Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

House insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: House insurance Reply with quote

Is there any point in having a higher than normal level of house insurance?
I'm with Admiral and have the highest level of cover, being sold on this by 'it's only a bit extra and look what you get'...

Well I discovered my shower has been leaking for a long time and the joist underneath can be poked through with a finger it's so moist!
The tiling, shower base etc all need removing to make sure the leak is fixed as it can't be got to otherwise - I'm amazed there's no visible sign of this on the kitchen ceiling underneath.

So I thought I'd check my insurance, I'm paying for the high level so it should be covered. But no... first of all it's a £500 compulsory excess (no voluntary) for any water leaks. But then what's not covered is any leaks due to 'grout or sealant failures'.
Meaning they have a perfect get out clause for any leaks like this. Well I don't know where it's leaked from, and I've replaced the sealant several times over the years.

Come renewal I'll save myself some dosh and just get the cheapest cover possible, I mean what's the point otherwise Evil or Very Mad !
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:17 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grout and sealant failures should be readily apparent and are easily fixed before damage occurs.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously a very minor leak that has gone unseen for a very long time. I've seen mastic joints that look sound
and leak like a sieve. If the surface prep wasn't good on application then that can do it, all it takes is a dusty tile. Applying
mastic without the bath full of water first can and does pull the sealant away from the wall the first time someone takes a
bath. £500 is not a lot of dough to have the bath removed, flooring and joist repaired and everything reinstated in my opinion.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit like asking car insurance to pay to fix an engine when it craters for lack of oil.

It's mostly a major inconvenience fixing bathroom leaks.
Much much cheaper to DIY than get some gadgie round.
Unless you have A fecal touch when it comes to DIY.

I have a canopy over my front door.
For some strange reason all the wood in it has rotted and it needs rebuilt.
It means hiring arcro-props to hawd the stupid bastirt in place while Jiminey Cricket the Builder/Carpenter (MCN) gets after it.
The wood, nails, mastic and exterior gloss has been stacked in the garage behind the bikes since last summer.

If I wait, it might collapse of its own volition and I'll only need a trip to the cooncil tip with the remnants. Cool
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it wrong for me to hope for thunderstorms in your general location?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 09 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shower cubicle rather than a bath, and part of the joist is under a false wall which likely also needs the bottom repairing - so tiles removed and replaced, shower tray removed to check the rest of the joist underneath. Any repairs made, then put back, the flooring had to be taken up to get to the joist so new lino and boarding... yep, looking a fair bit more than £500.

I wouldn't bother with insurance at all either 'cept it's part of the requirement of the mortgage.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 09 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate, I did see the word shower but assumed you were showering while stood in a bath like normal people do Laughing Wink
It's a lot of (not cheap) work putting this right in any case.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:41 - 09 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember insurance companies aren't in the business of paying out money to customers. They are in the business of paying out dividends to shareholders.

Y U no tank showr?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1