Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Never place your helmet upside down on a hard surface...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Never place your helmet upside down on a hard surface... Reply with quote

"... and don't use it to carry things in"

...and other sage titbits of nonsense groupthink pseudo-wisdom from know-alls who are parroting what they heard from other know-alls.

You really think a helmet designed to save your brain from impact with a wall at high speed is going to degrade into nothingness because you put your keys and gloves in it and place it upside down on a table?

Really? What next? Buy new boots every time you walk on a pointy stone?

Who invented this lie and why does it perpetuate? I first heard it about ten years ago, and again a few days ago. It baffled me as much then as it does now, and the know-all tone of the person telling me each time really grated me the wrong way. Care to spoon feed me and wipe my arse while you're at it with this level of infantilising?

Google brings up nothing on such helmet wisdom so it seems to be word of mouth only. Anyone else heard of this or encountered one of the know-alls? Or perhaps you are one of the know-alls? Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:45 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I don't put my helmet down upside-down is because it rolls off...

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My helmet goes in whatever direction is convenient. If it's holding keys and gloves - which it often is - it finds a way of sitting in a way that lets the keys and gloves not fall out.

And twice I have had motorcycle shop staff tut at me for doing so.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/media/triggered-gif.43076/full

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:06 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put my gloves in because they've just had untold amounts of bugs/road shit/sweat/dirt/insert random mess here over them and I am gonna stick my head back in there. My hair is absolutely glorious... I won't ruin it.

I wouldn't put my keys in there, but then again keys are either in the bike or in my pocket... too big a chance for my 1 key to fuck off. Laughing

Helmet wise though, its essentially a hard football when it comes to transporting it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

Helmet wise though, its essentially a hard football when it comes to transporting it.

I try to take care of mine but see nothing wrong with placing it however I want in any direction on any surface.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:19 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and I agree.

My only caveat is if I put it upside down on my driveway...its likely to roll or scratch nicely, problem isn't so much the "cool grafix m8" getting scuffed, but the visor. Only problem I have with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:39 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Never place your helmet upside down on a hard surface... Reply with quote

https://helmethalo.com/

Shocked

Portable helmet stands exist and can be used to easily stabilise and secure your lid.

Wub

Rain

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:41 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they what ashtray manufacturers make instead of ashtrays these days?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff can fall in it.
The top ca get scratched.

I rubs real bikers fur the wrong way if they see a helmet sat sitting upside down too.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of ties in with the "extended break from riding" thread. You've got to think for yourself. It's not just about bikes but about all things. I can show the controls (e.g. look at ebike promos and videos, and the language used to describe this stuff, and there will be something eerily familiar there). It all starts in the head. If you figure it out, keep it to yourself because everyone's too fond of their illusions to let you threaten them. When someone wants to make money, they adopt a "shepherd" position and you're expected to follow. Helmet manufacturers, bike manufacturers, bike gear, even motorsports. In fact, it's everything.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:24 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It kind of ties in with the "extended break from riding" thread. You've got to think for yourself. It's not just about bikes but about all things. I can show the controls (e.g. look at ebike promos and videos, and the language used to describe this stuff, and there will be something eerily familiar there). It all starts in the head. If you figure it out, keep it to yourself because everyone's too fond of their illusions to let you threaten them. When someone wants to make money, they adopt a "shepherd" position and you're expected to follow. Helmet manufacturers, bike manufacturers, bike gear, even motorsports. In fact, it's everything.

You off the meds again?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:02 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hang mine off the mirror. Is this bad?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:27 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Never place your helmet upside down on a hard surface... Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://helmethalo.com/

Shocked

Portable helmet stands exist and can be used to easily stabilise and secure your lid.

Wub

Rain

An inflatable pile cushion off e-bay is cheaper Very Happy

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I performed a mirror hang today and even left it there for the stealing while I spent an hour doing things in town.

Not sure how many unwritten rules were broken there, but woe betide me for doing so anyway I guess Thinking

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Never place your helmet upside down on a hard surface... Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
helmethalo

The name reminds me of a particularly excellent helmet rain visor wiper system from years gone by.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I stopped doing that since my helmet fell off the mirror and into the River Frome in the carpark in the centre of it's namesake town.

That was a very tedious ride home, sodden wet up to my waist and water dripping down my neck.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:45 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once told me not to hang it off the mirror because it was somehow bad for them, might even have been my riding instructor. I'd bought a new shoei helmet which at the time was a hell of an expense for me. First time out, I very carefully put it down on the ground, open side down on top of my gloves. When I came back, the fucking bike had fallen off its stand right on top of it.

Ever since, I've hung them on the mirror. Except when I had the original mudguards on my 350 bullet, they had a deep valance on them so you could slot an open face lid neatly over the front mudguard.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AJFCJaXujNMGItU7jSGyXaJEjj_0DWVcS39dVfzfScNb9ZEGTOhjZop5oKOvH6NM60gQcTnLYiPizVNVlCJuMQ0k5VOPvxqTXWVJ0nAFA5sez5EtEHphlUhrgtl49ORzavJVBa31xZN406AzAimwYUElRJ31=w1160-h870-s-no

Last edited by stinkwheel on 21:50 - 09 May 2023; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you can get wrong with helmets is allow them to roll off something and drop onto a hard surface. For example, badly placed on bike seat (while putting your gloves on) and tumbling onto the tarmac Sad All these other things mentioned are either old wives tales or various spectrums of queerness, depending on your age group Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:06 - 09 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The only thing you can get wrong with helmets is allow them to roll off something and drop onto a hard surface.

I can confirm having one fall onto something relatively soft like, for example, a body of water, is an absolute cunt as well.

Having all the alcoholics sat on the other side of the river sitting on the benches taking the piss didn't make the near 50% bank climb after retrieving it much better.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:00 - 10 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your head, dude.

The reason you don't put gloves in is because the velcro will pull the liner. It's probably not going to affect the efficacy of the helmet in a crash, but it makes the helmet less comfortable. Keys are possibly some of the most unhygienic items you have, and yet you put them in a place you put your head?

The reason you don't put a lid upside down on a hard surface is that it'll roll away and get damaged.

I mean, if you want to take any other item worth between £100 and £500 and you want to leave it lying around on a concrete floor and fill it with your grocery shopping then go right ahead. Just remember a luxury watch or diamond necklace is not going to save your head in a crash. This isn't about 'being told what to do' it's about respecting your own possessions IMO.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 10 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying beer in my helmet is often the only way for me now that the plastic can rings have disapeared and companies use shitty cardboard in their absense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 10 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to put your helmet upside down? Seems like a good way for it to roll and scratch the visor. There's a perfectly good flat bit to place it on if you arent too lazy to flip it around Laughing

I'll put my gloves and maybe a drink or something in it when shopping though but I try not to cram thing in there.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The reason you don't put gloves in is because the velcro will pull the liner.

yes - and lids with removable liners it can pull them out, then you have to faff getting it back onto the press studs

solution (?): if you wear a snood, wrap your gloves up in it before bungin 'em in the lid

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The reason you don't put gloves in is because the velcro will pull the liner.

This perfectly illustrates the unnecessary know-all approach of such advice. Not all gloves have velcro so unless you're gonna stop and inspect a person's gloves before coming out with it, I think a better approach would be to just live and let live.

Quote:
Keys are possibly some of the most unhygienic items you have, and yet you put them in a place you put your head?

I'll have you know I also use my helmet as an emergency toilet! Laughing

Honestly I think keys are fine, maybe I'm just a scruffy cunt. Gloves are far dirtier, the amount of touching surfaces that they do and most pairs are probably not cleaned anywhere near as regularly as they ought to be.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 10 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Why would you want to put your helmet upside down? Seems like a good way for it to roll and scratch the visor.

MarJay wrote:

The reason you don't put a lid upside down on a hard surface is that it'll roll away and get damaged.

I should be more clear about this.

On both occasions (pretty much ten years apart) it was a case of my placing the helmet on the shop counter momentarily while handling things with the shop clerk. Not putting it down and walking away. I don't think I even let go of the helmet! It was properly infantilising "woah there buddy wait a minute don't put it down that way" kneejerk computer programmed response nonsense.

I'm not daft enough to put it down in a way that'll have it roll away seconds later.

Plus, the justifications these guys used was the 'helmet integrity' nonsense, simply because the shell is in contact with a hard surface "and that's what can damage it". Please Rolling Eyes
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2