Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil change and service frequency

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Oil change and service frequency Reply with quote

I bought my motorbike in 2019 December when it had a oil change and new sparkplugs at 29,000 miles. Since then I have only done about 2000 miles. I did keep the bike clean and chain oiled when not in use.

Given the low mileage, do I still need to get a full service on the bike now? If an oil change is recommended, I plan to do it myself, anything more, I will have to take it to a garage.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil should really be changed every year regardless of mileage. I've been known to push it a bit further but certainly once every 18 months or so, at a minimum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:10 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that^^.

If the oil's been in the bike for 4 years then it's definitely time to change it, regardless of the mileage.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above. Oil and oil filters are cheap. Engines aren't. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

People want to sell you oil and filters.

Engine oil collects pollutants, deteriorate in lubrication qualities and collects wear particles.

It doesn't really 'go off' if left out of the fridge with the lid off.

So.... If it only has a couple of 1000 miles on it between the 6000 service it won't do any harm to leave it in there.

A consideration must be made for very extended storage.

In that case, oil should be drained, a fresh filter installed and fresh oil added to the mark.

Any openings should be plugged too. Breather, Exhaust and air filter inlet.

That is to prevent beasties moving in and moisture in air attacking the internal surfaces and condensation collecting in and spoiling the oil.

https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4

The TBN (Total Base Number) is more or less a litmus test reading for the oil.
Diesel engines suffer more from Acid oil because Diesel fuels can have more Sulphur in them. The engine burns off some of the sulphur as Hydrogen Sulphide a Toxic and corrosive compound.

The sulphur not burned off is absorbed by the oil.
The oil has an additive package which includes an acid buffer to reduce the acidity of the oil over time.
The more fuel burned the more acid produced.

That is really what determines oil change intervals for Diesel engines.
The quantity of fuel burned of a known sulphur content helps predict change intervals.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be changing it before two years with such low mileage - which is not unusual with bikes not least as many have a car and bike or 2 and more bikes.
It depends a bit where it lives if in good dry garage less chance of repeating condensation cycles getting into it.
Also it might be more in need if it typically did numerous short trips e.g. To work without getting fully warmed up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I wouldn't be changing it before two years with such low mileage - which is not unusual with bikes not least as many have a car and bike or 2 and more bikes.
It depends a bit where it lives if in good dry garage less chance of repeating condensation cycles getting into it.
Also it might be more in need if it typically did numerous short trips e.g. To work without getting fully warmed up.

/\ Thumbs Up

Short runs are a killer.
Unburned fuel condenses on cold engines, drips into the oil, dilutes it and so reduces it's viscosity and lubricating properties. (Oil film is weakened.)
Best to run an engine to normal running temperature every time it is used.

That is why the myth that starting a stored engine every so often is 'a best practice' can be detrimental if not done properly.

If you feel the need, then start the hoowur and let it run at least 15 mins or until the fan comes on (if it has a fan).
That will let the battery top up the energy used to turn the engine over and burn-off volatiles.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 22 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh! If you can start it, get it MOT’d and ride it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. I have MOT scheduled next week. Will change the oil and filter as a precaution.

How frequently I change the air filter and spark plug? Or get a full service?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In UK conditions air filters rarely get choked there is more risk of them starting to break up than restrict air but they aren't expensive so changing with oil is not going to break the bank.
Plugs same story really on some bikes they are so hard to access I bet a lot aren't touched for years nothing bad is going to happen.

Inexperienced mechanics are good at messing up spark plug threads by cross threading or overtightening them and this goes for oil drains too ... Just saying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not change engine oil on a time-based schedule if the bike is dry stored. Brake fluid, yes but not engine oil. It's enclosed within the engine and won't contaminate by just sitting in the sump.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

With engine oil, Can I just buy any 10w40? Motul seems to have 4 different 10w40's at different prices.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine has been around forever - I'd bet it will be fine with just about anything fresh in it.

10w40 or 50 fully synthetic at a reasonable price - go.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
With engine oil, Can I just buy any 10w40? Motul seems to have 4 different 10w40's at different prices.

Synthetic oil maintains viscosity unlike non-synthetic.
Simplified: The viscosity is related to the molecular bonds of the oil. Heat and friction breaks or weakens that bond.

Also synthetic oils have additives too for numerous properties. And corrosion, wear protection and etc.

Synthetic probably cost twice as much as no synthetic.

If you can afford it, fill it with synthetic.

Belt and Braces effect.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a standard semi-synthetic in all of my bikes. My go to oil is Comma Eurolite it's not overpriced and works just fine. If you're looking for a definitive answer though, the person to ask on here is Weasley although I've not seen him for a while. He works in the industry and is very knowledgeable.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I use a standard semi-synthetic in all of my bikes. My go to oil is Comma Eurolite it's not overpriced and works just fine. If you're looking for a definitive answer though, the person to ask on here is Weasley although I've not seen him for a while. He works in the industry and is very knowledgeable.

I work in the industry too. Much further upstream though. Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I work in the industry too. Much further upstream though. Very Happy

With all due respect I wouldn't want your errr... product... anywhere near my delicate mechanisms Laughing You lack refinement, sir Wink

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I can do an oil change myself without stripping any threads Smile. Have done many oil and filter changes on my jaguar and audi.

With cars it has been easy to find the right oil, as I always buy castrol or shell and I get 1 recommended oil when I input my reg. With motorcycle it doesn't seem so straight forward. It gives me a lot of options and nothing specific to the reg. Hence the question.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the manual says what type of oil you need? Just make sure to get motorbike oil not stuff meant for cars as it has friction modifiers that can cause the clutch to slip. If it's Jaso MA2 standard then it's good for bikes.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

With cars it has been easy to find the right oil, as I always buy castrol or shell and I get 1 recommended oil when I input my reg.

If I input the registration of either of my cars into those Reg Checker things I'd get a grade that none of the independents that work on my vehicles would use.

Quote:
With motorcycle it doesn't seem so straight forward. It gives me a lot of options and nothing specific to the reg. Hence the question.

Presuming this is for your ER6 then honestly, any specific motorcycle oil in the 10w-40 or 10w-50 range will be absolutely fine. It won't be a fussy engine by any stretch. It's a utilitarian workhorse of a thing, not a high revving baws out sportsbike lump.

Just find a cheap enough deal and go with it. For example, I bought 2 x 5 Litre tubs of Total Quartz Racing 10w 50 for less than £50 delivered. That'll do you absolutely fine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I am sure I can do an oil change myself without stripping any threads Smile. Have done many oil and filter changes on my jaguar and audi.

With cars it has been easy to find the right oil, as I always buy castrol or shell and I get 1 recommended oil when I input my reg. With motorcycle it doesn't seem so straight forward. It gives me a lot of options and nothing specific to the reg. Hence the question.

Here is some free info and advice:

Caterpillar build Off Highway Trucks for Mass Excavation.
Years ago, Caterpillar made the unanimous decision to use Multi-Grade Engine Oil in Engine, Transmissions, Brakes, Final Drives and Differentials.
On a new series of Trucks. (777C)
Within months, we were regularly replacing Transmissions and Brake Modules. The brakes use multi-plate design, where the plates and discs are pressed together by hydraulic force to apply the brakes.
The Plates have rubber-ish friction coating the discs are a steel alloy.
The braking effect is not by friction between the 'friction' plates and the steel plates. The braking is effect is from shearing forces on the oil.
The shearing force creates heat. (Energy)
The heated oil (energy) is removed from the brake modules by the brake cooling pump and passed through an oil cooler. The heat (energy) is 'transferred' to the cooler.
Then the cooled oil is sent back to the brakes.
A continuous flow of oil is circulated around the brake modules-cooler system.
The transmissions use similar design in the clutch packs.
It was determined that the early hour failures were due to the additive package in the engine oil interfering with the coatings on the 'friction' plates. (Specifically Friction Modifiers.)
World wide, the fix was to stop using Engine Oil and only use a 30 weight Gear Oil in all transmissions and brakes. (Climate considerations applied.)

Car/Truck/Generator engine oils have additives in them to improve friction properties etc.

Motorcycle engine Oils do not have the same properties.

Many people will say they have used car engine oil for year without any issue.
That is OK if they like to do that.

The point is....

Its 4-5 Litres of fecking engine oil once/twice a year.
Just pour 'Motorcycle Engine oil' in.
If there isn't any concern then pour Chip Pan oil in. Very Happy

Motul is fine.

I only use OEM spec in my bikes and car.

Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40 4 lts, £62

Then the OEM (BMW) suddenly Changed Tack and recommended some other Brand. (Khunts)
No fecker knows why they changed brand loyalties, I suspect some High Heid Yins weren't getting weighed in enough.

(The Car gets the full synth too. Mobil or Castrol. That's the only oil that the garage use.)

I never had any issues either. Cool

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 25 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
...the person to ask on here is Weasley although I've not seen him for a while. He works in the industry and is very knowledgeable.

Oh, you...! Embarassed

dave001 wrote:
...what does your bike manule recoment 10W40 full SYNTHETIC semi or minural?

Manuals rarely recommend a base oil type (ie synthetic, semi-synthetic, mineral) - they usually specify a viscosity (or a range of viscosities dependent on use factors). Something like API SH and JASO MA or similar. Usually a viscosity and spec will tend to lead to a base oil type - in other words a 10W-40 oil will typicaly be semi-synthetic anyway, sometimes mineral, never (or very rarely) synthetic. A 0W-30 will tend to be synthetic as this is the best and easiest way to achieve that viscosity.

MCN wrote:
Synthetic oil maintains viscosity unlike non-synthetic.
Simplified: The viscosity is related to the molecular bonds of the oil. Heat and friction breaks or weakens that bond.

Sort of... not quite. Viscosity is down to the intra-molecular forces which is also related to the size and shape of the molecules. Synthetic base oils are generally more consistent and controllable in size and type. Mineral oils are a mix of various molecules of various shapes and sizes. This affects how the oils change viscosity with temperature (known as the "viscosity index"). A synthetic oil will change less with temperature, making them better when hot (because they don't get too thin) and better when cold (because they don't get too thick and stop moving).

MCN wrote:
Also synthetic oils have additives too for numerous properties. And corrosion, wear protection and etc.

All engine oil have additives in them - in fact a synthetic oil can often get away with lower levels of additive because the base oils are so much more stable and need less protection from oxidation.

MCN wrote:
Synthetic probably cost twice as much as no synthetic.

There's no real ratio - synthetic oils are more expensive to make and thus more expensive to sell, although the differential isn't always as big as you might think.

MCN wrote:
If you can afford it, fill it with synthetic.

Not always a good idea - some engines don't like synthetic oils and for 'regular' use in a run-of-the-mill engine a semi-synthetic would be perfectly good.
To answer the original question though, here's what I do. And I'll outline what Islander said about my experience - I have 31 years experience in lubricant R&D, deployment and training - this has included stints with marine engines, truck engines, car and bike engines and automotive transmissions. So, knowing what I know:

- if my vehicle is under warranty I'll follow the service schedule. My current bike is in this camp and I get it serviced with new oil at the time-based limit, even though it is under the mileage.

- if my vehicle is not under warranty and I am not worried about its resale, I'll change the oil on a much more flexible schedule. I certainly won't do it after 2,000 miles unless those miles have been particularly hard (track use, dust/sand environment, lots of short trips etc). I'll probably do it at 50-100% of the recommended oil change interval (ie if it is 8,000 miles I'll do it from 4,000 to 8,000 depending on factors). As said up-thread, oil doesn't deteriorate when it stands (well, it can but very slowly - this is why a barn-find engine may often reveal a sump full of goop as the oil has slowly stewed over decades).

Castrol do a vehicle lookup which includes motorcycles (use the "Vehicle Search" option).

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 25 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA oils I don't think are the ultimate argument for motorcycle use.

I have and have had motorcycles that have still slipped on MA spec oil. Using standard mineral 'car' motor oil has rectified these issues.

I think one also has to take into account the quality of the friction plates, both in manufacture and wear/usage, but also spring force. As these could be the main problem in the end anyway and the oil is just a red herring or a symptom fixer (as it may well have been with me and my experiences).

EDIT:

Sorry weasley. A question I posed myself due to my relatively large collection of vehicles was at what point do I change my oil? If the vehicle is used intermittently over a period of say 5 years to acheive the 5,000 mile interval change, would you change at the the mileage interval and ignore time, so long as the vehicle IS being used - but intermittently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 25 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Sorry weasley. A question I posed myself due to my relatively large collection of vehicles was at what point do I change my oil? If the vehicle is used intermittently over a period of say 5 years to acheive the 5,000 mile interval change, would you change at the the mileage interval and ignore time, so long as the vehicle IS being used - but intermittently?

If it was my collection and I was not bothered about maintaining a perfect paper trail to keep values up then I'd do pretty much what you say. As I said, it would depend somewhat on how those miles are racked up.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2