Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A quick question for a vet...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: A quick question for a vet... Reply with quote

So some people were asked how much CO2 is in the atmosphere. 5% ? 7% ? 8% ? Wow... okay Shocked

I know from beer cellars you don't need much to fall asleep and wake up dead Sad Only ~1% CO2 in the atmosphere to start feeling the ill effects and of course if there's a canister leak that percentage will only go up. (Thankfully outside at sea level the concentration is a tiny 0.04%)

Anyhoo, 1% is the number for the average human but how are animals affected? Is that a universal number for mammals or would something like a rat tolerate more or less CO2 in the atmosphere?

Paging Mr. Stinkwheel Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:02 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 1% CO2 is lethal, how does mouth to mouth work where what you are exhaling is about 4-5% CO2?

Grizly
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Scuba diving Reply with quote

I used to be a scuba diver and we were always concerned with our air purity and how our bodies worked.
We can tolerate higher levels of other gasses for a short time.

We turn oxygen into CO2 and it's that (at about 5%) which triggers our desire to breathe and why hyperventilating before free diving is a bad idea.

The 5% exhaled into another non breathing person will help them with starting breathing again.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if you aren't breathing your lungs would be saturated with a much higher percentage of CO2 than the 5% in exhaled air.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If 1% CO2 is lethal, how does mouth to mouth work where what you are exhaling is about 4-5% CO2?

Where did you get the idea 1% is lethal?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, increased Carbon dioxide concentration triggers normal breathing so the 1% you're talking about in an enclosed space will make you feel breathless, maybe sleepy. (remember, the exhaled CO2 will add to the envoronmental levels in your lungs). Not toxic so it would take prolonged exposure to kill you but not something you'd want to be working in

As I recall, over 5% is distincltly unpleasant and will cause all sorts of symptoms, around 9% is toxic and can cause rapid unconciouslness then death. Over 30% is rapidly fatal but acts more like an anesthetic.

As Grizly correctly says, in my field during anaesthetics, there are probably more issues with not enough CO2 because over-ventilation drops the concentration which reduces the automatic breathing responses. You can land up with a patient being hypoxic (not enough oxygen) but also hypocapnic (not enough CO2) and not spontaneously breathing. This isn't a huge problem, it's why we have them intubated and bagged. While hypoxia will eventually trigger rescue breathing, it's not good enough.

There was a fashion for adding some CO2 to the gas mix to stimulate breathing but it's tricky to monitor and geting it wrong can have severe consequences, what we do more often now is monitor them for oxygen saturation and only give extra breaths when this drops below an acceptable level.

I think most mammals are of a similar tolerance to humans. Birds are much less tolerant of poor air quality (think canaries in mines). Not sure exactly why but avian lungs are ridgid and mechanically ventilated by air sacks drawing air back and forwards through them and they have different blood cell structure. The smaller the animal, the more rapid the metabolic rate so I'd expect smaller mammals to get in trouble more quickly but the trouble to happen at similar concentrations. Whales and diving mammals have some weird mechanism for dealing with CO2 I don't really know much about.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random thought, whether there were more or less rats in beer cellars 'cos of the CO2 Smile Thanks, Mr. Stinkwheel!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:09 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use high concentrations of CO2 to kill rats for feeding to pet reptiles. Same with pigs, that's why the recent CO2 shortages caused a shortage of bacon.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:33 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point 9f order. My father who was a butcher said everything sold as bacon is actually salt pork and not bacon because it isn't cured correctly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:38 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Point 9f order. My father who was a butcher said everything sold as bacon is actually salt pork and not bacon because it isn't cured correctly.

Both are still made from dead pig though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Humans breath 21% Oxygen at sea level 14.5 PSI.

CPR involves pushing exhaled breath into a non-breathing human.
Exhaled human breath contains 17% oxygen which is sufficient to 'sustain' a human life.

I did some training with ANSUL fire equipment.

During the training it was mentioned that a CO2 fire extinguisher can assist those trapped in a fire. The increases CO2 stimulates deep breathing which will pull in more oxygen.

The studies on this effect are a bit vague though.
Theoretically substantial but probably not worth the fuss in real life.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:01 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

During the training it was mentioned that a CO2 fire extinguisher can assist those trapped in a fire. The increases CO2 stimulates deep breathing which will pull in more oxygen.

Best use for a fire extinguisher in a fire is to break down a door or smash a window so you can get out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:30 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats are known for their ability to tolerate a wide range of environmental conditions, including high levels of CO2. Rats have a high tolerance for CO2 because they have a more efficient respiratory system than humans.

The respiratory system of rats is more efficient than that of humans because rats have a higher respiratory rate and a larger lung capacity relative to their body size. This means that rats can inhale and exhale more air per unit of time than humans, allowing them to eliminate CO2 from their bodies more efficiently.

In addition, rats have a higher concentration of carbonic anhydrase, an enzyme that helps to regulate the pH of the blood by converting CO2 into bicarbonate ions. This means that rats can more effectively regulate their blood pH in the presence of high levels of CO2

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Does it work? I thought the consensus was not to do the mouth-to-mouth, as it's ineffective, and it makes much more sense to do the chest compressions to keep the blood circulating. Thinking

That being said, drop the ''2'' and you get much more lethal gas, the carbon monoxide. Oddly enough this lethal gas also has got its health benefits in very, very small doses.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:07 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Does it work? I thought the consensus was not to do the mouth-to-mouth, as it's ineffective, and it makes much more sense to do the chest compressions to keep the blood circulating. Thinking

Two reasons. One was people are understandably reluctant to do mouth to mouth on a stranger in a day and age where people can and have contracted hepatitis from giving first aid. Putting out a message to do compressions only encourages them to do something. Also to keeping it simple, people get confused about if they should do breaths, how many etc. the compressions are more important.

Breaths help with effective resuccitation so give them if you feel you can but chest compressions are most important, that's what circulates the oxygen. Even a defibrullator or adrenaline is a waste of time if your heart has stopped without the compressions. You need a good 2 minutes of effective chest compressions for stopped cardiac muscle cells to have recovered sufficiently to start beating again. Open an AED and the first thing it'll do is tell you is to start doing chest compressions.

Last time I did CPR on a human at an RTA, I didn't do breaths because frankly, there was a lot of blood about and it was a total stranger. I did do chest compression in shifts with an off duty police officer for a good 10-15 minutes before a competent paramedic crew arrived. He died in the end, but he was alive enough to be airlifted to hospital and have his family make a decision about organ donation.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 15 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPR and Rescue Breaths.

30 compressions of at least 2 inches over the heart area between the nipples.

Then two rescue breaths, where a perceivable movement of the chest can be seen.
Blowing too hard can push air into the stomach and create resistance to rescue breaths.

Repeat until exhausted or until Medical help gets there.

The compressions do not create much heart activity but the speed and repeated cycles can help keep a brain alive.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:15 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The compressions do not create much heart activity but the speed and repeated cycles can help keep a brain alive.

The trouble is that by the time it's stopped beating, the cardiac muscle is exhausted and hypoxic. Given enough time to recover and oxygen, they can start beating again spontaneously, or an intervention like shocking a fibrullating rythm, giving drugs or even a precordial thump can kick-start them. The compressions are also supplying the heart itself with oxygen. Drugs and defibrulation will do nothing unless you've done this first. Drugs wont even get there unless you pump them round.

TV doesn't help. When you treat an arrest, you don't stand around watching to see if your intervention has worked. You do compressions for 2 minutes, pause briefly to see if there is any sort of rythm you can shock or give drugs to. If there is you administer this and immediately start another 2 minute cycle then stop again briefly to see if it worked or if you should try another intervention.

It helps to think of the heart as a pump and the compressions are manually working the pump until the power comes back on.

Quote:
Repeat until exhausted or until Medical help gets there

Or until your patient shows signs of recovery, such as breathing.

There is also a good argument for not fucking about trying to find a pulse. If your patient is unconcious and not breathing start CPR. You are highly unlikely to stop a heart by giving CPR whereas the swithering about trying to decide if anyone thinks they can feel a pulse can mean the difference between life and death.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Two reasons.

Isn't a third reason the fact that administering CPR is apparently absolutely exhausting (correct?) and that in order for it to be kept going long enough until the emergency services arrive to take over, it makes more sense to be realistic about what can be achieved. I don't think there's much doubt that if you have adequate motivated and trained volunteers, the optimum is to use mouth-to-mouth as well.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:54 - 16 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Isn't a third reason the fact that administering CPR is apparently absolutely exhausting (correct?) and that in order for it to be kept going long enough until the emergency services arrive to take over, it makes more sense to be realistic about what can be achieved. I don't think there's much doubt that if you have adequate motivated and trained volunteers, the optimum is to use mouth-to-mouth as well.

This is true. When I was in the TA they made us take turns at keeping a recusci-Annie going for half an hour solo (and they have a monitor in it to check your breaths and compressions are effective). Pretty much fit to drop by that point.

Equally, when doing it on a real person, there is a sizeable adrenaline dump that comes into play.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouth to mouth is fucking gross and no way Id do it Razz Even on a loved one I'd probably think twice.

Generally when someone "dies" the first thing to go is all their muscles relax and the sphincter stopping all your stomach contents going back up your throat opens up and as a result you get a lovely liquid cocktail coming out the mouth that smells like a 3 day old Big Mac. Plus maybe add in a bit of foamy bubbly blood too if people have actually been doing effective CPR rather than gently massaging the chest. I dont think I've ever seen a member of the public giving anything even vaguely resembling effective CPR, so confusing them even further by getting them to try and give mouth to mouth as well is just too much.

Which just means basic first aid and general self care should be mandatory learning at school.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Mouth to mouth is fucking gross and no way Id do it Razz Even on a loved one I'd probably think twice.

Generally when someone "dies" the first thing to go is all their muscles relax and the sphincter stopping all your stomach contents going back up your throat opens up and as a result you get a lovely liquid cocktail coming out the mouth that smells like a 3 day old Big Mac. Plus maybe add in a bit of foamy bubbly blood too if people have actually been doing effective CPR rather than gently massaging the chest. I dont think I've ever seen a member of the public giving anything even vaguely resembling effective CPR, so confusing them even further by getting them to try and give mouth to mouth as well is just too much.

Which just means basic first aid and general self care should be mandatory learning at school.

CPR does help.

And the idea that its better to do something in this case means a lot.

It might not be the stats you accept as worthy of your efforts but if it helps 1 out of 10 people then is 100% effective for that 10%

"1. CPR Saves Lives.
Currently, about 9 in 10 people who have cardiac arrest outside the hospital die.2 But CPR can help improve those odds. If it is performed in the first few minutes of cardiac arrest, CPR can double or triple a person’s chance of survival.2"

A lot of 'bad press' is probably due to not enough people being trained in CPR.

There are a lot of things most folk do not know.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently doing cpr properly can result in broken bones for the patient.
most people arent aware just how much pressure is needed to perform it properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:47 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
most people arent aware just how much pressure is needed to perform it properly.

Yes, if you're doing it properly, you've got a good chance of popping some ribs. Which they won't be needing if they're dead.

A good way of looking at it is that if their heart has stopped beating, the person is dead. The situation can only possibly improve from that point so you should have a go.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 21 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Medical term for that:
You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

(Or was that Can't Cook Won't Cook?)

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Best CPR training I received was from a retired A&E nurse. I was amazed at just how much force she was getting us to administer to the Annie. None of that kneel by the subject and press hard stuff but almost jumping using the weight of your body. Im pretty sure if given properly the subject is going to be very sore and no suprise if ribs are cracked. Ive never given CPR but been present once and its nightmarishly stressful. The guy didn't live (heroin overdose) and my colleague giving the CPR was knackered and for weeks afterwards was having flashbacks and a lot of difficult thoughts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2