Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What are weird reflective blobs on bike reg plates?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: What are weird reflective blobs on bike reg plates? Reply with quote

Just curious.... seen today on a couple of bikes parked up together.... both had a reflective red tag attached to their reg plate - not a sticker; was about 5 mm high - looked almost like a radio security tag, except for the obvious. Anyone know what they are?

https://i.ibb.co/r4Cy4zM/bikes.jpg

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:31 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a MOT get-around for when someone's cut down the standard rear mudguard and chopped off the (mandatory for the MOT) rear reflector.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically they should be on the midline of the bike and not to one side.

Used by people for MOTs when the normal reflector has been deleted by a tail tidy or similar and are sold on pairs because you know it'll have fallen off again by the next MOT...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:59 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... a reflector?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same on my bike, fitted to it's sail sized MOT plate for when that day comes around. The gopping massive
orange fork reflectors were first to go off of mine followed by the huge tail section and the ugly rectangular reflector
that had on it too. I also have a mini reflector stuck to my day to day plate which is 7x8 I think, just in case of over
zealous coppers. I don't think fork reflectors are a UK thing, but are mandatory in US but bikes like mine are made
to suit all the mandatory type approval requirements for three main markets. For instance I've read plenty of yanks
moaning about the new MT10 having 4 cats and Euro V emissions since the new one came out. As I said in that
comments section, tat's because they sell more MT10s in the European (especially UK) market than anywhere
else in the world. Makes sense to build your products to suit the rules where you sell the most of them IMO. The
tail tidy is a perfect example, bikes bodywork has to protrude beyond the rear tyre because rules in order to be able
to sell a bike new in the UK. MOT man or Policeman doesn't care about tail tidies though as long as there is a 50p
cheap reflector stuck to the (correctly sized) number plate.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:42 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why they don't just build reflectors into the taillight lens like they always used to. Even Lucas were doing this in the 1950's.

While they're at it, they can put a little clear bit in the bottom of the lens for a numberplate light so you don't need an extra bulb for that too.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:11 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a trifecta-proofer for the small plate noisy pipes brigade. Some police forces have a '3 defects' rule where they'll give a warning for 2 things but report you for 3.

My brother in law got done on his Mille for small plate, noisy pipes, no reflector. Copper told him if it was any 2 of them he'd have got a warning but 3 things makes a fine and bikers make it too easy with the same 3 things over and again.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell I really wonder about the average level of intellect on this forum nowadays. Rolling Eyes

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know why they don't just build reflectors into the taillight lens like they always used to

I bet it is because they don't need to for many markets!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill switch, obvs. Wink

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
Fucking hell I really wonder about the average level of intellect on this forum nowadays. Rolling Eyes

Since I rarely visit places where lots of bikes gather these days I've never seen them before though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness I think Freddy’s question was more “Why are they there?” than “What are they?”

We might ask the same question about reflectors on bikes generally. How often do you park a bike along the line of the kerb where a rear reflector could be seen? Number plates are reflective these days anyway.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a chancre - someone with a majorly serious STD has stuck his penis into your bike's exhaust and left a horrendous calling card....this is the evidence

NURSE - THE BROLLY!!!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:06 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

NURSE - THE BROLLY!!!

Don't! It's causing flashbacks...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:49 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: What are weird reflective blobs on bike reg plates? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Just curious.... seen today on a couple of bikes parked up together.... both had a reflective red tag attached to their reg plate - not a sticker; was about 5 mm high - looked almost like a radio security tag, except for the obvious. Anyone know what they are?

Those tags were put there by dog nappers.

Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

NURSE - THE BROLLY!!!

Don't! It's causing flashbacks...

yeah my knees went a bit weak even as i typed that

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike in the top right of the picture appears to have the original fitted too which does seem odd.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
In fairness I think Freddy’s question was more “Why are they there?” than “What are they?”

Well, yeah. I've never noticed them before; they were obviously aftermarket items just plonked on in a random position; and there were two bikes with identical ones attached.

And as someone's pointed out, one of the bike already has rear reflectors. (So if, as it appears, it's just an MOT thing, it looks like its rider must have even lower intellect than me?)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

And as someone's pointed out, one of the bike already has rear reflectors. (So if, as it appears, it's just an MOT thing, it looks like its rider must have even lower intellect than me?)

Or the MOT tester. I've only ever seen them slapped on there by the MOT tester. It's such a common fail that a lot of them just keep a sheet of the stickers handy. Also gives them a way of keeping their fail quota up so they don't get a visit from VOSA. Fail the bike on no reflector, slap on sticker, pass on re-test.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Bike in the top right of the picture appears to have the original fitted too which does seem odd.

Maybe he's a Polite vest wearing safety zealot. Question

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Or the MOT tester. I've only ever seen them slapped on there by the MOT tester. It's such a common fail that a lot of them just keep a sheet of the stickers handy. Also gives them a way of keeping their fail quota up so they don't get a visit from VOSA. Fail the bike on no reflector, slap on sticker, pass on re-test.

I'm pretty sure about 90% of the bikes I've ever owned have this on their MOT history.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Get Arounds are fine to Get Around.
But a traffic polis might look a lot closer at the rest of the bike and yer mate's if they are upset or offended by the Get around.
It can be a method of drawing unwanted attention from the Po-Po.

I never understood the fuss over the tail-tidy movement

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Some of the absolute monstrosities that are being put on the back of bikes now, they're pretty much a necessity.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:

Some of the absolute monstrosities that are being put on the back of bikes now, they're pretty much a necessity.

I had an Evotech tail tidy sitting waiting for the bike to arrive. I think it spent all of 3 days with the original tailpiece.
The weight difference between the two units was pretty large as well as the physical size, I'm about a kilo better off.
I appreciate the spray protection/management isn't as good but I don't do rain anyway so....

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

What pisses me off about it is how many '90s / early '00s bikes have the back end sawn off - finding a zx9r that someone hasn't hacked off the bottom three inches of the rear part of the undertray (so that the bottom edge of the reg plate is the lowest bit of the bike) is really difficult if not impossible, and i'm pretty sure many other Jap bikes of that era are the same.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2