Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Officially an OAP

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:28 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Officially an OAP Reply with quote

It's quite weird. After years of working, the world being my oyster. I am now an official pensioner. The country is paying money to exist until I die.

I feel quite deflated.

Rum time.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:03 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Officially an OAP Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It's quite weird. After years of working, the world being my oyster. I am now an official pensioner. The country is paying money to exist until I die.

I feel quite deflated.

Rum time.

Not sure if I should be disappointed or what.

Does this mean the bcf massive has to go easy on you from now on?

Will you be running your bcf account with no filter now?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy retirement Polarbear - hope the local lawn bowls club are welcoming and the bridge club full of interesting folk Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:56 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m trying to retire, not old enough for my pension yet but I’m titsed off with spending days working when there are things I’d rather be doing.

When bits start to ache and hurt more or less constantly you start to get conscious that there will come a time when you can no longer do some of the things you enjoy.

Have fun and remember that you can’t take it with you.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Officially an OAP Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I feel quite deflated.

Rum time.

Bollocks, you're not grumpy enough to be a pensioner Laughing

I don't think the state pension will exist when it comes my time to retire though Mad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats PB. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

When bits start to ache and hurt more or less constantly you start to get conscious that there will come a time when you can no longer do some of the things you enjoy.

Isn't that the truth. I struggle with moving my bike around now. I should seriously look at something smaller or heaven forbid, a low cruiser. Laughing

In reality I suspect this will be my last bike, It's the garage queen of garage queens and I can't really see it getting much more use. Crying or Very sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, I'm having enough aches and groans every time I move and I'm only early 50s.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smells of wee in here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:10 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Smells of wee in here.

Sorry about that, it was a long walk to the toiilet with my back.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Happy retirement Polarbear - hope the local lawn bowls club are welcoming and the bridge club full of interesting folk Thumbs Up

It's actually the local model railway club I have started to frequent. Embarassed

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 13 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Officially an OAP Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I feel quite deflated.

Rum time.
Are high waisted beige trousers suddenly starting to appeal to you?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I should seriously look at something smaller or heaven forbid, a low cruiser. Laughing

Mmmm, my father-in-law was of the same mind... and now rides around on itty-bity little Harley Breakout Wink
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:55 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
arry wrote:

It's actually the local model railway club I have started to frequent. Embarassed

*chuckles* that will be where the smell of wee is coming from!

Mate of mine is in our local one, aside from it being a bit of a nerds thing - they're a friendly bunch and it's far from the worst thing you could do with your free time.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on making it that far, and be smug in the fact that us workers will be paying for your incontinence pants from now on until death...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Officially an OAP Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I feel quite deflated.

Rum time.

Welcome to the club - I started getting mine in March. Free money* ftw Thumbs Up

I'm still working as well so mine goes straight into an ISA although I'm starting to think about phased retirement...

Meanwhile you whippersnappers work harder and pay more taxes to keep me in the manner to which I'd like to become accustomed. Laughing

*yes yes I know that's not how it works and that I've paid into this over a lifetime of working...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although for me officially the state pension will kick in at 67 I'm planning to at least work to 70. Dunno what I'll be doing, mind. Either stick with the software development or retrain as a robo-psychologist Wink
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

im wondering if retiring will be phased out i make the grade Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy retirement Polarbear!

I’m 60 and still working, probably until 67. The retirement thing has crept up on me, albeit I’m now stuffing my workplace pension with whatever I can. I understand the amount of State Pension is dependent on having made enough contributions. I expect I’ve made enough but to check I apparently need to create a Government Gateway user ID. What was wrong with my NI number? I know I will need the full amount.

arry wrote:
hope the local lawn bowls club are welcoming Thumbs Up

Lawn bowls is a cracking game I play once a year with mates at the work social club while downing a jug of beer each, although I’m worried I can’t take the booze this year compared to the 40’s whipper-snappers. Difficult journey home on the train and Shanks’s Pony.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Happy retirement Polarbear!

I’m 60 and still working, probably until 67. The retirement thing has crept up on me, albeit I’m now stuffing my workplace pension with whatever I can. I understand the amount of State Pension is dependent on having made enough contributions. I expect I’ve made enough but to check I apparently need to create a Government Gateway user ID. What was wrong with my NI number? I know I will need the full amount.

Do it and check. Seriously. I was short due to the time I was farmed out to the Nigerian LNG company and the Malaysian shipping co. I only knew when I checked with the gov gateway or i'd be short on my state pension. I had to pay some extra voluntery contributions. I suspect you will be fine working in UK though. Just make sure. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Although for me officially the state pension will kick in at 67 I'm planning to at least work to 70. Dunno what I'll be doing, mind. Either stick with the software development or retrain as a robo-psychologist Wink

Why? Just why? At 67 you should be putting your feet up and accepting titbits from scantily clad ladies, not working you balls off.

Enough people die way before that age, Do you really want to die on the job? (working, not the other. Laughing )

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Government Gateway user ID. What was wrong with my NI number?

Do it and check.

Started to, but it all feels a bit invasive. I’m a suspicious sod who doesn’t trust the government.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
At 67 you should be putting your feet up and accepting titbits from scantily clad ladies, not working you balls off.

What makes you think I'm working my balls off at the moment? Work smart, not hard Wink As I've mentioned before: I like my job, I like that software I've written is in use all round the world. Doing my bit to make hospitality workers lives just a little less shit Very Happy
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2