Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Possible Tank Corrosion.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:56 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Possible Tank Corrosion. Reply with quote

I have some patches of small white dots on my galvanised tank. Barely noticeable but do not wipe off. It had been treated with ACF in the winter. I've wiped it over with gt85 for now. Is this a typical sign of tank corrosion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

White dots might be salt from the cooncil's winter roads.

It may also be some oxidation of the zinc used in the galvanisation.

Salt will dissolve when washed with water/soap and water.

Metal Oxides maybe not as simple.

Where is the galvanised tank used?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:23 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical is tricky word to use, when galvanised tanks are unusual. I'm assuming this is galvanised on the outside, not painted.

It is likely to be corrosion - zinc oxide is white - but it's also a sign of the galvanising doing it's job, and letting the zinc oxidise instead of the steel.

Petrol tank corrosion usually happens from the inside, when water has been sitting at the bottom of the tank for years and gently rusting it away. The first sign is a bit of rust bubbling on the outside of the lowest point, at which point the steel is incredibly thin and you really need to repair or replace.

Realistically, only something to even consider if the bike is over 20 years old and has spent a long time sitting outside or in a damp shed.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:41 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
White dots might be salt from the cooncil's winter roads.

Where is the galvanised tank used?

Newport, Cardiff and environs.

It is also kept outside - I dont think the Oxford cover handled the winter very well. Need a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:47 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Typical is tricky word to use, when galvanised tanks are unusual. I'm assuming this is galvanised on the outside, not painted.

It is likely to be corrosion - zinc oxide is white - but it's also a sign of the galvanising doing it's job, and letting the zinc oxidise instead of the steel.

Petrol tank corrosion usually happens from the inside, when water has been sitting at the bottom of the tank for years and gently rusting it away. The first sign is a bit of rust bubbling on the outside of the lowest point, at which point the steel is incredibly thin and you really need to repair or replace.

Realistically, only something to even consider if the bike is over 20 years old and has spent a long time sitting outside or in a damp shed.

The bike is a little over a year old so not concerned about corrosion down there but I wouldn't be surprised if there is water in the bottom of the tank. I do get power loss when fuel gets low. Noticeable on a 125!

The manufacturers website states, " Pressed from galvanised steel, tank rust is a thing of the past. " I'm not sure if that refers to the outside or the inside (likely both?)

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:19 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I'm assuming it's a galvanised steel tank, then painted on the outside. Where are you seeing the corrosion? Inside or outside, painted or unpainted?

Galvanised steel will resist rust for a long time, so in this case the manufacturer may be accurate is saying that tank rust is a thing of the past. The rest of the bike will have dissolved long before then.

It still can rust, but it needs to eat away the galvanising first.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galvanized finishes (Zinc Plating) have a mechanical property of being 'self healing' If scratched, the zinc creeps into the scratch to maintain protection.

And the thickness of coating counts too.

Zinc can be applied by dipping in molten zinc or electro-plating Cathode-Anode method. Big things are normally dipped.

Tin Sheeting, (Corrugated Iron). Fencing, Lots of Agricultural equipment.
Nails, Bolts, Screws, Washers, Conduit. endless list.

Boats, Barges, Engines use the similar properties to ward of corrosion in a marine environment. Sacrificial Anodes are placed strategically. The anodes 'melt' rather than the structure. Replaced at intervals or as required.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
In that case I'm assuming it's a galvanised steel tank, then painted on the outside. Where are you seeing the corrosion? Inside or outside, painted or unpainted?

Galvanised steel will resist rust for a long time, so in this case the manufacturer may be accurate is saying that tank rust is a thing of the past. The rest of the bike will have dissolved long before then.

On the painted exterior as you look down at it from seated position. Barely noticeable so not a huge concern at this point.

2 clusters of small white 'barnacle-like' ring-spots.

Maybe a winter of expansion/contraction thinned the paint at certain points.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Robby wrote:

On the painted exterior as you look down at it from seated position. Barely noticeable so not a huge concern at this point.

2 clusters of small white 'barnacle-like' ring-spots.

Maybe a winter of expansion/contraction thinned the paint at certain points.

T-Cut it clean then apply a ceramic finish.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Zinc can be applied by dipping in molten zinc or electro-plating Cathode-Anode method. Big things are normally dipped.

On some of the car restoration YouTube channels I follow they put the chassis on a dolly and have some sort of spray on system for zinc. I can't say I completely understand it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
MCN wrote:

On some of the car restoration YouTube channels I follow they put the chassis on a dolly and have some sort of spray on system for zinc. I can't say I completely understand it.

Primers use zinc oxide in the recipe. It has a similar purpose to lead oxide in primer paints.
(But you are not even allowed to make a post with lead oxide in it now-a-days, as it causes severe and irreversible brain damage.)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1