Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike next

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:30 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: What bike next Reply with quote

I’m not a Bennett’s bike social member, I need to rely on you lot.

Looks like I’m moving jobs and location, back into brum so a 40-50 mile round trip depending which way I want to go.

The meteor is a great bike for what it is, but I don’t think it’s up to this task (I think the Meteor is perfect for those that don’t need to get anywhere for a specific time)

So I’m looking around for the next one. Must haves are
1 reliable - the ER6 I had was a bag of shite, having something that has started everyday and not crapped out on the way to work has been great, I need to keep that up.

2 have a bit more poke - Meteor is not great on the motorway and no good at overtaking on the open roads

3 cheap! I’ve got to get this past the mrs, so needs to be reasonable to buy, run and insure. New bikes (won’t pass the insurance cost test with the wife so realistically would be looking at 5y/o bikes plus.

I’m pretty flexible on everything else, I’d love a big GS but it doesn’t tick the cheap box and I’ve not got a garage so it’s probably get nicked anyway. I’m more than likely putting a topbox on anything I get so nothing too pretty

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget?

How about an older Tiger or that SV based dual sport from Suzuki?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:40 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on budget. I reckon much over £5-6k will get me a stern look. Depends on how attractive she finds the bike
I’ve just seen a 2012 GS1200 near me for 6 grand 20k miles. Is that going to be the money pit I fear it would be?

There’s a 60k mile CBF1000 at my RE dealer too but I expect that’s been px’d for a reason.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a tiger (800 xrx with heated grips and luggage). I had an xcx and rhe more road suited tyres available for the xr cast wheels would make it my choice now. Your budget would run to a 2016 lowish mileage model. Used to do a 40mile round trip commute and never had an issue.
Also versys thou or vstrom thou for ease and weather protection. Plus value!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: What bike next Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I’m not a Bennett’s bike social member, I need to rely on you lot.

Looks like I’m moving jobs and location, back into brum so a 40-50 mile round trip depending which way I want to go.

The meteor is a great bike for what it is, but I don’t think it’s up to this task (I think the Meteor is perfect for those that don’t need to get anywhere for a specific time)

So I’m looking around for the next one. Must haves are
1 reliable - the ER6 I had was a bag of shite, having something that has started everyday and not crapped out on the way to work has been great, I need to keep that up.

2 have a bit more poke - Meteor is not great on the motorway and no good at overtaking on the open roads

3 cheap! I’ve got to get this past the mrs, so needs to be reasonable to buy, run and insure. New bikes (won’t pass the insurance cost test with the wife so realistically would be looking at 5y/o bikes plus.

I’m pretty flexible on everything else, I’d love a big GS but it doesn’t tick the cheap box and I’ve not got a garage so it’s probably get nicked anyway. I’m more than likely putting a topbox on anything I get so nothing too pretty

Why does an older bike pass the insurance test but not a new bike that's the same price? Laughing

Get this Laughing :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202303165286153

https://m.atcdn.co.uk/a/media/w800h600/ac37032eb3654774954b007356c7c3db.jpg

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer ?

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:06 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

@FAS - you’d be surprised at the difference the age of the bike makes.

New MT07 would be about £500 a year, an er6 from 2014 is about £180 that Katana is lovely, but fails the ‘not wanting to ruin the looks of it’ test.

Will have a look at the Triumphs, and older Tracers

Any more suggestions more than welcome. I have to admit to considering a big ass scooter too but can’t face it being the only bike I’ve got.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:26 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diesel Yaris.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:44 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A diesel Yaris.

Couldn’t do that, traffic, parking costs, owning a Yaris, all three would make me want to kill myself

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a tracer700 for 5k miles, great engine in mt07, but I found it a bit lacking in thrills and oomph. What about z1000sx? They eat miles and aren't uncomfortable.
Early tracer 9 however would be high up on my list.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Scooter

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Big Scooter

Have to agree. For commuting I really can't think of anything much better.

Buy one and keep your Meteor. Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Any more suggestions more than welcome. I have to admit to considering a big ass scooter too but can’t face it being the only bike I’ve got.

Actually think a big fucking Burgmann would be a good idea then if you don't mind a scoot. I've seen them go for as little as £3,500.00 and FortNine rates them pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJPCuJ7Eaxg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:54 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW F800GT. It was the runner up for me for a similar task, and I caved and went 1000cc with my GSX-S1000F. The GSX is too much really, but the F800 seems great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that an RE Interceptor would meet your needs, but as a current Enfield owner, you've probably already considered that.

If you decide on the BMW, you could go with an oilhead, hexhead, camhead, or the liquid cooled boxer. The oilheads (1995-2004) are getting a little long in the tooth by now. My daily rider is a 2002 R1150R. Can't recommend any of the R1150's, your probability of getting a reliable, durable machine is down around 50%.

Of the R1200's, the Hexhead (2005-2009) or the Camhead (2010-2014) would be my platform of choice. The RnineT still uses the camhead engine to my knowledge. I would avoid any of the liquid cooled boxers, mainly because I am an old-school boomer who prefers simplicity and ease of service. The liquid cooled bikes have the alternator situated in such a way that the transmission must come off in order to service the stator. I've read too many accounts from disgruntled owners who found that out the hard way.

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 17:51 - 22 Mar 2023; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

40~50 miles of what? If it's mostly motorway a bigger bike is the way to go. If it's more city roads then MT07 variations are fine. I do >40miles on my XSR to get into London and that just has a bit of the A3 at the start. Not the best engine for big miles although I did go to Cornwall on it.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:31 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by your requirements, just about anything.

It's enough miles to seriously consider the cost of consumables, particularly tyres. So you want something that takes normal sizes and gives you the chance of getting decent pair deals.

Apart from that, very little else can be easily quantified. Fuel burn is never what it's meant to be, depends how you ride. Chains can last forever with lots of care, or no time at all if neglected. Random expensive failures can and do happen.

You will save money over time on repairs by buying something newer and better in the first place.

Get what you want, not what a stranger on the internet tells you to.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:49 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately Robby had hit the nail on the head, it’s something I could do on any bike, even the meteor if I really wanted to.

I really started this thread to get some ideas that I’d either not thought of or not been aware they were a bad idea.

I think the biggest problem is what I want I either can’t afford (a newish GS) or wouldn’t be practical like a Street Triple

A big scoot probably is the answer but I can’t have 2 bikes and I don’t want just a scooter. Not yet anyway, im only 40.

Please more suggestions of cheap reliable pokey bikes that can handle the M6 and Birmingham city centre at rush hour. Ta!

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:56 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Marjays suggestion of an F800GT is something I’d forgotten about.

Any horror stories with these? Don’t know much about them, belt drive is a plus. Any years to avoid? Is the ST as good?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Please more suggestions of cheap reliable pokey bikes that can handle the M6 and Birmingham city centre at rush hour. Ta!

That's piss easy then KTM Duke 390 they can do motorway speeds (does 105mph) no problem, look incredible and are flickable as fuck. I rode one and fucking loved it but I just can't have an army of bikes Laughing

You can even buy one brand spanking new for £5,499.00 and comes with 3 year warranty.

EDIT: Also come with tons of aftermarket options (handguards, heated grips, touring screens, panniers, top boxes, etc).

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:18 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad shout, cheap insurance too for a new bike.

Worried that it might be a bit gutless on the motorway, but then it is the M6 so can’t see it being a regular issue. Hmmm.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Not a bad shout, cheap insurance too for a new bike.

Worried that it might be a bit gutless on the motorway, but then it is the M6 so can’t see it being a regular issue. Hmmm.

It's got 40.3bhp and weighs 153kg so have a PTWR of 0.263 hp/kg where as your ER6 was 0.352 hp/kg and your Meteor 350 was 0.106 hp/kg.

So it's going to be WAY faster and nippier than your Meteor was but it's not going to be as quick as your Kwak was but still very respectable. That KTM has the same power-to-weight-ratio as an E39 BMW M5 for comparison!

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just watched a couple of YouTube videos about them. Definitely on the shortlist. I’m also tempted by a less shagged er6 or z650 now I’ve got some miles under my belt and grown a pair. Would need to be older though which has pluses and minuses.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Svartpilen 401 if you don't like orange. Essentially the same bike as a Duke 390. Looks-wise it's a bit Marmite but possibly less attractive to the toe rags.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:31 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

40-50 miles round trip?
That's a shopping trip FFS, two half hour rides at legal speeds
I know delivery guys who do 4/5 times that every day on 125s
A big scoot will handle that nae bother.

Bikerz is poofs ( and smell of wee)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2