Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

found a unicorn to restore

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: found a unicorn to restore Reply with quote

found a ns400r, rothmans colours, ...in a shed....standing since 1993. Bike had fallen over to the right, scratching some things and cracking some things from a fairly low/zero speed, and owner had taken the bits off to fix..and then just didnt...and carried on not doing anything..so here it is.

hasnt turned a wheel in 30 years...but was stored in a shed, so very minor climate damage.

this is my top bike to find and restore, always loved them. Wheeled it out today, engine turns over ok. Everything looks fixable or ignorable (cosmetics).

so tell me how much of a bad move I'm going to make if I offer him some dosh. I'm thinking unobtainable crank seals?...carb issues?...Ive never rebuilt one of these.

20k miles...essentially had a 5 or 6 year life and then got put away. I have no idea what to offer him.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a garage queen project to me
Just throw money at it and never actually ride it, you'll be fine

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:02 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Sounds like a garage queen project to me
Just throw money at it and never actually ride it, you'll be fine

i intend to just stick it in the lounge and use it as a masturbation aid*..its that pretty

(*not really)

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 26 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it's a grey import, hence 1993 registration. Fairings, mirrors, indicators can be repaired. Carb rubbers - you'll find them. Crank oil seals are still available (just checked). However, can you get more information from the owner about why it was laid up? I mean, it can't be as simple as "dropped it in the garage, picked it up and then thought 'fuck it'".
On the face of it, if you can you get it up to fully restored standard, store it, and put perhaps a couple of hundred miles on it a year to keep it shipshape, it's a good candidate for a high value future collector's piece.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:22 - 26 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, its a 1987 model, ...tax expired in 1993, and thats when the damage happened.. hence me mentioning 1993. Its a uk model.

I've got a figure in mind...will approach owner and see what we can work out.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 26 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:

I've got a figure in mind...will approach owner and see what we can work out.

You miss 100% of the shots you dont take. On the plus side, even if crank seals etc are made of unobtanium the value of the rest of it as parts is only going to go up. Other owners wanting a good set of wheels etc.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1