Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why I don't trust The Cloud

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Why I don't trust The Cloud Reply with quote

https://techcrunch.com/2023/04/13/hackers-claim-vast-access-to-western-digital-systems/

Western Digital hacked

The company has shut down all profile access and e-sales until later this month.

I have nothing uploaded to online storage, precisely for this reason.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:04 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean... have stuff uploaded to cloud storage, just not stuff that is personal, compromising, financial or what have you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:57 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working in the industry for a good few years. Until now, I didn't even know that western digital had a cloud offering.

In general, a cloud provider is much better at securing your data than you are, and far better at preventing data loss from a knackered hard drive. The problem is that when they fundamentally fuck up, an awful lot of people are affected.

If you don't trust their security but want a backup, just encrypt your files before uploading them. You can do it easily and for free with 7-zip.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I've been working in the industry for a good few years. Until now, I didn't even know that western digital had a cloud offering.

It was quite a big thing a few years ago to offer cloud storage: buy space from AWS/Azure/Google, add branding, profit! All the main providers are making their storage more accessible these days - for example I could set up a drive letter pointing to an Azure storage blob - making all the 2nd tier offerings redundant.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD security has always been a bit.. lacking. Their consumer stuff has had multiple vulnerabilities over the last few years…

https://www.techradar.com/news/wd-my-cloud-nas-boxes-found-to-be-vulnerable-to-online-hacks

Cloud storage from a competent supplier will be massively more secure than what a typical person at home could provide. Just make sure you chose a service with encryption at rest, ideally with a customer managed key that only you have.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it amusing they sent emails out saying beware of emails from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

if i wanted something encrypted. i would not be doing it with 7-zip. lol

then again, it depends who you want not to be able to decrypt it Wink

It's AES-256. No one is cracking the crypt, although they may bruteforce the password.

I know about this stuff. You've repeatedly proven yourself to know fuck all.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beef with cloud is also a network access issue.
I don't always have Internet for weeks at a time.
So manage with sticks and ssd drives.
Sandisc had some apps on one of the sticks that could crash through the work's security system and break out into the www. Freedom. The work blocked all social media and personal email. So it was a nightmare skyping home from brasil. Bastirts...
But the sandisc stick worked.
I don't know how.
We also had a guy wrote software to thwart the Great Wall of China. Not for sale, I gave sticks to his Chinese pals.
We do no know we are living in the west.

I will revisit my cloud aversion. Lots of good info here.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Sandisc had some apps on one of the sticks that could crash through the work's security system and break out into the www. Freedom. The work blocked all social media and personal email. So it was a nightmare skyping home from brasil. Bastirts...
I don't know how.
We also had a guy wrote software to thwart the Great Wall of China. Not for sale, I gave sticks to his Chinese pals.

If you use something like google drive or OneDrive you can just set it to download to your PC so it's always there when you need it and you get the benefits of the cloud.

Dont really use cloud storage myself apart from for a fuckton of family photos I spent days scanning and really don't want to loose. I've had a couple of hard drives just stop working the last few years so I really don't trust backing it up myself.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
MCN wrote:
I don't know how.

If you use something like google drive or OneDrive you can just set it to download to your PC so it's always there when you need it and you get the benefits of the cloud.

Dont really use cloud storage myself apart from for a fuckton of family photos I spent days scanning and really don't want to loose. I've had a couple of hard drives just stop working the last few years so I really don't trust backing it up myself.

I got a new laptop (notebook) Feb this year.
I noticed it auto saves to One Drive. Thinking

I haven't been too interested to investigate what One Drive is a Usually opening up a topic in Microsoft or HP opens a Pandora box of rabbit holes.
I save to the pc Harddrive though.
Even though there'd anti spy ware, anti pirate ware, and the rest of it, So ma Laughing ny outside sources, who know much more about PC security, its daunting. Encryption is the only way.
Then the password to open the password manager. Rolling Eyes

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
i mostyly use veracrypt for the whole system, including main boot drive and a a fake OS for plausible deniability

Tell me you're in to some dodgy, nasty, properly illegal stuff without telling me you're in to some dodgy, nasty, properly illegal stuff.

Last edited by CaNsA on 23:06 - 06 May 2023; edited 1 time in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onedrive is data storage in the cloud. Typically it backs up a folder on your machine, like "my documents", into the microsoft cloud. It keeps the cloud version current with your local version when you're online.

Your password manager likely also backs up in the cloud too, if you're using the default google or microsoft one, or something like lastpass or 1password. If you are, it's important to have a strong, and most importantly unique, password for that account. If it's all hanging off your google account, and your google account password is kittens, you're wide open.

So there's two pretty fundamental ways you may already be storing important data in the cloud without noticing.

Finally, the app on your memory stick is probably a virtual private network, or VPN. It creates a nice encrypted pipe between your computer and an endpoint somewhere far away on the internet. Your company can't block websites, because they can't look inside the pipe. They could (and should) block VPNs though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:48 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Onedrive is data storage in the cloud. Typically it backs up a folder on your machine, like "my documents", into the microsoft cloud. It keeps the cloud version current with your local version when you're online.

Your password manager likely also backs up in the cloud too, if you're using the default google or microsoft one, or something like lastpass or 1password. If you are, it's important to have a strong, and most importantly unique, password for that account. If it's all hanging off your google account, and your google account password is kittens, you're wide open.

So there's two pretty fundamental ways you may already be storing important data in the cloud without noticing.

Finally, the app on your memory stick is probably a virtual private network, or VPN. It creates a nice encrypted pipe between your computer and an endpoint somewhere far away on the internet. Your company can't block websites, because they can't look inside the pipe. They could (and should) block VPNs though.

My master password is easy for me to remember.

Ste.4.admin.at.bcf.001

Laughing

Without noticing....

That's exactly what I realised as I was using the fking new pc.

I will need to find out what is where and grapple it out of where ever.

I work regularly 100s of miles off grid, the rest of the working world work not more than a few 100yds from a cell tower.
So cloud storage may be OK.

Plus a lot of folk either don't give it a moment's thought or don't have anything sensitive/sensible to manage in the cloud.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stock advice then for people who don't want to learn all this shit, and just want it to work.

Use a password manager. Let the password manager create and store your passwords. This means you never re-use a password.*

Have a strong password for your password manager, and for your microsoft and/or google accounts. They may also be doing password manager stuff for you, or even storing the master password for your other password manager. It's hard to avoid doing this.

Your 3 master passwords (password manager, google, microsoft) do not need to be impossible to remember. You're avoiding them being easily brute forced, or guessed by someone that knows you. The attacker probably only has a handful of attempts before lockout anyway. So don't go locking yourself out of your own accounts over a password you can't remember. It's also OK to write it down and keep that piece of paper somewhere safe - no-one is breaking into your house to find your password.

*re-use the biggest problem. If your google account is the same as your BCF password, and someone extracts that password from BCF, they have your google password.

Apart from that, leave auto-update turned on for everything.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you trust a password manager not to send your passwords "back home"?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
WD security has always been a bit.. lacking. Their consumer stuff has had multiple vulnerabilities over the last few years…

https://www.techradar.com/news/wd-my-cloud-nas-boxes-found-to-be-vulnerable-to-online-hacks

Cloud storage from a competent supplier will be massively more secure than what a typical person at home could provide. Just make sure you chose a service with encryption at rest, ideally with a customer managed key that only you have.

Your post has just put the nail in the coffin for our WD NAS. I am literally now tapping out an e-mail to our IT support asking them to temporarily allow our router to be used as a fileserver until we set up and migrate to sharepoint.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Back home meaning giving them to someone else?

Because their core business relies on trust. If they got caught even once providing passwords to others, that trust would evaporate. It's also the kind of thing that security researchers try to catch them out with all the time.

You might as well ask why I would use a bank when they could just steal my money, or why would I have an electrical grid connection when they could send 2000v down it and fry everything in my house. I choose a reputable provider for things that matter.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:14 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazed peope use those "hosted" NAS devices like my cloud... its made by engineers to put a fluffy front end on for Doris at home, security may have been involved at one point, but you can bet your arse after v1.0, they didn't get another look in Laughing

I don't have a cloud based pw manager, only because I've always used KeePass and whilst some of my passwords are for things that no longer exist, its been in use by me for 11 years.

I don't like change and I don't like trusting someone else with my stuff, but its a see-saw for me, as Robby says, the bank has my money, I trust they won't fuck it up... but thats a requirement for me to live, have some form of credit, a way to pay all my bills.

Passwords, meh, for the important stuff its not just me that holds the password. Non-important stuff, I can work around that later on.

And again, with the trust thing as Robby mentioned, most nerds are looking for this naughty naughty, like Eufy... I know a lot of people used them, I know a lot have now removed them.

https://www.cnet.com/home/security/eufy-cameras-caught-sending-local-only-data-to-cloud-servers/

Trust is a big thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:14 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a lot of knee jerk hysteria, which is what started this thread. Western digital had a hack, therefore all of cloud is bad.

That's the equivalent of VW doing a recall, so no more cars for anyone.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
I would never use a cloud server for anything i cared about.

eather it on my server encrypted or it will be on my own off line storage.

most dont take privacy or security serously

Utter tosh.

The big players take it very seriously indeed and are far better at it than you'll ever be.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
Robby wrote:

In general, a cloud provider is much better at securing your data than you are, and far better at preventing data loss from a knackered hard drive. The problem is that when they fundamentally fuck up, an awful lot of people are affected.

If you don't trust their security but want a backup, just encrypt your files before uploading them. You can do it easily and for free with 7-zip.

if i wanted something encrypted. i would not be doing it with 7-zip. lol

then again, it depends who you want not to be able to decrypt it Wink

i mostyly use veracrypt for the whole system, including main boot drive and a a fake OS for plausible deniability

You do realise that 7Zip uses AES256 which is considered to be strong encryption don't you?

On the other hand you clearly don't understand that much about it.

I'd also be asking why you're using an encryption method designed for people living in very oppressive regimes. It's overkill at best and unless you use both the main OS and the hidden OS to the same extent very easy to prove statistically.

Plausible deniability? When the authorities come after you for passwords you're going to be in a tight spot. A simple court order and it's serious jail time for a refusal.

Numpty.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Given the recent Lastpass debacle, I'm recommending the use of personally hosted password manager databases. Passwords are the one thing I really wouldn't put in cloud storage - keys to the kingdom and all that.

KeepassXC is the way to go IMO. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Use an open source password manager with independently audited code and you'll be fine. KeepassXC comes to mind...
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2