Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bench grinders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Bench grinders Reply with quote

We are doing a large amount out of work on the house and my cold chisels keep getting blunted in the process.

My dad has a bench grinder which I sharpen them on but he lives 30miles away so it’s a pain.

Thinking about getting a cheap bench grinder, but it’s 150w, would that be powerful enough?

No idea what power my dads is, no markings and if I ask I’ll get a load of “just use mine” which doesn’t help.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:24 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get hung up on numbers with stuff like this. I honestly can't see a 150w bench grinder being bad at sharpening tools. I got a free bench grinder from my Dad, and it's an ancient Clarke one. It sharpened my mates shears up like a razor blade, so meh. The key to a bench grinder is that a) it bolts to a bench making repeatability and bracing easier and b) it grinds stuff. Everything else is a bonus. If you're interested, I just went to the garage to check, and it's 200W and if anything it's a bit too much for the stuff I use it for, so 150w will be absolutely fine I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little 150w bench grinder will sharpen your chisels but there are 2 other things to consider:

1, It will blunt pretty quickly, so buy a dressing tool.
2, Chisels when sharpened will lose their temper is you let the chisel edge go blue even once, so don't grind that chisel edge at too shallow an angle (60 degrees or more is OK) and dip it in water often.

If you don't follow 1, nothing will stop that chisel edge going soft.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:48 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bench grinder, then realised I should have bought a belt grinder.

I would sharpen a cold chisel with a file. Don't forget to dress the top too if it's looking like a badly hammered fencepost top so you don't learn about spalling the hard way.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marjay, the next step is 400w and double the cost so I’ll give the 150w a try.

Pete, does that apply to cold chisels or just woodwork chisels? Only taking cold here, I sharpen woodwork ones on a whetstone.

Stinkwheel, fortunately my chisels haven’t got to that point yet, good tip though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:50 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still hardened steel. Once hardened, the hotter the temper temperature, the softer the steel lands up. For tool steel, it'll be tempered at temperatures you'd bake a cake at. Get it hotter than that and you'll be making the steel softer.

I'm shit at metalwork and an engineer once told me that power tools don't do a job better, only faster. Hence why I use files a lot, then I can spot when I'm making a cock and balls of it before it gets unsaveable. Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 'cold' chisels for years and anytime I tried to use a file to repair the edge it's been a time consuming phaph.

A big grinder with a quenching pot near it works perfectly. And the edge lasts as long as it did when new.

Once you have ground down a few mm though you will be into different material properties.

I can re harden and temper a chisel though. Cool

As Stinkers said, grind off your mushrooms too.

And buy good chisels. You cannot make a sow's ear from a silk purse.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Thanks Marjay, the next step is 400w and double the cost so I’ll give the 150w a try.

Pete, does that apply to cold chisels or just woodwork chisels? Only taking cold here, I sharpen woodwork ones on a whetstone.

Stinkwheel, fortunately my chisels haven’t got to that point yet, good tip though.

Cold chisel is named for 'cold cutting' so as above it's still hardened and tempered.

If you want to re-harden a chisel heat the tip with a blowtorch until it's hot enough so a mgnet won't stick to it then swish it around in a bucket of water right away, or even better, oil if you have it. Now get some emery and clean the faces shiny, then either put it in the oven at about 230degC or heat the shaft and watch the colour travel down to the tip. When the tip gets to straw colour stop the temper in water again. Don't let it get past golden-yellow.

It's easier to do than it sounds TBH and if you mess it up you'll know right away. If it's still soft you didn't harden it enough and if the tip breaks off you didn't temper it enough.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:18 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't said what the chisels are being used for. Is it woodwork, or is it levering tiles off the wall?

If it's the latter, a battery SDS drill with a chisel attachment makes it much easier. Then when all the decorating is done and you're fixing things to the wall, you can drill holes without making as much mess as a hammer drill.

It's another of those tools that I don't need, but I'm very glad I have.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardening and tempering:

Heat in a hearth or with a blow torch until the top of the chisel is 'cherry-red'.

Cool it immediately in cold water. Cooling in oil will make a ton of thick smoke and might result in a bit of fire. Cool

Clean off the blackened surface using emery cloth, wet and dry, sand paper etc. to a shiny finish. Heat the chisel again with a blow torch and watch the shiny surface change colour as the metal reaches each tempering stage.
It's a bit like a rainbow (but not ghey).

The heat creeps along the metal so it is easier to heat the shaft and watch the colour move up to the tip.
If you heat it up too quick you risk missing the temperature range and the tempering will not be correct.

For a cold chisel you want the tip to be at the straw colour.
Then dip in the water again to stop the tempering process.

You can phaph about with the sand paper to clean up, heat the whole thing up for a bit then drop it in oil. That will give the surface a burned oil finish which helps prevent corrosion for a while.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You haven't said what the chisels are being used for. Is it woodwork, or is it levering tiles off the wall?

If it's the latter, a battery SDS drill with a chisel attachment makes it much easier. Then when all the decorating is done and you're fixing things to the wall, you can drill holes without making as much mess as a hammer drill.

It's another of those tools that I don't need, but I'm very glad I have.

SSD is the berries. Best thing Jerry invented.

(SSD refers to the bit retention system.)

But SSD drills go through stuff like hot knives through butter.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

SDS are pretty damn good too :p

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a rotary grinder to sharpen cold chisels. don't get them too hot or you'll fcuk up the heat treatment.

I have a cheap and nasty wet grindstone that does way better than my bench grinder.

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30131.jpg

£60 from toolstation. Nothing special but way more versatile than a bog standard bench grinder.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
MCN wrote:

SDS are pretty damn good too :p

Sorry, I don't sprakenzeedoitch.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently removing pebble dash from my walls to get them back to brick to get it rendered, otherwise smashing through bricks to make holes for pipes etc.

Got a bit of a point with a file but not had a chance to use it in anger yet, got to be better than a rounded tip.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1