Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knock Knocking / Oil Leak.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:37 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Knock Knocking / Oil Leak. Reply with quote

Had some what sounded like engine knocking on commute home today. Pulled over after a few miles - couldnt see anything obvious although the oil was bubbling back into rest position as viewed through sight-glass. No smoking.

Started her up again and got home after the next 10 miles with no issues. Couldn't replicate despite pushing out 9-10k revs.

She was running at 90degC but she is rated for that - its when the fan kicks in. Levels seem fine although oil lower than i'd thought having topped it to near the max about 200 miles ago.

Other than engine, theres a possibility a stone could've gotten in my scrambler tread and hit the mudguards as there is very little clearance. Didn't find one though.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Last edited by DaddyStu on 16:56 - 21 May 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:08 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in the engine, a knocking noise would be rev dependant. If it's in the transmission or drivetrain, it would be speed dependant.

As a total starter for 10, I would have a very close inspection of the chain, look at every link for signs of splitting in the sideplates, check the master link is intact and that there are no tight spots or tight links. Inspect the sprockets for signs of wear and hooking over and ensure the front sprocket is properly attached.

If there's a rear hugger, make sure it's not flapping about. Any of my recent wierd noises have been hugger related and a mate of mine had his bike recovered from Europe thinking there was a dead output shaft bearing when it was the hugger rubbing on the tyre..

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:12 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If it's in the engine, a knocking noise would be rev dependant. If it's in the transmission or drivetrain, it would be speed dependant.

As a total starter for 10, I would have a very close inspection of the chain, look at every link for signs of splitting in the sideplates, check the master link is intact and that there are no tight spots or tight links. Inspect the sprockets for signs of wear and hooking over and ensure the front sprocket is properly attached.

If there's a rear hugger, make sure it's not flapping about. Any of my recent wierd noises have been hugger related and a mate of mine had his bike recovered from Europe thinking there was a dead output shaft bearing when it was the hugger rubbing on the tyre..

It didn't appear to be rev dependent or speed dependent. It was also irregular. I do need to check the chain - may need tensioning. I havent adjusted it in 800 miles. If it were drive-train related would it disappear after a quick stop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:25 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

It didn't appear to be rev dependent or speed dependent. It was also irregular. I do need to check the chain - may need tensioning. I havent adjusted it in 800 miles. If it were drive-train related would it disappear after a quick stop?

If it's neither rev or speed dependant (by which I mean the knocking gets faster with speed or faster with revs) then it's not a mechanical part of the bikes engine or transmission, it's something else flapping about.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:43 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left leg fell off the peg and was bouncing off the road?

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:58 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If it's neither rev or speed dependant (by which I mean the knocking gets faster with speed or faster with revs) then it's not a mechanical part of the bikes engine or transmission, it's something else flapping about.

I havent got any flappy bits. Visor perhaps but it's solidly attached and the sound wasn't coming from there. Seemed to be engine/front wheel area.

Unless evidence to the contrary (after chain checks), i'm leaning towards the stone under the mudguard theory. Mainly because it cleared up and didn't reappear at 10k revs/70mph. Will check tomorrow when I top up levels. My sloping drive makes even that an event!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 16 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Mainly because it cleared up and didn't reappear at 10k revs/70mph.

On a Chinese 125? Shocked

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
DaddyStu wrote:
Mainly because it cleared up and didn't reappear at 10k revs/70mph.

That's literally the top speed, according to the specs.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

You sound like my kids. Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:30 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The only time it'll ever go that fast is in the back of a transit van.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:49 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Aye - she'll do 70 'indicated' on the flat. Had 76 upto the rev limiter on a decline. Comfortable at 60-65 all day - even with my 90Kg!

We had a lovely day out up around Brecon-Landovery together - 5 hours in the saddle.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:06 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cleaned/lubed chain - no stuck links and all levels good. Looking gorgeous too. Chain in need of tensioning but no time now. Will be commuting in a bit so will see how it goes.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:27 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose headstock bearings will knock. Hold the front brake on and bounce the forks up and down, with a bit of forward and backwards mixed in.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:57 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good - no drama. 60 mile there-n-back commute with no further issue.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:08 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have evidence of a possible oil leak - coming from front sprocket area and dripping onto top of the sidestand.

Dont think it's chain-lube. Possibly coolant running down from expansion tank outflow? The side-stand is taking a lot of strain from being on a sloped drive so hopefully no case-cracks.

Not enough to mark the floor yet but i wiped 2 clear yet oily drips off.

Didn't taste of much.

Its due a service so will get it checked over.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1