Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Radeon 5700XT Random Crashes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:53 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Radeon 5700XT Random Crashes Reply with quote

I've recently got myself a used 5700XT to replace my venerable 1050ti and I've been experiencing random crashes while gaming. The screen turns solid green and the system reboots. I've had this happen from within a few minutes of playing, to it being rock solid for hours.

Its happened in various games, nothing too demanding (including Roblox ffs). Hours of stress tests/benchmarks have been fine. Nothing is listed in event logs, except for the reboot following a crash.

Temps are fine (mid-70s at most under stress test). I've uninstalled (with DDU) and reinstalled the latest drivers.

Today I've finally been able to reliably replicate it. I fired up the PC, started COH3 then minimized it while I was checking something on the interweb. After a couple of minutes I noted some horizontal tearing which progressively got worse for a couple of minutes then it crashed. I've tried this a few times, and if the PC has been switched off for a while then it repeats. If I try the same straight after the crash/reboot then it doesn't happen.

Same test with my 1050ti is fine.

CEX have had the card back for testing and have not been able to replicate it, so won't replace it.

PSU is a recently purchased refurb Corsair 650w. Mobo Asus Prime B450MK with a Ryzen 5 5500.

My next thoughts are to try an alternative PSU to rule that out. The fact that the system is stable under high load makes me think that it isn't the problem, but I'm not sure.

Any other ideas before I take it back to CEX again?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film it going wrong on your phone then take it back.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:30 - 13 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of thing is always drivers. Sadly if you can't get a driver that prevents it then it's just incompatible with your system. As Easy-X suggested, taking a video and showing CEX might get you some play, but to be honest buying something like this from CEX? I wouldn't do it, put it that way.

Hi McJam BTW, great to see you back on the forum! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 13 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you completely remove the drivers from your old card before you installed the new one?
have you tried rolling back to an older driver version?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 13 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very certain AMD would suggest flashing the latest Motherboard and GPU BIOS. Do that first.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:57 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 5700xt is it?
What is the full spec of your pc?
What power supply do you have?
What driver version are you using?
Which version of windows?
Are you using DDU when switching gpus?

MarJay wrote:
This kind of thing is always drivers.

Lol, nopes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:28 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Which 5700xt is it?
What is the full spec of your pc?
What power supply do you have?
What driver version are you using?
Which version of windows?
Are you using DDU when switching gpus?

MarJay wrote:

Lol, nopes

Ok... It's pretty much always drivers. What OS? Needs compatible drivers whichever.

The only other things it could be are overheating and a weak sauce PSU, but I'm assuming our good friend McJam is tech savvy enough to know that he needs the right PSU and cooling.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had similar random crashes caused by faulty memory.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

MarJay wrote:
Ok... It's pretty much always drivers. What OS?

MarJay wrote:
Needs compatible drivers whichever.

Captain obvious, let me know when you're ready to contribute something worthwhile.

Could be a vbios issue, could be the incorrect setting for that pcie port in the bios, could be many things which is why I asked those questions.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

OS is Winblows 10, fully updated.
Mobo is Asus B450M-K. Latest BIOS.
Ram is 16gb Crucial something-or-other off the mobo QVL. It checks out fine in stress tests, and gives no errors with the 1050ti.
PSU Corsair 650w. Calculated load of the system is about 380w.
I've tried a couple of driver versions, the latest WHQL from a week ago. I did use DDU.

GPU is a Powercolor Red Devil 8gb. I haven't checked the BIOS on there yet, that is a good shout. It has double BIOS - OC and silent. Issue is present with both.

Temps are fine, even in sustained Furmark stress test with a CPU test running as well it doesn't get over mid-70s. Gaming I've seen mid-60s. CPU temp is also fine.

I've tried the latest ASUS chipset drivers, but not AMDs, so I'll give that a go. I'm also going to try a fresh Windows install, but I'm not too hopeful. Neutral

MarJay wrote:
Hi McJam BTW, great to see you back on the forum! Smile

Howdy. Long time since I've posted, but I've been lurking around the place still. I've just realised that it's been 21 years next week... Shocked [/list]

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:20 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for the report o7

Min rec psu for that card is 700w, but I doubt the psu wattage is the cause.

However, I see that the gpu does need 2 x 8pin feeds, are you using the same feed for both or 2 independent feeds from the psu?

The AMD chipset drivers are stable for me, I've got them installed on my asus b550-f / 5800x / 6700xt - gpu driver 23.3.1

Have you got Smart Access Memory (SAM) / Resizable BAR enabled?
Test with the opposite.

Disable any integrated graphics.

Motherboard bios - Check you have the PCIE type set to auto

How many monitors do you have?
If only 1, try using the primary graphics output on the card.
If more than 1, the primary output is the one which displays the bios/post.

Do you know if the GPU has been opened?
Worth checking the pads on the VRMs/GDDR etc are actually contacting the heatsink.

Possible to test in another nerds computer?

It's a fucking long shot, but have you got a decent cable that is capable the res and refresh you are rocking?
Deffo worth a swap out to test.

When I bought a Sapphire Pulse 5600xt a few years back it would crash at driver install regardless of version, got it replaced within a week because it was a hardware fault. OCUK really came through for me.
Only worth mentioning because HW issues are a thing.

If all that guff above doesnt help, and you still have a sketchy GPU then I would return it to CEX.

Shameless plug time.

I have a 5600xt for sale, it's been rock solid for me.
Buy my wares

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

This is about the best suggestion. If everything's fine with the old card I'd lean towards either drivers or a faulty card with environment (i.e. your computer setup) a distant third.

Post it to me! I've been looking for a replacement for my own 1050ti for a while Wink

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you applied the jumpers correctly and assigned free IRQ and DMA designations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:07 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Have you applied the jumpers correctly and assigned free IRQ and DMA designations?

https://media0.giphy.com/media/GcDtLf4RAdiRG/giphy.gif

I'm not too local (PE22) but always welcome to jam it in my machine/spare machine and see how it goes. Can even take my spare PC with you and test at your leisure if you wanted.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare mini-ITX machine (my works just bought me a brand new dev machine... which was nice) but factoring in boxing it up, courier charges there and back, it's a lot of effort to go to.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure any overclocking is off - even XMP on your RAM. I've had that give me similar problems with both CPU and GPU upgrades before.

I'd also suggest installing a program like CCleaner - using both the scan/clean function and also the registry cleanup. Seems simple but even DDU can leave behind a mess especially when going Nvidia to AMD.

As a next step you could try underclocking the card in MSI Afterburner.

Obviously re-testing after each change.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good shout. AFAIK there are specific Nvidia driver cleaners if you don't want to dabble with CCleaner.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

This is about the best suggestion. If everything's fine with the old card I'd lean towards either drivers or a faulty card with environment (i.e. your computer setup) a distant third.

Post it to me! I've been looking for a replacement for my own 1050ti for a while Wink

When I upgrade my stop-gap 3060 Ti I'll do you a deal Razz

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Catch me at the right time I might consider it, I've been thinking about a rebuild since my main PC started going wonky. I'd probably be buying a 3050/3060 anyway.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Catch me at the right time I might consider it, I've been thinking about a rebuild since my main PC started going wonky. I'd probably be buying a 3050/3060 anyway.

I have a 3090 in my work PC, I was thinking of going up to a 4090 (and putting the 3090 it replaces into my home PC) but only if prices come down a bit more because GPU sales are dog shit slow at the moment

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:34 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yesterday the card decided to shit itself fully, it now has no video output yet the system is booting into windows normally. Remoting in shows a device error. So, back to CEX it goes.

The question is, do I replace with a 2070s or a 3060?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just buy my whole rig and upgrade yourself for like £800?

i9 9900k, all water cooled, 2080 Super, 32GB RAM etc... Wink

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
So, back to CEX it goes.

There's your issue.... Wouldn't touch CEX with a bargepole, it's just a dumping ground for people offloading crap that doesn't work.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. Yesterday the card decided to shit itself fully, it now has no video output yet the system is booting into windows normally. Remoting in shows a device error. So, back to CEX it goes.

RTX 3070 if you can afford £505.00. I got an RTX 3060Ti for £475.00 like a mug when I could have paid £30.00 more for significantly more performance, I was just desperate to get something that was in stock at the time.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zotac-geforce-rtx-3070-gaming-twin-edge-lhr-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-5888-core-1725mhz-bo

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:20 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

RTX 3070 if you can afford £505.00. I got an RTX 3060Ti for £475.00 like a mug when I could have paid £30.00 more for significantly more performance, I was just desperate to get something that was in stock at the time.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zotac-geforce-rtx-3070-gaming-twin-edge-lhr-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-5888-core-1725mhz-bo

His board is old, I don't even know if that chipset has PCI-E 4.0... hence the suggestion if hes looking to upgrade, he might want something outside of what he currently has at the core.

Can't see a processor mentioned, but I am guessing at a ryzen 2600/2700x? You'd want a decent Ryzen to not bottleneck the 3070, even though the ZOTAC one isn't amazing, a bottleneck is a bottleneck. Add on the power at max juice, its recommended to run 650w, it won't draw close to that maybe 250w at cap, but low rated PSUs and high demand cards = short term life.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2