Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This one time, at bandcamp...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:54 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: This one time, at bandcamp... Reply with quote

I bought a POS chinese supermoto styled 125 broken rubbish this weekend...I knew it was broken, engine troubles, got it for cheap. Of course:-)

Pushed it in gear (coz battery was flat) and had compression, so a few thoughts went through my head, all of the type "this'll be an easy fix.

Got it home, got the spanners out, removed the lhs engine cover...and whaddayaknow...the flippin' crankshaft is snapped. Like..when was this ever a thing?

I just wanted a bitch-bike to mess around on that I didnt mind getting scratched. It fulfills that criteria...but a snapped crankshaft...never seen that.

More spannering due this weekend to fit replacement pot-metal junk-a-roony part.

Run...dont walk.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mates 810cc turboed Z650 twisted its crank into two bits. It was still running too.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapped a crankpin on a CX thrashing the tits off it it down the Motorway.
It still ran but sounded 'orrible

A second hand chinese engine should be cheap enough
and they're pretty much all interchangeable when you check what they been cloned from
CG or GN usually maybe Yamaha

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:32 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, this engine code starts with a Q instead of the usual K....gn125 clone btw.
replacement crank and some other bits are winging their way to me, but its from a K, because I like to live dangerously. Hopefully its less a pile of parts once I'm done.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCLUSIVE !

Chatty man in Chinko 125 crank replacement shocker.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A broken crankshaft is not the end of the world.
You can keep going on it, ignoring the sounds of pain from the engine, until it machines it's way out of the block or seizes. Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"chinese supermoto styled 125"

Well that's yer problem for starters
who buys and rides/abuses/neglects them? yoofs and boy racers

If you want a cheapo chinese bike, buy summat like a Lexmoto ZSB
a plain jane, get me to work and back, sort of thing.
One of my lads had the Lexmoto Arrow
basic push rod CG clone engine and dead simple to fix and keep running.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:35 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was very much an eyes-wide open endeavour...the patina on a 2019 scoot gave it away. My only amazement is how 8 of the worlds finest kilowatts snapped a crank

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:04 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
...how 8 of the worlds finest kilowatts snapped a crank

That'll be the high Wensleydale content. You should deffo start a thread for the rebuild, reckon it'd be quite entertaining seeing what other horrors you find in there... at least you've gone in with your eyes open Thumbs Up

On a similar note, if you fancy laughing at some other examples of magnificient Chinese metallurgy then this is worth a look.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:55 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

took engine out and apart this weekend. 'twas interesting.

crank is snapped as we have ascertained.
small little metal bits floating about gearbox area ...looked like the chewed up remains of a cage...continued...
right hand side crank bearing...what is this...should be ball bearing but instead we have a barrel roller bearing...sans cage....rhs case where bearing seats is a bit mangled now too.

barrel roller bearings=expensive (by comparison)...and not really need on a 12hp scooter...and clearly whatever was fitted was so cheap the cage disintegrated.

oh, and ex and intake valves bent.

and a score on the bore.

so thats 4k miles, and top middle and bottom are stuffed.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:46 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the fuck would anyone buy a chinese bike ?

They are truly the dregs.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

It could have been abused, starved of oil etc.. BUT I tend to agree, my exposure to Chinese materials to date has been less than satisfactory.
Metals, seals, plating, plastics all substandard and prone to breaking perishing, peeling, shrinking etc.. They're going to have to work hard to gain my trust.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not accurate to paint all Chinese stuff as shite.

It is 100% dependent on who designs it. Which factory manufactures it and how much it costs to make and purchase.

There is a lot of absolute crap made in China.
There is a lot of absolute crap made in UK and elsewhere.

It is down to what standards one accepts.

The mobile phones and PCs we all brag about are probably all built in China.

Chinese bikes. No.

Chinese phone Yes.

Chinese carryout Yes.

Fit Chinese girls. Wub Wub

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
It's not accurate to paint all Chinese stuff as shite.

Wel the thread is specifically about bikes but I take your drift, I would be more comfortable buying a brand with some level of QA if their stuff is built in China be it Honda, Triumph, Apple or whomever. But my JingCheng was dire an that was supposed to be one of the better ones.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

I was starting to think Chinese bikes might be getting better until I bought a chinese scooter. Some bits I was impressed by but the general quality of materials is shocking. I had it almost catch on fire because the rubber mount that holds the starter relay degraded and the terminal fell onto the rusty frame and a ton of smoke came out of the bodywork Laughing

Chinese phones are alright, but I've yet to have one that hasn't randomly started installing apps. Just in the last week I've started getting notifications on mine for videos on some new app it downloaded and I cant delete.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that only happened on Ducati Multistradas...

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:02 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

as others have said, its a bit of a culture thing.

if you tell china to make a car, and say "i want to pay £500" dont be surprised when it comes made out of cardboard and lasts all of 100yards Thats essentially what you asked for

If you say "make me this thing" and show them a picture, they'll make a thing exactly like that, with no idea what it is used for and that the metal should be heat-treated etc for the application. Thats what you asked for.

Spec the thing to hell and back and stick in QA, and they'll produce iphones and server motherboards of the finest quality.

Anyway, the bike is shit. Like, dire. Every bolt wants to have a fight, everything single little thing is a struggle.

Somebody has to save the little poopsie. Smile

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:35 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks shiftily left..then right...ok, nobody is around

ITS ALIVE!!!! mwhahahaha

I gave up on the original engine...too much broke and probably broke for a reason

google keywords fishing: QJ157fmi-2a engine swop swap change K157FMI

Yes friends, the barrel roller bearing gave the game away...theyve done a stupid on the castings and used the bearing to compensate for wiggles.

I ended up buying a complete engine from a MUTT...which is british brand chinese bike but whatever, the engine itself seems much higher quality. (MUTT Mongrel euro4 engine into keeway tx125sm)
Not all holes lines up, I had to slot/oval one or two engine mount holes due to "millimeters", and had to hack the ingition pulse and temperature wires to match the existing bike plugs.

But it do start, idle, rev and go brrrroooom broooom. I, have saved a polar bear by not letting all this carbon used to make the scoot go to waste early.

I have two fault codes on the obd though, but nobody heard me say that, ok.

I am so happy I gave it a wash.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
looks shiftily left..then right...ok, nobody is around

ITS ALIVE!!!! mwhahahaha

I gave up on the original engine...too much broke and probably broke for a reason

google keywords fishing: QJ157fmi-2a engine swop swap change K157FMI

Yes friends, the barrel roller bearing gave the game away...theyve done a stupid on the castings and used the bearing to compensate for wiggles.

I ended up buying a complete engine from a MUTT...which is british brand chinese bike but whatever, the engine itself seems much higher quality. (MUTT Mongrel euro4 engine into keeway tx125sm)
Not all holes lines up, I had to slot/oval one or two engine mount holes due to "millimeters", and had to hack the ingition pulse and temperature wires to match the existing bike plugs.

But it do start, idle, rev and go brrrroooom broooom. I, have saved a polar bear by not letting all this carbon used to make the scoot go to waste early.

I have two fault codes on the obd though, but nobody heard me say that, ok.

I am so happy I gave it a wash.

An auld 'army trick' was to put black leccy tape over any annoying warning lamps and batter on regardless.

Not sure if tape works on error codes as well? Laughing

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:46 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like watching a dog go meoooow

an engine designed in probably early 70's...sitting here with EFI and an OBD2 port...plug my bluetooth adapter in, Torque app on the phone...watch fuel trims, o2 sensor, rev counter etc.

yet..."points at suzuki gn125 engine".

the check engine light is on...i can clear the codes, they come back. For all I know theyve been there prior to the crank deciding to change to another dimension. One is for coil primary weak and a another for fuel injector reference voltage. I shall toubleshoot

I "think"
for cars: MOT fail if IML light is on
for bikes: advisory.

somebody chirp up if thats bullshit.

edit: googled the obd codes...could probably be from a crappy battery i bought that sags too much under start load, triggering those two codes.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

went for MY first unsupervised ride today, for the first time since..meh...1996?

IT WAS WONDERFUL. My wrists have cramp, my arse feels like Ive lost my virginity but I dont care!!! It was wonderful.

oh yeah...the bike

nothing fell off. Yay me and my spanners.

I should get a baffle for the exhaust though. Its too loud even puttering about.

this is my inbetween CBT and A license scoot, to get back into the swinging of things..

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Re: This one time, at bandcamp... Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:

Like..when was this ever a thing?

Since the very first sentence....

that_impulse_guy wrote:
I bought a POS chinese supermoto styled 125 broken rubbish this weekend...I knew it was broken, engine troubles, got it for cheap. Of course:-)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:

Spec the thing to hell and back and stick in QA, and they'll produce iphones and server motherboards of the finest quality.

iPhones and server boards maybe - the component are made using Dutch machines in Taiwan. Anything that require metallurgy or materials science forget it. They can't help cutting corners..

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:47 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that their jet engines have the expected lifetime of your typical teabag, even when they copy Russian ones.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I know that their jet engines have the expected lifetime of your typical teabag, even when they copy Russian ones.

Yeah, the chinks are setting up to introduce Airbus equivalent airplanes.
Engines and most of the avionics are not Made in PROC.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1