internet dry, you can have 500 users general use and never notice on a 1Gbps connection. For perspective we have 1.6m users on something like 200Gb and it's nowhere near stressed.

Justify it however you wish, it's just internet penis points.

To echo my earlier post.
Quote:
Currently on my VM line I have to limit the upload speed of my missus' and mine's work computers to 5mb a piece because teams is a proper hog when it comes to video meetings and because we both access remote servers which chews up the both the UL and DL BW too, me more so as I have several I'm accessing at a time.

Anything over that and one of us will suffer with lag and all that shit, which is a proper ballache when I'm already suffering due to the absolutely diabolical shambles of a bunch of virtual servers we use.

I actually have a decent reason for jumping from VM and heading to YouFibre 1000.

The upload speed is juicy should hopefully allow me to remove any bandwidth limiting I have for the employer owned devices.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
i was gaming mrs was watching a 60gig movie had a server running, a ftp server

usernet downloads to nas and hosting a voice conferenc call

QoS and bandwidth limiting is a thing.
Use it.

How do you know it was a 60gig movie?
Where was it being served from?

Voice conf call - You mean voice comms on discord for the game you were playing, minimal bandwidth.

I see 2 things that were uploading, the game and the discord voice comms.

FTP and Usenet to NAS..... wth man, you need to consolidate yo shit.

And wow, people still hit usenet...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:37 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Currently on my VM line I have to limit the upload speed of my missus' and mine's work computers to 5mb a piece because teams is a proper hog when it comes to video meetings and because we both access remote servers which chews up the both the UL and DL BW too, me more so as I have several I'm accessing at a time..

Can't say I experience any of that when working from home, I'm in meetings maybe 3 hours a day and my daily actual average usage is 4GB of traffic, so 32Gb over 8hrs, 4Gb an hour which is low usage personally. That said, IF I could get something decent, I would, but my 13/1 ADSL copes with teams fine for now Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about usage and so on but I much prefer zoom to teams. Razz

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Admin, I think there is something wrong with my BCF feed.

I appear to have wandered into the Geek Zone.

Help.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:38 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgin are a wholly different connection to the house than the openreach that most people have.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:30 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
its how cable works if you satrate the upload it always affect down load on virgin

Source?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be better off spooning a camel than getting a source from him/her/it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You'd be better off spooning a camel than getting a source from him/her/it.

I'm just waiting to hear why he thinks that 2 different PEs that shape different paths will be affected by eachother, but I'll wait.

Last edited by P. on 21:43 - 07 Apr 2023; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll just fuck off for a few weeks like he did last time he got called out.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:33 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
if you are sending a immense amount of data, your upload channel will get full/satarated . If you try to download something big at the same time, you'll need some bandwidth going out to signal the sender that you are receiving the data. If your upload is so full to the point that this "ack" message gets losts, the sender stops sending

virgin cable has always be quite bad with this and will bonce the download up and down and slow the down load if upload is totaly satarated

the solution is to limet the upload just a bit below the max

you will see it more with larger files and mutible conections

Source...

I work with VM, so please do tell me how 2 separate streams affect each other so I can do my job better.

Larger files means more threads, but that's over the download channel and subject to shaping.

Get the source of your wrong claims, and I'll believe you. The cable feeding a VM cable connection can handle far more than VM can offer, so I'm bemused as to why you think it'll get saturated when it's split properly.

I'll wait.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things i never liked about VM was their traffic shaping / restriction on VPN traffic. That and their SH2 'router' was as unreliable as feck when you had too many wireless devices on it. Fixed by running it in modem mode and using your own cable router / WIFI stuff. Then we moved into an area with no VM so that complaint was no longer relevant.

By comparison BT FTTP running 850ish down / 150ish up with their WiFi discs - not had a single problem at all. It's all the speed i'd ever need and then some. And it's cheaper than the 300mb connection it replaced.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

And wow, people still hit usenet...

Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4