Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel Additives

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Globule
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:53 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Fuel Additives Reply with quote

Hi just wondering if anyone uses them to clean injectors/carbs.

Or are they just a waste of money?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of money unless you’re trying to stop carb-icing (with iso-propanol). I’m not convinced by the ‘stabiliser’ additives (there are better ways to store a bike long-term) and if there is a ‘detergent’ effect on carbs, etc. you’d have to add additive to every tank, raising the cost and possibly reducing economy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:06 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used one on any bike, including the one where I had to scrape the jets out with a needle because basically a whole tank of fuel had evaporated through the carb after the engine seized (not my bike, stood for several years)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you need to use them, the engine is already beyond help short of a stripdown. You're better off using a tank of Super unleaded every few tanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get this: petrol is a solvent - I know! it surprised me too Wink - so as long as it flows it pretty much cleans things on its own. Maybe some use with old skool carbs sat about but TBH you'd be better off draining the carb bowl if laying up for a time and if it has been left to varnish up additives are unlikely to avoid a proper strip and clean.

Fuel injection is different. The ECU should prime the things on start up to take into account condensation, ethanol, grime etc. a bit like the cleaning cycle on an inkjet printer. A fucked injector is more likely fucked fucked rather than just gummed up IMHO. Then again I wouldn't be leaving a bike sitting around unused for years and years.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:24 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECU won't even prime (pressurise) the fuel rail until you press the starter, it won't do anything special to clean anything. It won't clean or even attempt to clean an injector.

They do get dirty and I did have an instructor at a college demonstrate his kit for cleaning them to me at one point when I was doing voluntary work.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on the bike, but at work (car garage) we must have used the Texaco ones 100s of times over the years to get cars through MOT emissions test, they do have an effect

I use the Liqui-Moly stabiliser every winter on our bikes while their stored away

Bike only gets Shell V-Power so no plans to use a cleaning additive for a long long time, possibly never

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Not on the bike, but at work (car garage) we must have used the Texaco ones 100s of times over the years to get cars through MOT emissions test, they do have an effect

Genuinely interested.. which emissions do they help reduce CO2, NO or..?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:34 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones used to clean up emissions actually clean the carbon deposits in the engine and exhaust rather than clean carbs/injectors.

You can achieve the same effect by misting water in the intake whilst theengine is running. IIRC Paddy is a great proponent of this technique, alongside the 'Italian Tune-up'.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've obviously misread something somewhere...

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The ECU won't even prime (pressurise) the fuel rail until you press the starter

What's that whirring sound when I turn the ignition on? I thought that was the fuel pump pressurising the system.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of bikes and cars don't prime the fuel rail. Your may be the exception.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

What's that whirring sound when I turn the ignition on? I thought that was the fuel pump pressurising the system.

It usually is, as it's a simple effective method on petrol engines
especially bikes
There may be variations of course but for petrol it makes sense to keep things simple.

tldr:
We know petrol isnt injected at anywhere near the pressure of deisel but as an example, my VW PD deisel lump on the Galaxy has an electric lift pump to supply the injectors, but the high pressure is created by a cam shaft on top of the injectors which also does primary timing.
This is fine tuned ( adjusting the amount of fuel according to various factors) is done by a solenoid valve.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A lot of bikes and cars don't prime the fuel rail. Your may be the exception.

Much as I love it I don't think the CP2 engine is particularly exceptional it's just I recall the service manual warning:

Quote:
Cover fuel hose connections with a cloth when disconnecting them. Residual pressure in the fuel lines could cause fuel to spurt out when removing the hose.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:15 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike doesn't, so it can't be bumpstarted unless literally just stalled.

Once you press the starter it pressurises the fuel rail and as a result it has to turn over a few times before it starts.

If you cut the engine and then immediately restart it it starts immediately.

There will be some residual pressure some time after it was last used so thats why you need to guard against it. thats not the same amount of pressure as the pressure on the fuel rail when the engine is running.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:50 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, the point is a good proportion of modern bikes and cars don't even prime their fuel rails before you turn the engine over so won't have gone through a injector cleaning cycle,even if they could because a specific fluid that isn't petrol or diesel is needed to do so.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

“… and an extra £20 for the magic mix.”
Wink

A100man wrote:
Genuinely interested.. which emissions do they help reduce CO2, NO or..?

Me too. Do you just chuck it in the tank and run the motor for a bit? Seems unlikely to work.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Anyway, the point is a good proportion of modern bikes and cars don't even prime their fuel rails before you turn the engine over so won't have gone through a injector cleaning cycle,even if they could because a specific fluid that isn't petrol or diesel is needed to do so.

If that's the case I can't see these additives doing much of anything. Whatever you tip in the tank is going to take a while to get through the fuel pump, pipes and injectors.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer when I park the bikes for several months. About a cap full to a brimmed tank of fresh petrol. 98RON

Globule
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:19 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask because I bought a scooter (Honda Pantheon 125) and apparently it has fuel injection. 20 years old, but it's only just done 4K miles!

Only ever had carbed bikes before, my Blackbird has carbs and I'm used to them, but FI is new to me. (I know I'm really old fashioned).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I use Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer when I park the bikes for several months. About a cap full to a brimmed tank of fresh petrol. 98RON

Does this work with Suzukis?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:30 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globule wrote:
I ask because I bought a scooter (Honda Pantheon 125) and apparently it has fuel injection. 20 years old, but it's only just done 4K miles!

Only ever had carbed bikes before, my Blackbird has carbs and I'm used to them, but FI is new to me. (I know I'm really old fashioned).

Does it run? If yes, ride it. If not, fix it. Fuel additives will do nothing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1