Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed mod 1 can’t get new test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Room-101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:21 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Failed mod 1 can’t get new test Reply with quote

Hi everyone, so I failed my mod1 last week and my instructor is saying he can’t get any new test dates till at least July as they are all booked.

Would I be wrong to contact another instructor and see if they have any spare tests available and if so, do it through them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 1 can’t get new test Reply with quote

Room-101 wrote:
Hi everyone, so I failed my mod1 last week and my instructor is saying he can’t get any new test dates till at least July as they are all booked.

Would I be wrong to contact another instructor and see if they have any spare tests available and if so, do it through them?

It's a free market, but maybe you failed because you need more practice in which case some more tuition might help
you not balls it up next time?

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that's going to be the case this time of year as aspiring new riders rush to get their licences in spring for the summer. There's 2 guys I work with doing this right now.

Like Grr said, maybe just use the time to work on what you need to. Or try your luck and see if any other schools have had a cancellation maybe, it happens.

Good luck either way.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Room-101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:45 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 1 can’t get new test Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
Room-101 wrote:

what did you fail on and maybe could you ask if intructor can get you another test booked at a deifferent test center

I failed by locking up my rear wheel by slamming my back brake on when doing the emergency stop. Never done it at all in my practice sessions and after my test we went and did more practice and never did it then either. It was also fairly wet.

Since failing my instructor basically spat his dummy out being really moody and was saying we would have to wait for this certain test centre as he wasn’t willing to go elsewhere. He is also planning on taking most of May and June off so I’m a bit stuck.

I’ve looked at availability myself at other test centres and can see some availability just don’t have the bike to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking May and June off at arguably the busiest time of the year for motorcycle instructors?! Sounds sus to me,

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 1 can’t get new test Reply with quote

Room-101 wrote:

I failed by locking up my rear wheel by slamming my back brake on when doing the emergency stop. Never done it at all in my practice sessions and after my test we went and did more practice and never did it then either. It was also fairly wet.

Since failing my instructor basically spat his dummy out being really moody and was saying we would have to wait for this certain test centre as he wasn’t willing to go elsewhere. He is also planning on taking most of May and June off so I’m a bit stuck.

I’ve looked at availability myself at other test centres and can see some availability just don’t have the bike to use.

Instructor sounds like a dickhead, leave him a review saying exactly what he's planning on doing and find another one
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact other training schools locally to see what they have to say.

I'd expect them to want you to do at least some training with them before letting you do the test on their bike, who knows, see what they have to say about it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school sounds shit. I only had four hours of tuition before doing both parts of my test but we still did at least 10
emergency stops in the car park where we learned the drills for mod 1. Find another school and stop putting money
in their till.

Room-101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:45 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
The school sounds shit. I only had four hours of tuition before doing both parts of my test but we still did at least 10
emergency stops in the car park where we learned the drills for mod 1. Find another school and stop putting money
in their till.

He has been good until I failed then became a mardy arse.

I’ve spoken to another school and they are happy for me to do my two tests with them and have a couple lessons just means I’ll be paying more money out and losing what I have paid to my current instructor.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Mod 1 retake. Reply with quote

No abs? How old are the bikes? No lock up on mod 1, no fail. Pass rate great, students happy as fuck.

Go elsewhere and accept the loss!

We've had a few pupils come to us for similar reasons.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 retake. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
No abs? How old are the bikes? No lock up on mod 1, no fail. Pass rate great, students happy as fuck.

Go elsewhere and accept the loss!

We've had a few pupils come to us for similar reasons.

i did wonder, even newer 125's should mostly be brake discs all round now?

i failed locking a back brake up, but this was on a rear drum CG from 1992
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 17 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Contact other training schools locally to see what they have to say.

I'd expect them to want you to do at least some training with them before letting you do the test on their bike, who knows, see what they have to say about it.

This.

A school will require you to do a little training session with them before allowing you on their bike. I wont take the word of a student without seeing them ride first.

As for the Estop. I tell my students to just rest their foot on the back brake without adding pressure. The examiner is looking for effective use of both brakes, as your weight goes forward under braking you will activate the rear brake enough to show it being used without adding too much.

You can also let the bike stall by leaving the clutch alone, it is not a rider fault if you stall on the Estop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 17 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
As for the Estop. I tell my students to just rest their foot on the back brake without adding pressure. The examiner is looking for effective use of both brakes, as your weight goes forward under braking you will activate the rear brake enough to show it being used without adding too much.

This is what I was told for my test, and what I did. Depress the lever a little but don't actually use it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:29 - 17 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
You can also let the bike stall by leaving the clutch alone, it is not a rider fault if you stall on the Estop.

Really? Genuinely curious if you'd not get a fault at all? I guess its a minor enough point when the idea is to stop Laughing

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:51 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

Really? Genuinely curious if you'd not get a fault at all? I guess its a minor enough point when the idea is to stop Laughing

The examiners are looking for a stop. If the bike stalls at any other time a fault can be recorded but not during the Estop element.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:03 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting Very Happy Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

The examiners are looking for a stop. If the bike stalls at any other time a fault can be recorded but not during the Estop element.

I'm sure the same applies in a car. Stopping quickly and on cue in a safe distance is what they are looking for.
If you do stall then correct restarting of the car, observational procedures and moving away safely again will
be enough for the stall to not count against you.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
P. wrote:

This is interesting for me because I remember when I was being prepared for MOD 1 that I was told stalling would be a fault for losing control of the bike.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

This is interesting for me because I remember when I was being prepared for MOD 1 that I was told stalling would be a fault for losing control of the bike.

On any other element it can be a fault. But for the Estop they want the stop more than the engine to remain running.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
P. wrote:

I remember being a bit surprised when doing my mod1 training when I was told to do this; the instructor simply said "it's all about stopping and quickly and safely as possible; don't worry about anything else". It felt very wrong to deliberately stall out the bike (and I think I actually dipped the clutch at the last minute on the actual test) but hey, we're back to the "realities" of the mod1 test. Wink

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:24 - 21 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The examiner asked me yesterday if I am encouraging the student to stop on the Estop. I told him yes. Said it was not a fault and it's better than the student grabbing a handful of clutch and locking the back wheel up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:53 - 21 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing my test training over 30 years ago the instructor told me off for going down the gears whilst doing the emergency brake maneuver.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2