Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replacing suspension springs on car. Getting correct parts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Replacing suspension springs on car. Getting correct parts? Reply with quote

Looks like im going to have to replace the coil springs and dampers before the next MOT but how do I make sure I get the right parts. Ive been looking at parts sites and when they list coils springs for my car and I look at individual specs they list different lengths. Obviously this concerns me as I want to order right first time.
By the way its an Agila A type 1.2 2004

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe since it Bausch it will be listed in realoem?

Punch in the vin and Bob's pumping yer aunty.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on Online carparts.co.uk and listed rear springs, first on the list was a Ridex spring with dimensions 310 L x 114 W but a KYB in the same list was 302 x 110, a Mapco 303 x 110 and a Monroe as 295 x 112. There was a Bilstein listed but with no dimensions but said it was B3 OE replacement, does that mean its the Vauxhall approved replacement?

The difference isn't huge but I dont want to be bouncing down the road looking like something from Whacky Races.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I went on Online carparts.co.uk and listed rear springs, first on the list was a Ridex spring with dimensions 310 L x 114 W but a KYB in the same list was 302 x 110, a Mapco 303 x 110 and a Monroe as 295 x 112. There was a Bilstein listed but with no dimensions but said it was B3 OE replacement, does that mean its the Vauxhall approved replacement?

The difference isn't huge but I dont want to be bouncing down the road looking like something from Whacky Races.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/etka/audi/

Realoem list OEM parts specific to make, model and year variants.
I would start there and work my way out.

When you know the correct OEM number.

Not some Aftermarket Pikey's own numbers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Agila Arkansas Chug-a-bug Wub

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 13 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. When I get the motor back from the garage I'll do some serious shopping around for springs and dampers all round. Its worth it on the Agila as its a galvanized body so despite being nearly twenty years old its sound in body and only has 55k miles but unfortunately rust is getting to undercarriage parts. Largely easy to replace as well and worth it looking at the second hand car market at the moment.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has you tried Eurocarparts?
you type in your reg no and they tell you what they got wot fits
as they seem to know the model and spec from that.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some automotive factor websites list specific manufacturer and models of aftermarket parts. You can then cross reference all of these makes with catalogued models on their own websites, or from competitor motorfactor and then perhaps buy the items through cheaper means (e-Bay?). For me, https://www.caerphillycarparts.co.uk/ was good for listing the available specific make and model of specific aftermarket parts which I could look at elsewhere or find their cross reference to perhaps even cheaper item. Other website such as eurocarparts do not give information about specifics of the replacement item other than their own internal reference which is useless for you.

I recently did the above as one of my springs broke on the car, and I had all the cross referencing correct for to buy a replacement part on e-Bay for less than the motorfactors only for them to cancel my order and tell me I had ordered the incorrect part for my registration and linked me to a different item they were selling. The part I was ordering WAS correct but the part advised was completely incorrect (for an automatic model). So ordered through same cross referencing of parts to a different e-Bay seller. I have fitted the spring already (will buy and fit the other side when I can afford/have time to) and it was a fine match.

I'm not sure I would specifically focus on wire size and height etc. As different manufacturers may use different thickness but different spring rate too. So long as (typically this is advised) you replace both sides with the same manufacture of replacement then the balance of the universe is natural again. Just find out what replacement manufactures are available, and look at their catalogues on-line to find the right model for your car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

Do they also sell crumbly cheese?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Has you tried Eurocarparts?
you type in your reg no and they tell you what they got wot fits
as they seem to know the model and spec from that.

They're here but only listed rear springs and the price for front shocks was nesrly twice anywhere else. I might go past them just to get product numbers.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough but be warned product numbers are usually specific to that company, A Vauxhall part number may help more.

What about these Quinton Hazel ones on Ebay for £57 a pair?

it says they will fit a 2004

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234987845590?

I see lots of Agila parts on ebay, I'd be browsing there rather
than traipsing around local shops
slightly off topic I spose but
I see that the Vauxhall Agila and Suzuki Splash are essentially the same car
which reminds me of my VW1.9TD engined Galaxy

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Fair enough but be warned product numbers are usually specific to that company, A Vauxhall part number may help more.

What about these Quinton Hazel ones on Ebay for £57 a pair?

it says they will fit a 2004

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234987845590?

I see lots of Agila parts on ebay, I'd be browsing there rather
than traipsing around local shops
slightly off topic I spose but
I see that the Vauxhall Agila and Suzuki Splash are essentially the same car
which reminds me of my VW1.9TD engined Galaxy

Theres the original Agila, think small van with windows in, very practical and beloved of the aged. This is the same as the Suzuki Wagon R. Then Vauxhall in a masterful display of marketing mayhem cancelled it and produced the Agila B, think pokey (not in a good way) little car with no practicality and too much better performing competition. The B is the same as the Splash.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1