Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

crashes, whos had them? how many and how spectacular?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: crashes, whos had them? how many and how spectacular? Reply with quote

not including standstill/low speed manoeuvres, whats your score?

2 for me. both when young and dumb Rolling Eyes

nothing impressive or serious. and only minor injuries fortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:07 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than enough, too many to bother listing.

Biggest one I broke part of my neck which ruined part of my nervous system so I have tremors and no pain sensitivity on the right side of my body, specifically fingers and toes, fractured spine, fractured 16 ribs, broke both ankles, a leg, a big toe, scaphoid... Was an exciting ride home Vs a Ford Galaxy.

Other ones were fairly boring, wrist and some bruising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 years of ridding and some kid askes if I ever crashed. Fk off!

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:22 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell off my 110cc-engined Honda C50 taking a left turn at a junction strewn with mud and cow shite in the pissing rain. The most remarkable bit of the whole thing was the distance the aluminium number plate flew into the air after decapitating its plastic screws on hitting terra firma.

Total damage: one bruised arse, and my Kevlar jeans full of cow shite. A scaffold pole straightened the Honda's bent footrest; five minutes work, and two number plate screws, saw it back on the road again Thumbs Up

That aside, nothing else to report in 30-odd years of meandering about on two (and occasionally three) wheels.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:18 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 on the road, 1 serious and 2 on the track, one serious.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 for me. Both times hit from behind by a car. first time the car bumper got wedged between the subframe and wheel. I didnt even fall off. Bike stayed upright.

Second time, uninsured driver, rear ended, Bruised and battered a little, bike was knackered, she buggered off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:59 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just sit here and count the scars.

It may take some time....

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
More than enough, too many to bother listing.

Biggest one I broke part of my neck which ruined part of my nervous system so I have tremors and no pain sensitivity on the right side of my body, specifically fingers and toes, fractured spine, fractured 16 ribs, broke both ankles, a leg, a big toe, scaphoid... Was an exciting ride home Vs a Ford Galaxy.

Other ones were fairly boring, wrist and some bruising.

i surprised you got back on a bike after that Shocked

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty as a nipper. I'm not going to tempt fate by saying I'm never going to have another.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of trivial stuff green laning (worst consequences = headache, etc.)

On road, got properly spat off my 500, flipped over the top like a kitten, bounced off the road and through a hedge on a very obscure, lonely local back lane - luckily nobody else involved or around - broke me clavicle, it turned out - luckily some bloke on a ratty KLE turned up, said WHAT THE FUCK 'APPENED 'ERE??? So fortunate he appeared. Helped me get lid off and stash wrecked bike in field, then pillioned me home - i begged him to come in for a cuppa etc. but nah, had none of it....i said call in next time you're passing but i never saw him again lol

did get the bike repaired - tank and all panels sprayed as a foreigner at Notts' Dream Machine, but fuck me i had to wait for it - like, 18 months (!!) but it cost me £200 for the lot, and the tank was in a right state

in the time that followed a bought a second 500 for a grand iirc, and ran that (it was a bit dodgy - frame # was right but engine # didn't match log) - but aside from a leaky nearside fork, it pretty much went and stopped as it should, good enough to put 20-30k on it while the first 500 got done

once the crashed bike was back on the road i punted the makeshift bike on for not much than i paid for it, so all was well

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 SMIDSY which put a biggish hole in my leg (could see the shin bone) but I limped away from hospital the same day after getting it stitched.

1 last week on a country back road, tried to be smart on my big new bike, took it onto some grass to let a car past, then when I moved back onto the tarmac the rear wheel slipped out. Dropped the bike, no discernible damage but somehow a fuel connector decided it was time to die and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere with several litres of petrol slowly dumping itself onto the road.

1 in Vietnam where I did a U-turn without looking at all, and some delivery scooter guy hit me side on. 100% my fault, total idiocy. Nobody hurt and no damage other than a bent clutch lever, but I can think of a hundred different variations of the same crash that would have involved me losing my left leg. Dumbest "woohoo I'm on a new bike in a new country" move I've ever done. In essence it was a SMIDSY and I was the culprit.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few, starting with a highside on a 50cc when I overcooked a bend.
Most impressive had to be chucking my old z400 under the front bumper of a Shell artic petrol tanker while performing an overtake and body surfing down the white line to end up beside his rear wheels.

Both of those were definitely my own stupid fault, I've been SMIDSY'd a couple of times and was quite embarrassed once while riding bitch on my mates Wetdream, his lack of maintenance dumped us on a busy traffic lit section when the drive chain jumped off the rear sprocket and locked up the rear wheel.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/6GclzcT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pyP5jbJ.jpg

Son of a ditch.... Embarassed

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

possible new sport - bike spelunking

so crazy it might just work??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most spectacular of the many would be a toss up between.

1) Sidecar linkage slipped on my outfit. Failed to negotiate left turn. Hit strainer post, flipped off bike and landed on my back in a bush 20ft down a ravine smashing my wrist. Bike and outfit sailed over the top of me upside down and went end over end 3 times to the bottom of the ravine. Bike wa sfixed before i was.

2) Straight up 70mph highside on the A6 Shap road when the rear wheel of my GPZ500s span up on overbanding. Hit the ground, slid a long way then ragdolled. No injuries other than friction burns on my arms. Bike needed a new handlebar, footpeg and a fair bit of fibreglass.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Most spectacular of the many would be a toss up between.

1) Sidecar linkage slipped on my outfit. Failed to negotiate left turn. Hit strainer post, flipped off bike and landed on my back in a bush 20ft down a ravine smashing my wrist. Bike and outfit sailed over the top of me upside down and went end over end 3 times to the bottom of the ravine. Bike wa sfixed before i was.

2) Straight up 70mph highside on the A6 Shap road when the rear wheel of my GPZ500s span up on overbanding. Hit the ground, slid a long way then ragdolled. No injuries other than friction burns on my arms. Bike needed a new handlebar, footpeg and a fair bit of fibreglass.

you should be a Hollywood stuntman Laughing

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not spectacular, but most recent (and an opportunity to rant a bit). In March i was on the way to work when this dizzy cow jumped a red light. Turns out the car and owner were insured, but she isn't a named driver...so she might have insurance, but unlikely.

So i had to claim on my own insurance, which means the £400 excess comes into play Sad Worse still, and i'm still very pissed off about, they offered a settlement of £2300, and a buy back of £750. I argued that how can it be that 3-4 years ago, another crash on the same bike (again, not my fault) i had a settlement figure of £3100, and a buy back for £600...?!

You can't have it both ways. It's either worth less, and so the buyback is less, or it's higher and the buyback is higher. Suddenly it's not worth much when it comes to the settlement figure, but then suddenly worth more when it comes to the buyback. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, i sent them links, showing that 2008 Triples are (with the exception of one bike) were all over 3k. Spoke to the guy yesterday, and after some discussion, we agreed a settlement figure of £2550, and a buy back (which can't be lowered for some reason) of £750.

Then today spoke to 4th Dimension, who originally handled the claim (and gave me the 750 figure) and they said to make sure i get confirmation with Marker Study, and to give my bank deets so they can pay the money into the bank.

So back on the phone to Marker Study (who took it over as i was claiming on my own insurance) said yes, it's all good, settlement figure of £2550, excess of £400 and a buy back of £1045.50.....

You fucking what?! Where the fuck did the £1045.50 figure come from?!? They put me through to the guy i spoke to the day before, and it seems he thought i knew the figure was that high. He seemed pretty genuine, and tried to help but could only raise the settlement figure to £2600, but could do nothing about the 1k as that is a predetermined formula, apparently.

Trouble is, it needed a new rad, the old one was shot after the crash, and i'd been holding out at shelling out for a new one at £260 odd, but thinking i was getting it back at £750, i went for it.

So, option is to just take the money, minus the excess, and then waste 260 quid on a rad i don't need, or, take the bike and lose the extra 300 that appeared magically out of nowhere. As it seems there's sod all i can do about it, and i want the bike back, no choice but to take the shafting. Not happy about it though.

Fucking insurance companies. Sick of them. Middle Finger

Oh, and the most spectacular was probably hitting the side of a minibus until i was nearly dead.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotten luck fella. at least you werent hurt in the crash.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Re: crashes, whos had them? how many and how spectacular? Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
not including standstill/low speed manoeuvres, whats your score?

2 for me. both when young and dumb Rolling Eyes

nothing impressive or serious. and only minor injuries fortunately.

All in all, two for me. The biggest one was when I looped my ER6F the only real damage was to my wallet for about £600 to replace the fairings and alternator and my pride.

The only other time I've damaged it personally was when I was doing a u-turn and my foot slipped off the rear brake and I fumbled, dropped it at about 3-4 mph and I rolled off it. The only casualty that day was again my pride as a load of smoking Tesco workers saw it and my sandwich which was in my backpack got crushed and smooshed when I rolled off the bike.

The only other damage the bikes have ever taken was when some dirty rat cunt scumbag bastard reversed into my bike and knocked it over. Mad

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Not spectacular, but most recent (and an opportunity to rant a bit). In March i was on the way to work when this dizzy cow jumped a red light. Turns out the car and owner were insured, but she isn't a named driver...so she might have insurance, but unlikely.

Why the fuck are you not claiming THEIR insurance? If a car involved in an accident has an insurance policy covering it then that insurer has to cover the vehicle regardless of whether the person driving it was named or not.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've crashed a few times but never been in much pain or broken anything. The last crash I had was on the Polish German border, heading towards Cottbus a town south east of Berlin. I had already covered 600 miles that day and I ran out of fuel and went out of the way to get it to the closest village/town which was quite far out of the way due to running out directly on border land area.

Time was getting very low for my meeting with all the messing around and I was rushing (slight misty rain) and on the way back to the motorway in the dark I saw a dog casually walking along the road - just coming into the light from my headlamp by the time I saw it. Braked the front too much and bike just went a hundred yards or so onwards. I remember the face of the dog who turned around to look at me before the impending (but didn't contact) impact, and me sliding along with the bike infront giving the grinding sparks. Little damage other than a bent up (solid bar) footrest which I did my best to stamp back into a relative position, and a broken indicator lens/bulb - Dog nowhere to be found. The rain lessened the damage to both my bike and I as we simply slid along the tarmac. Plus soft rear pannier bags meant bike damage minimal (even the bags barely were scuffed though, presumably because of the wet conditions).

The next day with a slight aching in my side/hip with only 5 hours sleep I did another 650 miles to Calais on my MZ ETZ251, without issue.

The bike wasn't running right at idle after the crash. It wasn't until getting home I realised why my fuel consumption had been so high from the crash onwards. The main jet had fallen off the emulsion tube and was sitting at bottom of the bowl. Bike ran fine otherwise than a rough idle. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:52 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to a track day at Cadwell went slightly wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/Ops8nZ1.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Going to a track day at Cadwell went slightly wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/Ops8nZ1.jpg

That picture still makes me queasy.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2