Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Turning an old work laptop into a new personal one

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:56 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Turning an old work laptop into a new personal one Reply with quote

I'm not very tech savvy but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've got a nice little Dell laptop that belongs to an ex employer of mine. It's been sat in its box for two years now waiting for them to send a courier to pick it up, and after months of chasing, they've just fobbed me off.

So I guess it's mine now. I'd like to get it set up for me.

It's got BitLocker on it and I can't remember the BitlLocker password. Even if I could, I'm not sure I want to sign in past it because I wouldn't want them picking it up on the network somehow and assuming I'm trying to access their data. I don't even know if that's a thing?!

Anyway, I guess the question is - is it possible to do a wipe and reinstall a fresh Windows OS and use it as my own laptop?

Ta Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just do a clean install of Windows it will wipe the existing partitions so Bitlocker encryption shouldn't be a problem.

Even if you remembered the Bitlocker password the pc would probably still be in the old company's domain so best to do a clean install really.

I'd take the opportunity to install a SSD if it doesn't already have one - it will perform much better.

Last edited by panrider_uk on 14:13 - 30 Mar 2023; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
If you just do a clean install of Windows it will wipe the existing partitions so Bitlocker encryption shouldn't be an option.

Even if you remembered the Bitlocker password the pc would probably still be in the old company's domain so best to do a clean install really.

I'd take the opportunity to install a SSD if it doesn't already have one - it will perform much better.

Great, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if it's on an SSD already - it certainly used to log in and chuck stuff around quick enough. Is there a way I can tell without opening it up?

Appreciated Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Great, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if it's on an SSD already - it certainly used to log in and chuck stuff around quick enough. Is there a way I can tell without opening it up?

Appreciated Thumbs Up

You still around Thurrock mate? I don't mind giving you a hand if you're not sure, Thumbs Up.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and just swapped the hard drive out for another one. I wanted to keep the original in case they ever ask for the laptop back too.

If the BIOS is also password protected you can use this site to get a password for it https://bios-pw.org/

Best way to find what kind of hard drive it has is to google the model number I think.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I had the same problem and just swapped the hard drive out for another one. I wanted to keep the original in case they ever ask for the laptop back too.

If the BIOS is also password protected you can use this site to get a password for it https://bios-pw.org/

Best way to find what kind of hard drive it has is to google the model number I think.

Thanks Ayrton. It's a Dell Latitude 5300 which, according to Dell's specifications PDF, says it's got:
Table 5. Storage specifications
Type Form factor Interface Capacity
SATA Solid-State Drive Class
M.2 2280 SSD SATA Upto 512 GB

So looks like a woot?

Honestly, the amount of times I've chased them to come get this thing, I don't think them wanting it back is ever going to be a problem.

That said, just looking online it appears new SSD only 50 notes ish anyway, is that right?!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:23 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go on the dell website and type in the service tag number, it'll tell you about your specific PC.

EDIT: It's been a while but if it's up and running and connected to the internet, you'll probably be able to make a windows recovery disc on a USB stick and return it to factory settings with a fresh windows install.

I did that with Mrs stinkwheels dell laptop because it was a slightly hooky seeming one off ebay. Re-partitioned the hard drive during the process.

If it's on windows 10, it might also give you an option to install 11 and I think you might be able to do that as a clean install.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
arry wrote:

Appreciated Thumbs Up

You still around Thurrock mate? I don't mind giving you a hand if you're not sure, Thumbs Up.

Yes mate, still here Thumbs Up Thanks for that Rob, I'll drop you a line if I get stuck Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you go on the dell website and type in the service tag number, it'll tell you about your specific PC.

Top tip.

Quote:
M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 S olid State Drive.

What do you reckon, worth just doing a fresh install, or should I buy another drive?

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it you plan on doing with the laptop?

Seems like a half decent drive, I'd just go fresh install if you aren't planning on storing millions of photos or something. For general browsing/usage I would think 256GB would probably do you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:44 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably stick with the original Dell drive if it's big enough for you. Companies use them because they are built to be robust and reliable for big IT rollouts. They could easily buy something faster and cheaper but choose not to.

If you do decide to fiddle with it, they are also assembled like lego, very easy to work on.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
What is it you plan on doing with the laptop?

Seems like a half decent drive, I'd just go fresh install if you aren't planning on storing millions of photos or something. For general browsing/usage I would think 256GB would probably do you.

Yeah just general browsing - nothing fancy.

Think I'll just do a fresh install on it then Thumbs Up

So, is it possible I get a copy of W11 from the website and then use the product key from my PC? Or would that screw one install or the other?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

So, is it possible I get a copy of W11 from the website and then use the product key from my PC? Or would that screw one install or the other?

Have a look in the update centre, some of them are offering a free upgrade via that. I know I had to jump through hoops to stop Mrs stinkwheels Dell constantly pestering her to install it. You'll probably have to click on a setting that lets it offer it to you because it's probably set for doing security and essential updates only, have a look in there anyway and see what's going on (running to the limits of my windows knowledge here, I try to avoid using it where possible). You might be locked out of some settings if it's a business PC.

It should certainly let you make a windows recovery disc and reinstall windows using the built-in digital key.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardware might license W10 or W11 that's what I find with newer machines, might only be Personal edition but it's usually enough for most things.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:27 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to put mint linux on it.

You can put it on a bootable USB drive and have a test drive using the live version. Then if it all works and you like it, you can install it as your OS.

If you're just using it for browsing, it'll fly on anything that runs windows 10. Doesn't run MS office but it comes with libreoffice. Uses firefox as standard browser but you can put chrome on if you preferr.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Another option would be to put mint linux on it.

You can put it on a bootable USB drive and have a test drive using the live version. Then if it all works and you like it, you can install it as your OS.

If you're just using it for browsing, it'll fly on anything that runs windows 10. Doesn't run MS office but it comes with libreoffice. Uses firefox as standard browser but you can put chrome on if you preferr.

Thanks Stinkers. Have never used Linux before but can't think why it won't be fine - I only really need it for general browsing which will be done on Chrome.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than creating repair media (or rather, as well as), another option is to download windows 10 and run the installer. Being a Dell and being ex-commercial use it might well have a volumn license key but also if it's already windows 10 it'll probably self-activate anyway.

The reason I say use a download is that it might have been installed from an image rather than the windows installer. Companies do this to streamline their installs, but you don't end up with vanilla Windows, rather you might get their compay install along with their VPN/monitoring/login software.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:51 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just buy a Win 10 key off ebay for £2.50
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbling.

Can't get it to recognise the USB - going through the boot menu it just doesn't recognise it. If I try to do anything it's asking for admin password which I don't have, of course.

Not sure what I can do?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Stumbling.

Can't get it to recognise the USB - going through the boot menu it just doesn't recognise it. If I try to do anything it's asking for admin password which I don't have, of course.

Not sure what I can do?

Have you tried the website I linked earlier that gives you the BIOS password using the serial code? https://bios-pw.org/
Pretty sure my laptop was the same since work had blocked USB access and I had to reset it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Have you tried the website I linked earlier that gives you the BIOS password using the serial code? https://bios-pw.org/
Pretty sure my laptop was the same since work had blocked USB access and I had to reset it.

I have an Express Service Code and a Service Tag (S/N) - the Express Service Code brings up a HP or Acer device on that site, rather than a Dell Latitude.

Trying all the random numbers off the back but with no joy.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Right I managed to get the BIOS password from that site but, unfortunately, it's saying it's an incorrect password. So I'm stuck..... again.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BIOS website doesn't give me a 'Dell From Serial Number' code which is what, looking at videos on YouTube, seems to work for most.

I have been reading up on PSWD Jumpers but that's getting a bit beyond me.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2