Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is this worth taking a chance on or bin it

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

stu9
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Is this worth taking a chance on or bin it Reply with quote

A 30 year old K11lt that's sat outside for 12 years under a cover, it's been partially stripped, doesn't run, turns over but the starter stops after a few seconds (need a new one or rebuilt). It's only got 25000 on it but it's the fact it's been outside for bloody years.
I thought about breaking it but it's waiting for stuff to sell a they're not popular.
Or just bin it..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 year old 'barn find' will be a big project to restore.
If you have time, abilities, resources and a premises to take it on then why not.

Did you turn the engine over using a good battery?

30sec life sounds like a s4it battery. (That's a battery with 'Full charge' but phuqued chemically.)

Parts may be a struggle.

BMW do keep stock for the expected population but obscure seldom replaced parts will not be available now from factory.
Some spares are MAO made as ordered. Made for production run or to market demand.

I have a 66yr old bsa under a bike cover 'somewhere' in the garage.
It needs stripped, cleaned, shot blasted and powder coated. And some mechanical stuff.
But I have no space to lay out the bits, then finding the time to do it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:37 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine turns over then pretty much everything else is fixable I reckon. I'd not want to take on a full engine rebuild for example, but I'd happily troubleshoot electrical or ignition issues for the sake of a project and/or decent rideable bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:44 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... partially stripped = parts (IME usually obscure and/or expensive) missing, plus you'll have whatever the reason why it was dismantled and parked 12 years ago to deal with. And in those 12 years it won't have matured like a fine wine either; every screw, clip, nut, bolt and fastener on it will be rusted to fuck and seized solid. even assuming you don't lose interest/get snookered by unobtanium parts and you do actually get it back on the road, you will almost certainly have spent far in excess of what you could have bought a working one for in the first place.

With old shitters like this, my decision usually tips on whether or not the engine runs without making noises that suggest imminent demise. As it looks like it'll cost you a starter motor to even ascertain this, I'd be leaving it where it is.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For free? Maybe. Otherwise no, especially if exhaust/intakes has been stripped off and cylinders exposed to the air

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I avoid projects that have had parts removed. Even stuff like a brake disc, or an exhaust system, or set of carbs, will add a lot of costs to the project. That's not taking into account the usual stuff: rubber parts, seals, bearings, etc.

Spending £3K (guess) to put a bike on the road that will be worth £800 when done is a mug's game.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:02 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Is this worth taking a chance on or bin it Reply with quote

stu9 wrote:
A 30 year old K11lt that's sat outside for 12 years under a cover, it's been partially stripped, doesn't run

What you've got there is a barn find unfinished project cafe racer scrambler flat tracker special.

Someone will buy it from you for more than it's worth.

Wub

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:06 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIth luck someone will spoon the camel and take it off your hands quickly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
With luck dave001 will spoon the camel

And that's why he can't use a spellchecker?

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
WIth luck someone will spoon the camel and take it off your hands quickly.
Camels need spooning are going to be spooned.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're unlikely to make money on it. So decide what you want out of it.

From a parts perspective I'd say you'd be OK actually.

BMW are quite good at exploded parts diagrams with product numbers and there are enough of them about.

My CZ has been a fucking nightmare as none of the dealers use parts numbers.

stu9
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what I want to do with it being honest, all I know is it'll be a lot of work.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu9 wrote:
Not sure what I want to do with it being honest, all I know is it'll be a lot of work.

It's not clear if this is a) yours alreday, b) for sale cheap, c) owned by another and free to good home..

if a) or c)

Get it started.. it will double it's value. If it then excites you keep it, if not ebay.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1