Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Police drone teams

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:27 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Police drone teams Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/PoliceDrones/status/1644604707107733506?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1644604707107733506%7Ctwgr%5Ea78f69b36562e3d289636a4dc8c6bb2834ee8e75%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorcyclenews.com%2Fnews%2Fpolice-drones%2F

Police in Cornwall have been using drones to catch irresponsible riders and have released the above clips from their successful “deployment”.

I have no idea what gathering those clips cost in terms of equipment and officer time but if those clips are the justification for it I would suggest the money could be better spent elsewhere.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Po-Po Scotland are aye oot playing with their drones. Its the size of a fecking quad too.

And they think naught of scrambling a chopper anytime too.

£20k / flight. Shocked

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That man crossed a solid white line for a few meters! And one of them cut a corner a bit! Hangings too good for 'em.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only one that thinks clips 02 and 03 were totally OK???

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I can't be the only one that thinks clips 02 and 03 were totally OK???

You can't really see the sight lines from the drone to know if they were able to see properly or going over a blind crest in some of the clips. But yeah, most of them look fine to me.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these clips are published it only reinforces the general public's thoughts that motor bikers are lawless and dangerous.

But most of those clips were Sunday Nobbers.
Overtakes at junctions are always suicide and the guy cutting the blind bend when two-up needs a logic check.

Normally, double whites are painted at hazardous road layouts.

Not every road anomaly can be easily engineered out, so signs at installed and lines are painted to help road users.
Double whites are very rarely there just for show not just to fuk up a ride out.

Bikers should be vigilant when the council give them a heads up.

MercurialWarc...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:23 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not the best examples of safe overtaking procedure, but can't say that I think these were especially egregious.

I suppose The Force needs to justify the cost and use of their shiny new toy somehow though, but going after (presumably) roadworthy, taxed and insured bikes like this will only exacerbate negative feelings.

At least round my way They're using them in a slightly less offensive way: Northumberland: Drones used to snare nuisance rural riders
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Twitter message just says they successfully "deployed" the drones, i.e. turned them on and aimed the cameras. It doesn't say or imply that anyone was doing anything wrong, or that they were prosecuted. Only that they successfully operated ("deployed") at least one drone.

Quote:
If you or a loved one are heading out on the roads this gorgeous Easter weekend please think about how you ride/drive. We’ve got proactive
@DC_RPT
officers out across the force & we’re with them.
Here’s some clips from yesterday’s successful deployment

Tbh there's nothing special in any of that riding - just weekend warriors making progress when the road is clear. There was one instance of crossing a solid white line, but that's all.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:52 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one was a bit previous crossing a solid line a few meters before the start of the broken section and one was a bit tight coming up to a bend but I can’t see any issue with the others… and those were hardly bad.

One thing you can’t see from a drone is the road gradient. What might look fine from above might be unsafe coming up to the brow of a slight rise, tho I’d expect solid white lines on the approach in that case.

Seems to me like they are looking for justification for their expensive kit and struggling to find it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't me! (Strictly car travel on my last trips to Cornwall.)

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 24 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fucking pathetic waste of tax payers money.

You get your house broken into or your car/bike nicked
and the useless aresoles are nowhere to be seen.
( unless you hurt to someones feelings that is, then they come round
by the van load)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 25 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
What a fucking pathetic waste of tax payers money.

You get your house broken into or your car/bike nicked
and the useless aresoles are nowhere to be seen.
( unless you hurt to someones feelings that is, then they come round
by the van load)

Get a gun licence.
Get a shotgun.
Let off a few rounds at the back of the house.

They will come. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 25 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killed by a burglar your body might be discovered by police in 3 weeks.

Kill a burglar and your collar might be felt by police in 3 minutes.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 25 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Exactly right.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 26 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Have you seen the stats on "police response time by perpetrator type" and you're making a point? Or are you literally just listing things that could possibly happen?

Like "Killed by a burglar and your body might be found with comedy eyebrows added." Or "Kill a burglar and you might hollow out the corpse to make a rudimentary canoe"?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation of the receding of the high trust society along with the government asking for "moon on a stick" numbers from the police without an increase in resources (worse, a reduction in training.) Catching burglars is hard work and shows very little return on investment for superintendents; better to chase those voluntarily boosting the stats - honest ppl - and low hanging fruit - egregious meme writers Wink

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 04:57 - 27 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just an observation of the receding of the high trust society along with the government asking for "moon on a stick" numbers from the police without an increase in resources (worse, a reduction in training.) Catching burglars is hard work and shows very little return on investment for superintendents; better to chase those voluntarily boosting the stats - honest ppl - and low hanging fruit - egregious meme writers Wink

Exactly. I wonder how many cyclists and bikers are killed or injured each year because of the condition of the roads that we apparently cannot afford to repair yet the money is available to fund police drone teams and for the police to fit average speed cameras.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 27 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Tbh there's nothing special in any of that riding - just weekend warriors making progress when the road is clear. There was one instance of crossing a solid white line, but that's all.

Yep - just one white line violation... by the bike AND the car behind it (who wasn't even overtaking). That's the only issue I saw.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1