Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insured for other bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Insured for other bikes Reply with quote

My bike insurance covers me to ride other people's bikes with their permission.
I'm hopefully buying a 2nd hand bike privately in a few days and to cover the insurance of riding home, I'm thinking of dating the sale paperwork for the following day. That way I won't own the bike until after I get home and so the insurance will be valid.
Obviously I'll make sure the seller is happy to do this, and for legal requirements I'll just be 'testing' the bike out on the way home.

See any issues with this?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Insured for other bikes Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
See any issues with this?

Just bear in mind that because of 'continuous insurance' rules, a vehicle needs to be insured if it's being kept or driven on the road ... is the previous keeper's insurance still in place?

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above, your relying on the previous keeper keeping their policy valid, for you, once you leave, which they surely wont do, they will cancel it the minute you ride away

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
as above, your relying on the previous keeper keeping their policy valid, for you, once you leave, which they surely wont do, they will cancel it the minute you ride away

They may not do if you ask nicely. I don't think they necessarily have anything to gain or lose by doing it the day after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:29 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real plan is to see how many speeding tickets and parking tickets you can get whilst it's still registered to the previous owners?

When do you intend on insuring it?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The real plan is to see how many speeding tickets and parking tickets you can get whilst it's still registered to the previous owners?

When do you intend on insuring it?
Laughing Laughing

The insurance runs out on my bike at the end of the month, and I want to sell my bike. So rather than faff around making changes (especially if I get charged for changes), I'll store the new bike until the end of the month, cancel the insurance renewal and then take out new insurance on my new bike only.

Good point about the new bike being currently insured though, I don't think it is as it's currently SORN which rules out me being able to do this anyway.
(BTW I'd get it taxed online before riding it away). Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

Assuming their policy even allows the insurance to transfer over if you sell it... Chances are it's null and void as soon as ownership changes.

Don't forget you need to tax it as well as that's definitely void as soon as the keys are handed over.

Ste wrote:

This is exactly why I always have a bill of sale for both people. Rack up all the tickets you want mate, I have proof you bought it and took it away before you went through those cameras Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

This is exactly why I always have a bill of sale for both people. Rack up all the tickets you want mate, I have proof you bought it and took it away before you went through those cameras Very Happy

I wouldn't even consider keeping an insurance in place to cover someone buying my bike. You have a crash on the way home and it could open a whole new realm of shite for the seller. Why would anyone take the risk?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I wouldn't even consider keeping an insurance in place to cover someone buying my bike. You have a crash on the way home and it could open a whole new realm of shite for the seller. Why would anyone take the risk?

My thinking is it's not actually 'your' insurance that's covering though, it's just the requirement of my own insurance that 'you' have a policy in place.
If any accidents were to happen it would go through my insurance, and as in just about all cases to do with covering me to ride someone else's bike, it would only be 3rd party.

Happy to be proved wrong on that Thumbs Up

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Insured for other bikes Reply with quote

V5 isn't proof of ownership according to the DVLA so just waiting until the next day to fill it out doesn't mean you don't own the bike, so I doubt if the insurance would actually be valid.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Yup. They crash it on the way home and don't have insurance, insurers will come after your policy instead for any 3rd party damages or injury. Any sane person would cancel it as soon as they've sold it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

My thinking is it's not actually 'your' insurance that's covering though, it's just the requirement of my own insurance that 'you' have a policy in place.
If any accidents were to happen it would go through my insurance, and as in just about all cases to do with covering me to ride someone else's bike, it would only be 3rd party.

Yebbut I think where PB is coming from is that if you crashed, and anything goes wrong with the theory that you had your own third-party cover, then legally the seller's insurer would be on the hook for it; and given that the seller would have broken the T&Cs of his insurance policy by not cancelling it the moment he sold his bike, then the insurer would then be coming after the seller personally for restitution. You probably wouldn't crash on the way home, and if you did, your own insurace would probably cover you... but as the man said - as the seller, why would you take that risk?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fair enough, totally get that.

At the end of the day I won't be doing it this way anyway as I don't believe the seller currently has the bike insured.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the seller doesn't cancel their insurance straight away, they are open to whole world of pain

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/10/i-sold-my-bike-but-didnt-cancel-my-insurance/

I'm sure there was a news story a few years back where this exact same thing happened, and the guy who bought the bike rode into a bus stop full of people or something similar, and the guy who sold was liable for the lot, as he was still the holder of the policy, and he knowingly let someone ride his bike away who was not insured

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would not ride home on my insurance.

Are you prepared to pay the loading on any other vehicle insurance premiums I need?

I didn't think so.

Ultimate Creation of a problem that doesn't need to exist.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what bike are you buying?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MercurialWarc...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:00 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Insured for other bikes Reply with quote

Aye, my views pretty much match those already posted above.

Feasty wrote:
I'm thinking of dating the sale paperwork for the following day. That way I won't own the bike until after I get home...

Surely you own the bike from the point when money changes hands - the V5 is not proof of ownership, and a seller who provides a receipt/bill of sale surely wouldn't agree to post-dating that, otherwise what would be the point of one?

Personally, if I were a seller of a vehicle in such circumstances, I wouldn't agree to it.

But anecdotally, when I picked up my Honda a few years ago (private sale), the chap said he'd keep his insurance active until I got home. I had bought my own policy the day before for me and the new bike, meaning He didn't need to do so, but I remember thinking at the time that although it was a kind and generous thing to do, it was also pretty bloody dumb - what if I crashed into a bus full of nuns and/or quadraspazzed myself? It'd all be on his head, as per the White Dalton link above.

I also fail to see why you can't just buy a new policy in your name for this new bike - if you're going to sell your current bike, cancel that insurance renewal and then take out new insurance on the new bike anyway?

You are allowed to have multiple policies on different vehicles with different insurers, as far as I understand...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Insured for other bikes Reply with quote

MercurialWarchief wrote:
You are allowed to have multiple policies on different vehicles with different insurers, as far as I understand...

You cannot.

One policy will 'effectively' cancel any other/s.

You can pay for more than one premium but you cannot claim on more than one.

For other types of risk, maritime, property risk can be shared if underwriters agree.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
so what bike are you buying?

I'm buying a TDM 900, to replace my Fazer 600.
I love the Fazer but I'm a big 6'2 bloke and just find myself too cramped on this. After an hours ride my hip and knees start complaining! Crying or Very sad

Looking forwards to a more comfy ride for sure.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

The insurance runs out on my bike at the end of the month, and I want to sell my bike. So rather than faff around making changes (especially if I get charged for changes), I'll store the new bike until the end of the month, cancel the insurance renewal and then take out new insurance on my new bike only.

This has been my situation for the last couple of bikes I bought. And for both of them (one private, one dealer) I paid a deposit and asked if they could hang on to it until the end of the month and I'd pick it up then - both were fine with that.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I'm buying a TDM 900, to replace my Fazer 600.

Nice! Always wanted a TDM. Yamaha were pioneers when they designed this bike about 20 years ahead of the trend. Awesome. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the bike!

MercurialWarchief wrote:
I also fail to see why you can't just buy a new policy in your name for this new bike - if you're going to sell your current bike, cancel that insurance renewal and then take out new insurance on the new bike anyway?

Maybe because he wants to earn his NCD for that year? The insurer won't let you level up unless you see the policy through a full 12 months. Also when you cancel a policy you don't get refunded for the days you haven't used pro-rata, you get more penalised on your refund the later into the policy you cancel it. So you get better value for money just letting the policy run to the end. If he's only got a month left on the policy they probably wouldn't refund anything and would ask for a stupid amount for a mid-term change of bike as they always pull your pants down on mid-term adjustments.

I can see the logic in leaving the current policy run and it's something I have done myself.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned temporary insurance cover. I think unless you're a whippersnapper or looking to cover a Hayabusa or a £50k Goldwing it's reasonable money for a day's cover?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once bought a GS550 from someone and tried to ride to London town the following day on the assumption that my insurance worked because his still did. I broke down half-way (Leicester Forest East), and after a somewhat futile argument between all parties ended up with a fine and six points.

Two things to note:

1. Don't try to outsmart the system.

2. Don't buy a GS550 without running it with the lights on and sniffing for burning...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:35 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never just taken my plate off and attached to a bike I picked up...

I've had many instances of bikes with 2 policies on them, with the same insurance provider, you can't claim on both though, that's fraud. Couldn't add a named rider on L plates and bike was shared, so both running a policy was the only way and accepted by the insurer.

In your situ tho, just insure it and cancel next day. 'it didnt suit me' - I used one call insurance for mine as there was no admin fee before 14 days bar the 1 day cover I used.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, and yes I've ridden the TDM once and love it! It's got a power commander, not something I've ever used before so something to learn all about - but that's for another topic.

I ended up taking out a 1 day insurance policy for £35, then when I got home and was sure the bike was all good I was able to do an early renewal on my current insurance to include both bikes. At least that way my NCB keeps going and I can ride both whilst I'm selling my Fazer.
Then when sold, I'll remove the Fazer from the policy, which means they'll kick me in the balls with an admin fee and limited reduction for just having the one bike - but hey, I'll remember this when it comes to renewal next year and go elsewhere.

Oh and if I hadn't already made the decision to leave them, I got a quote last week for the early renewal. Then when it came to taking it out yesterday suddenly it was almost £40 more! Thanks Bikesure... Evil or Very Mad

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boy was with Bennetts last year around £500

Renewal for this year £950 and he's got one more NCD and not had any accidents or claims or points.

Work that one out!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2