Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tell me about Honda NTVs..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Tell me about Honda NTVs.. Reply with quote

I feel I need a new project. Never owned a shaftie or a V twin or a Honda! so I've been browsing these. I think they look quite kewl too. ..
Since it woudl be a survivor project only looking to spend up to a grand maybe...

Who's ridden one?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptresume you are going for the unfaired version rather than the Deauville?

If that's the case, I know jack sh1t. Loved Deauvilles though. Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ptresume you are going for the unfaired version rather than the Deauville?

If that's the case, I know jack sh1t. Loved Deauvilles though. Laughing

Correct - the Revere? . It's hard to believe they're much the same bike underneath! No disrepect but the Deauville looks dire. A Bros would be good/interesting too but their harder to find I believe.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had one but know guys who did and they're oft scoffed at
as under powered and underwhelming
But that's bikers for you and we all know they stink of piss right?
( not me I rides a scooty me)

Anyway, the Deauville is the dressed up version of the NTV and the engine is reputed to be a reliable old thing and the shafty saves you fuckin about with filthy chains and sprockets.
Ooh! I do like a good shafting.

Reliable hacks basically.
You know, a bike you can actually ride and go places on
do people still do that?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:48 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of them will have been couriered into the ground. Make sure it's on its first time round the odometer.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 10 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
the Deauville is the dressed up version of the NTV

What does that make the DN-01? I’ve had a weird ‘thing’ for those after seeing one in the metal at a MOT station. 270kg though! Still pricey too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
the Deauville is the dressed up version of the NTV

What does that make the DN-01? I’ve had a weird ‘thing’ for those after seeing one in the metal at a MOT station. 270kg though! Still pricey too.

Funnily enough I feel the same ever since seeing one in a Honda dealers donkeys years ago. Silly money for something so derided back then.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that one on Ebay with the blowing exhaust? Good find. Low mileage, low price.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

What does that make the DN-01? I’ve had a weird ‘thing’ for those after seeing one in the metal at a MOT station.

Polarbear wrote:
Funnily enough I feel the same ever since seeing one in a Honda dealers donkeys years ago. Silly money for something so derided back then.

Perverts.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you get one that's not ex courier and ridden to death they are great bikes. Low maintenance, enough power to get around and do motorways without becoming roadkill, enough character to be interesting to ride.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DN-01
51bhp at the wheel from a 680cc Deauville lump
3 stage "Human friendly transmission"
Offbeat and far too expensive to catch on apparently

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/4015/1440x960/01honda-dn-01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
DN-01
51bhp at the wheel from a 680cc Deauville lump
3 stage "Human friendly transmission"

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/4015/1440x960/01honda-dn-01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

I was explaining the Honda Rune earlier down the pub and this makes more sense now.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:30 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Looking at the ones on eBay at the moment they certainly seem to hold their value on the second hand market...

I bought mine from a mate who was looking to downsize; at the price I paid, I figured I could try it for a bit and punt it on if I didn't like... six years on it's still here. I can't fault it for the sort of rider that I am (not arsed about excessive speed, and equipped with a ropey back).

God help me if the transmission goes wrong, but they don't seem to; I was told that one of the reasons the DN was so eye-wateringly expensive new was that the HFT was somewhat over-engineered, and - as good as it is in use - cost was the reason Honda didn't persevere with it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't paid much attention to the DN-01 before
Kinda want one now.....

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:17 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a revere 600 for about a year, probably 5 or 6 years ago.

It was nothing exciting when it worked, and a bit of a dog. Mine had trouble staying cool, radiators and fans are expensive.

It was quite light and compact I think. CB500 has a far more interesting engine.

I've had a lot of bikes. That was one of them that I don't miss. Odd secondary vibrations used to send my fingers to sleep.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:59 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Hadn't paid much attention to the DN-01 before
Kinda want one now.....

Pervert Cool

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 19 years old (~2009/2010) I had a Revere. I bought it for about £300 on over 80,000 miles and then used to commute 90 miles a day on it through winter on motorways, to a job I earned about £7 an hour at.

Suffice to say bike maintenance was at the very bottom of my list of spending priorities.

My dad nicknamed it the cockroach because it simply refused to die.

I'd ride it for well over an hour at high RPM on the M25 each day. I ran it out of oil twice to the point that it nipped up on me. I crashed it on ice twice, I rode through the worst of the weather. It just kept going and going and going and going.

By the end the front headlight was held on by a shitty bicycle basket bracket, and the taillight was a bicycle battery tail light fitted to the luggage rack (the brake light still worked but something stopped the tail light functioning).

One of the crashes killed the odometer so it stopped counting at around 98,000 miles and I used it for another 2 months after that.

Eventually MOT time came around and it obviously wouldn't pass so it sat in my garden for about six months.

It still started and ran when I eventually sold it on eBay ~6 months later. It sold for £90 and the two blokes turned up and knocked me down to £50 which in hindsight hurts to think about, I needed that £40 more than them for certain but as a young bloke I didn't have it in me to argue back against two older guys.

Anyway, not sure if that's any use to you, but that's my story about my Revere.

Last edited by c_dug on 20:33 - 12 Mar 2023; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It was quite light and compact I think. CB500 has a far more interesting engine.

whoah hang on a sec - more interesting how?? I've owned two of the f***ers and never really did manage to find a less interesting bike, apart from maybe the NC750 (although I never did get to have a properly proper go on my mate's - so perhaps there were hidden treasures in dem dar half a jazz under-square hills).

Digressing for a sec, if I was gonna go for that old honda 650 v-twin lump, i'd want it in the Bros guise (chain driven thus less weight, more efficient power makery, and imo less to go wrong).

Back to the cb500 for a sec - specs-wise it's apparently very, very similar to the 650 Bros in terms of weight and bhp. Which to me means why would you choose a parallel twin over a v2, all other things being equal. Like, I've always felt that the most boring power plant of all is a 180 degree "IL2" - and that a v2 might sacrifice some top end power, but its character is always going to be less vanilla - and also, the power of the V is going to be easier to get at (?).

But I suppose "interesting" is inevitably a pretty subjective thing. That said, if I now HAD to choose between the cb500 or Bros 650, it would be that latter. But the grass is always greener, I suppose. Or less beige, in this particular context.

https://bikez.com/pictures/honda/1991/nt%20650%20hawk%20gt.jpg

NB chain drive

https://ogden_images.s3.amazonaws.com/www.motorcycleclassics.com/images/2014/06/11084544/Honda-NT650-Hawk-GT-r-jpg.jpg

NB single sided swing arm (made changes quicker in the US race series - but surely added weight over a more conventional rear swing arm) (just Honda trying to be more like Ducati)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep thinking of the SV650:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/bikesocial/2020-august-images/suzuki-sv650-1999-2003---used-guide/suzuki-sv650-review-used-guide-(3).ashx?h=493&la=en&w=740&hash=5478095A86AA2CAF495B809DCF02B09864388CF2

Or the Ducati Monster:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Ducati_900_Monster_City.jpg

Both of which seem to look better with the trellis frame? That "aluminium band" is a bit distracting for some reason.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:21 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

whoah hang on a sec - more interesting how?? I've owned two of the f***ers and never really did manage to find a less interesting bike

The CB500 had a bit of a step in power around 8000 rpm. From memory, the revere did not. It was dull all the way to redline, much like an SV650.

I've only had a very brief go on a Bros 650, and I recall liking it compared to the SV650 I had at the time, but that isn't a high bar.

At this point they're all going to be old, tired examples of fairly underwhelming bikes when new.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

whoah hang on a sec - more interesting how?? I've owned two of the f***ers and never really did manage to find a less interesting bike

The CB500 had a bit of a step in power around 8000 rpm. From memory, the revere did not. It was dull all the way to redline, much like an SV650.

I've only had a very brief go on a Bros 650, and I recall liking it compared to the SV650 I had at the time, but that isn't a high bar.

At this point they're all going to be old, tired examples of fairly underwhelming bikes when new.

fair play

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 05:02 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned about 2 NTV600's, 12 or so NTV650's, 6 or so NT400 Bros400's and 6 NT650 BROS650's.

All suffer from limited parts availability especially bodywork. The NTV600 you can't get handlebars for.
Exhausts are occasionally available but very rare. 4 different types, 1 for the 600, short early for the 650 and late longer type. The 650 types are interchangable., the 600 isn't. Different short type for the BROS
2nd gear commonly goes on the NTV's, due to over reving at gearchange.
The output shaft goes on the BROS's, the spline is too narrow.
MK2 BROS650 uses odd sized magnesium wheels.

Decent bikes if in good condition.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1