Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When the French protest...............

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: When the French protest............... Reply with quote

by golly they do it with..... passion. Not sure if it's the right word.
Laughing

The pension reform riots.

You have to sort of admire the French. No sheep like parades with a few badly hand written placards. Try kettleing that lot Mr. MET bobby.

They are not adverse to lighting bonfires either. Laughing

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/149de56a67e59345bdb53345932cba73303c9f54/0_252_7562_4537/master/7562.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=5896a371acd1f2a75d8349fd88ad8211

I'm sort of torn I don't like this sort of 'demonstration'. but if enough of you believe in something to make a stand like this, it certainly gets your point across.

The same thing is happening in Britain as in the pension age, already a good few years higher than France, is going up but we either just seem to accept it or are we more realistic and see that with people living longer, it has to rise.

They've also cancelled Charlies state visit because of the riots.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65064510

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/23/workers-block-paris-airport-terminal-pension-protests-continue-france

Edited to add.....

Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin said 903 fires were lit, in a city where refuse has been left uncollected since 6 March.

That's one way of getting the plebs to get rid of rubbish. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:14 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this country people bitch about motorways being blocked by protestors.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:24 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

we dont really have to burn stuff to get a point across, but I do admire them for firmly saying "no".

There's some apathy floating around nowdays in blighty..folks seem defeated...we dont get listened to so why bother etc.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In this country people bitch about motorways being blocked by protestors.

Yes, but I would say the majority of the population are ambivalent over their aims and don't agree with them targetting the general public rather than the politicians. Also the road stickers haven't the inclination to get arrested for arson and spend a long time behind bars. I can't say I blame them for that.

All a bit different to someting that has a direct effect on yourown life.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying for a while we live in an Unrepresentative Democracy Sad "But there's only a choice between Labour & Conservative!" is the usual excuse. The Dutch are quite a placid lot and they've recently managed to take the leap to save their society.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:06 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've been saying for a while we live in an Unrepresentative Democracy Sad "But there's only a choice between Labour & Conservative!" is the usual excuse. The Dutch are quite a placid lot and they've recently managed to take the leap to save their society.

We may elect local MPs who do have input. That said, our government has for some time now been a government for the 1% This seems to be the destiny of democracy in its current configuration. Eventually those with wealth and power in society wield ultimate influence.

I am of course being selective here but who does raising the pension lifetime allowance benefit? Who does raising the annual max. pension contributions benefit? These changes were made while the poorest (and many not-so-poor!) are struggling to pay energy bills (despite low wholesale gas price) and food price inflation is near 20%

This government is a hindrance not a help and despite promises to the contrary the next one will likely be more of the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump our so-called "Democracy" and make taxes voluntary i.e. UK plc would be a reality.

Fully Automated Luxury Anarchism anyone?

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

They've had to, the governments compulsory purchasing farms to cut nitrate levels and so, cutting food production and as we're having over here, prices will only go up with that
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western food prices going up means more Third World people starving - WEF literally tearing food from the hands of hungry children.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

They've had to, the governments compulsory purchasing farms to cut nitrate levels and so, cutting food production and as we're having over here, prices will only go up with that

The Dutch government have made some idiotic decisions though. The farming one is on and another was to unilaterally try and load a premium on Royal Dutch Shell for 'green' reasons and then bawl their eyes out when Shell, renamened and up sticks and migrated across the channel to Britain leaving them with basically bugger all revenue.

Something Labour need to be mindfull of if they try and squeeze every last drop of blood from the oil companies with their windfall tax.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: When the French protest............... Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
by golly they do it with..... passion. Not sure if it's the right word.
Laughing

The pension reform riots.

You sure that is about pension reforms?

Russians reported that this is french people wanting to leave NATO

https://i.imgur.com/RPBEBvV.png

Anyhow I somehow doubt the anarchists mob that have set on fire this building have ever worked in their life.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/21/paris-on-high-alert-as-protesters-try-to-revive-gilets-jaunes-movement
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly I wouldn't believe anything on Russian media.

Closet communist then?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Quite frankly I wouldn't believe anything on Russian media.

Closet communist then?

Neither anyone who knows basic French.

The sign russian morons posted as proof say:

Quote:
retirement at 64 is a no-no

Laughing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a daft avenue of propaganda. I have a cousin with a gift for languages IIRC he left uni fluent in Russian, Arabic and French (went straight to the Foreign Office unsurprisingly) and he stated there was some strange affinity between French and Russian as in more ppl learnt the other language than would naturally be expected.

tl;dr more chance of Russians seeing through this charade than one would think.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:13 - 26 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, in Totally Normal Tory Island, retirement age of 68 and theyre trying to find ways to coerce retirees back to work.

We need to be more French, if every time the government tried to fuck us we started burning down speed cameras and government buildings we'd probably have a much better government. Instead we just shrug and accept the shit poured upon us.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:54 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC seems to not realise that it may be 66 for some now, but by the time I can retire it'll be 67 and people younger than me will suffer until 68.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2023/3/28/bd0ca60f-4155-47e2-98f4-9ec95fecd04f.png

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:24 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're desperately trying to get everyones auto-enrol pensions over the threshold where the holders don't qualify for state benefits.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats the point.

The amount to exceed state benefits is actually quite high when you take into account rent. Obviously home owners don't have the same overhead in most cases.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's assuming they can stabilise the UK economy in the next decade or so to make even the concept of private pensions viable.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yes, but I would say the majority of the population are ambivalent over their aims and don't agree with them targetting the general public rather than the politicians. Also the road stickers haven't the inclination to get arrested for arson and spend a long time behind bars. I can't say I blame them for that.

All a bit different to someting that has a direct effect on yourown life.

Brits whinge when they can't get to the shops is all. The government s#1ts all over us though and we just shrug. We know our place.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a right pain in the arse when it comes to protesting legislation but if the UK (or anyone else) were to invade they'd roll over like a slut Retriever wanting a belly rub.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
They're a right pain in the arse when it comes to protesting legislation but if the UK (or anyone else) were to invade they'd roll over like a slut Retriever wanting a belly rub.

That's a lovely way of puting it Laughing Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Ive said for years we should take back our territories in france.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The BBC seems to not realise that it may be 66 for some now, but by the time I can retire it'll be 67 and people younger than me will suffer until 68.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2023/3/28/bd0ca60f-4155-47e2-98f4-9ec95fecd04f.png

The thing is how do these rates sit against things like, worker productivity and how rapidly after leaving school people become productive in the work economy. You could add how efficient a countries tax funded services are and how healthy the people are. It all descends into very complex calculations very rapidly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multifactor problem Neutral Given a relatively fit older population we need to rethink the pejorative "learn to code" and expect retirement age to go north of 70 in the next decade.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2