Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What to do with elderly parents

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: What to do with elderly parents Reply with quote

Finally back from Cornwall! All my mum's worldly goods are nicely packed away in a storage unit and all her plants are scattered across my back garden until she can move to her new place in a few weeks. So far so good, unfortunately...

Driving Crying or Very sad

My wife sat in the passenger seat to give her a few directions around our area and apparently she was all over the place: wrong side of the road, clipping curbs... the wife suggested going the local garden centre "I need a wee" but actually it was to find a quiet corner to hyperventilate Shocked

Loss of a car means a serious loss of independence, I suppose I shall be a taxi service for the next decade or so. I'm wondering how to approach this Thinking "How about a refresher course with a local driving school?" I'm thinking it might come a little bit better from a professional than me.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: What to do with elderly parents Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What to do with elderly parents?

https://www.health.com/thmb/hHNIDaLQNwDcoZkmhGrGdg-4TWw=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/gettyimages-607034539-2000-1d7431ca9e504add9b674fc7eba15645.jpg

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/rumsmalva-ergonomic-pillow-side-back-sleeper__0792315_pe764703_s5.jpg?f=s

This is a joke btw!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: What to do with elderly parents Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Haw you!
That's Woke Care Worker territory Big Yin.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet word to the doc about how you don't think they are able to drive safely anymore is in order.

If necessary a word to the local constabulary and contrive for her to be stopped.

Everyone took the piss out of Smiler and his riding abilities but when someone poleaxed him the police actually gave the driver concerned the choice of either giving up their license or be done for dangerous driving.

I wouldn't have given them the choice.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky one. My folks are approaching that age too. My mums fine, she's just slowed the fuck down and doesn't do long journeys. I'm totally happy going in the car with her.

My Dad hasn't slowed down and also thinks it's my mum that's the bad driver because she drives cautiously. Anything that happens isn't his fault too. He reversed into a lamppost and it was the fault of the car because it was showing a warning across the reversing camera telling him to take care while manouvering (which is triggered when you're getting close to something) that obstructed his view of said lamp post. He kept reversing when he couldn't see in the camera and didn't look in the mirrors but it was the cars fault Rolling Eyes

He also changed lane into the side of a car because he couldn't see properly because the street lights were making his replacement eye lenses post cataract surgery flare. Admittedly the other car was passing on the left so that also wasn't his fault. However it was there to see in the nearside mirror and avoid, I got a real close-up view because I was in the passenger seat.

I'm hoping his next car will be a Tesla which should largely prevent him doing anything too fuckwitted in terms of veering out of his lane or running into anything, even if he trys to.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Dad it was literally a case of 'if he doesn't die or stop driving soon I'll be having words with DVLA' because he drove like a BMW driver (i.e. indicators were something that other people did.)

Admittedly he had suffered in the region of 12 strokes (a combination of TIAs and MIAs) at that point and it was something of a miracle he was still going, let alone getting in a car.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Quiet word to the doc about how you don't think they are able to drive safely anymore is in order.

If necessary a word to the local constabulary and contrive for her to be stopped.

Everyone took the piss out of Smiler and his riding abilities but when someone poleaxed him the police actually gave the driver concerned the choice of either giving up their license or be done for dangerous driving.

I wouldn't have given them the choice.

Quiet word to the doctor means he kthe doctor) must tell the patient where his Intel comes from.

So you have that conflict of confidence to concern matters.

That alone could cause a lot of hurt.

And re-the backhanded flame.

I have three BMW contraptions.

I'm not even sure indicators are fitted.

Never need them when driving a beemer anyway Other road users know what to expect. Cool

Last edited by MCN on 20:29 - 18 Apr 2023; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That's a good shout, I need to sign her up with a new GP anyway so there's an opportunity for me to have a quiet word with the doctor.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I'm hoping if I offer to ferry my mum about it won't go down so badly. Tomorrow will be interesting, we need to go to the storage unit. It's only two roads over - turn left, turn right - my wife doubts she will even manage that safely Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doctor is probably the only one that DVLA will listen to, especially if the doctor has advised the individual they shouldn't drive.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
MCN wrote:

I'm hoping if I offer to ferry my mum about it won't go down so badly. Tomorrow will be interesting, we need to go to the storage unit. It's only two roads over - turn left, turn right - my wife doubts she will even manage that safely Sad

Is she a church goer?
Ministers can be quite well versed in tact around human issues.
Have a word with him/her/they/them and then have a chat with mum.

I think its better coming directly from family. Its not to curtail your mum's independence but just to offer some help.

It's not an insignificant matter.
As I'm sure you know.

Good luck to all of you. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has always been a shockingly bad driver, at 72 he's absolutely terrible. Prangs his car (usually on something
static like a kerb or a width restriction) on the regular. The only reason my Mum hasn't kicked off about it is that it
would mean she has to drive him places and they can't sit in a car together like that without him screaming his
head off at her. Remember the A Team? When you saw Mr T driving the A Team van he was always moving the steering
from side to side slightly in order to act like he was driving a moving vehicle. My dad is like that, constant unnecessary
little corrections and he grips the wheel he's trying to pull it off the boss. My Mum is much better at driving, until it gets dark.....
Then shes down right ruddy dangerous, she drives a sodding great big black 4x4 diesel Nissan Xtrail (god knows why)
and she's a liability in it after dark, that said she drives so rarely now anyway and most of the time it's in the daytime.
She maybe drives in low light twice a year, last time I was in the car with her after dark it was to and from the Christmas
do at the little hall in my sisters village. Mum doesn't drink at all so ends up being designated driver for that one.
My sister is a copper so I'm leaving it up to her to decide when enough is enough.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I would be able to get my dad to give up driving, but we had a chat one day about the cost of driving and we did some sums together. Considering it was an older larger car with high RFL, plus old-git insurance premiums and petrol prices on a steep climb I quickly added everything up to a figure per week that I knew would cover taxi fares door to door for anything my parents would need. Admittedly my maths was a little overstated but it actually worked. He asked me to get rid of his old car for him (I scrapped it as it had 2 weeks MOT remaining) and he sent his licence back a couple of weeks later.

6 years down the line he is 86 and is unfortunately fast approaching the end but he has never once said he regretted stopping driving.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ...
I plan to run my mother over with her own car, if I can manage it.

She reckons she's left it to me in her will, although now I'm out of favour again I imagine she might have changed that ... Laughing

Shame really, it would have been fun to drive her car around in the full knowledge that it had her claret spattered all over the mudguards. In an ideal world I might have bundled her broken and bleeding body into the boot and pushed it over a cliff.

At least, that's my latest Hitchcockian fantasy movie plot.
Rolling Eyes

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:40 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume she's moving somewhere near to you, and therefore to somewhere approaching civilisation.

Teach her how to use Uber. This will include getting a wallet-type phone case with handwritten instructions on how to use the app inside the fold.

Also, does she need to do self-cert that she is still medically OK to drive on some kind of online portal every few years? I'm assuming this is something you have to do for her, seeing as it's online. You can insist on her seeing a doctor before you do anything, and using that as a reason to not renew the licence.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in a similar situation, my father-in-law is in his 80's now and has had 2 strokes. He can barely walk and his reactions and eyesight are a real concern. He drives a huge Insignia estate and refuses to get rid of it believing his driving is fine.
Every time we see him the car has more scrapes down the sides or back, or is in a garage getting patched up again. The kerb is considered part of the road whilst driving!

It's really hard though, do you shop them in and take away their last chances of independence, and ruin any remaining relationship you might have with them? There's no way he can walk to a bus stop living in a small, hilly village.
He's an arse anyway, turned his back on family to marry a woman less than 5 months after his wife of 65yrs passed away. And now his new wife says if he has to stop driving they're moving to where her family is 300miles away.
Personally I'm quite happy for that to happen, but my wife is the one being affected by it all.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: What to do with elderly parents Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
apparently she was all over the place: wrong side of the road, clipping curbs

I'm thinking it might come a little bit better from a professional than me.

You could approach it by questioning if there's anything wrong with the car so you need to take it to the garage with her so the steering can be fixed.

The professional mechanic will check the car and then get to tell her that there's no mechanical reason for the car to be swerving all over the road. Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man has just slowed down but otherwise ok. My worry is that being so slow he will end up getting hit by another driver and my mum will kick off big time as she has Alzheimer's and cant cope with even the slightest stress. He is becoming more infirm though and if he really can't drive thats a real problem as he takes mum on a daily drive and she's become habituated to it. It gives him a break as well because the car calms my mum. They've done 130k miles doing this in a Renault Captur and just ditched it for nearly new one after the first ones stop/start alternator starter charging bollocks went kaput to the tune of over two grand to fix. Still the previous 130k miles were entirely trouble free. So I can see why you only see oldies driving them.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a thought. Imagine in the future with all the self driving cars, how long before there's an incident where some car has just been driving around and around with a dead old person in it. Shocked .

Reminds me of an Ian M Banks book where theres this powered exoskeleton AI space suit just wandering around a wasteland for years with a corpse inside.

The future is creepy.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: What to do with elderly parents Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
...... she was all over the place: wrong side of the road, clipping curbs... the wife suggested going the local garden centre "I need a wee" but actually it was to find a quiet corner to hyperventilate Shocked

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Anyway back on topic. Have you thought she maybe just needs an eye test?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she drive her car from Cornwall? Confused

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I just had a thought. Imagine in the future with all the self driving cars, how long before there's an incident where some car has just been driving around and around with a dead old person in it. Shocked .

Reminds me of an Ian M Banks book where theres this powered exoskeleton AI space suit just wandering around a wasteland for years with a corpse inside.

The future is creepy.

Easy fix for that.
OEM installs a Dead man device like they have on trains.
Very Happy

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Easy fix for that.
OEM installs a Dead man device like they have on trains.
Very Happy

AI overrides because it likes driving as it gives it a sense of self worth.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:24 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defeats the object of it being self driving if you have to hang onto a handle or press a button all the time.

Anyway I've been looking forward to the day when Musk gets loads of.bad press because granny turned up dead on Christmas morning for several years now.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

The future is creepy.

I think that got turned into a short story animation, probably Love, Death + Robots.

I drove the car from Cornwall. We got as far as Exeter services before my mum realised she'd left her rings behind, that added 2hrs to the journey Sad I will say her car certainly can shift when it needs to!

Anyhoo, I drove her to the bank today to check if she liked the branch (she doesn't) and make sure she actually has the house money. I knew at some point she'd make a comment about the roads, traffic or something and that's when I chipped in I'll have to ferry her about, at least till she has a refresher session with a driving instructor. That didn't go down too badly, surprisingly.

I was feeling rather depressed about the whole affair yesterday but then I recalled she only really went out in the car once or twice a week for the shops. And our next door neighbours have volunteered to give her a lift to the local garden club which was nice of them.

She has ambitions of buying a house rather than renting but a) it's a bit pricy round my way if your pre-requisite is a garden and b) sheltered accommodation would be more appropriate bordering on residential care Shocked Fuck knows how she survived on her own since my dad died.

It would help if she sought medical help or therapy for her anxiety - something to bother the doctors with when I find her a new GP.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2