Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF125 - No rear light

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

nsushi33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: CBF125 - No rear light Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have come to end of my patience with this bike, lol. So, I bought a 2012 CBF125 for my son which has a problem with it's rear running light. At first I thought it was the stator or regulator, so I have replaced those and still nothing (turns out the stator did need replacing anyway as one of the coils was burnt out). The headlight and instrument lights are all operational, just not the taillight - it works fine through the brake. I am a novice at best with regards to electrics, and after watching many youtube videos I have worked out that the circuit from the regulator to all of the bulbs is producing -6v and -6 amps. All the little bulbs in the instrument cluster work fine (no doubt because they require less wattage) and I changed the bulb. I'm on the verge of bypassing the light with one of the little ones just so it works.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the connectors for the back lighht that are quite close to it and swap the brake light power feed with therear light one.

Does the rear light now come on when yoou use the brake or is the brake light on continuously?

nsushi33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:45 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Find the connectors for the back lighht that are quite close to it and swap the brake light power feed with therear light one.

Does the rear light now come on when yoou use the brake or is the brake light on continuously?

I get nothing at all. I swapped the brake light feed with the running light feed, and got nothing. Pressed the brake lever and nothing as well. I just tested with a tester pen with the earth attached to the ground on the bulb fixing and that worked though. So there is power, but just not enough to power the bulb......or have I got that wrong?

Just to add, I also tried another bulb and still the same thing. So that's three bulbs it isn't working with.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:14 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the point of the experiment was to findout if the lighting was at fault or the power supply.

You've either broken it further or both the supply and the light fitting are busted.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the grounding side of the circuit.

nsushi33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:11 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, the point of the experiment was to findout if the lighting was at fault or the power supply.

You've either broken it further or both the supply and the light fitting are busted.

I’ve put it all back together as it was before and it’s still as it was before the switch over, so doesn’t look like further damage.

nsushi33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:12 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

The rear tail light and the brake light share the same ground, so wouldn’t the brake light also not work if the ground was faulty? This is just my novice opinion of course.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsushi33 wrote:
Islander wrote:

The rear tail light and the brake light share the same ground, so wouldn’t the brake light also not work if the ground was faulty? This is just my novice opinion of course.

You can get odd ground paths when ground is missing from a connection. It's a common connection so it's worth checking.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:13 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

You can get odd ground paths when ground is missing from a connection. It's a common connection so it's worth checking.

Yep, itcould be earthing anywhere back to front light through bulbs for the brake light.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the number plate light work?
9/10 the tail light is usually in parallel to that and share a supply.
If you have no number plate light either, I'd be checking for 12v on the Black/brown cable at the connector when the bike is switched on.

If the number plate lights up but not the tail light, check the bulb
with a meter first
Always check the bulb first!

I haven't seen a meter mentioned
just sayin......

nsushi33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:41 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all,

So new day, kind of new start and I’ve fixed the problem, or at least I’ve found the problem. It is the bulb fixing. Thanks to all that commented. It is something as simple as the ground pin not touching the metal bulb fixing. I’ve had this bike in bits, replaced the stator and regulator, replaced all the bulbs, no doubt broken something else and all it was is a less than 1mm gap between the ground pin and metal casing. Sigh. Anyway, time to make sure that doesn’t happen again and put it all back together.

Thanks again

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsushi33 wrote:
Morning all,

So new day, kind of new start and I’ve fixed the problem, or at least I’ve found the problem. It is the bulb fixing. Thanks to all that commented. It is something as simple as the ground pin not touching the metal bulb fixing. I’ve had this bike in bits, replaced the stator and regulator, replaced all the bulbs, no doubt broken something else and all it was is a less than 1mm gap between the ground pin and metal casing. Sigh. Anyway, time to make sure that doesn’t happen again and put it all back together.

Thanks again

Look on the bright side: you've learnt a lot about how the bike's put together. Every day a school day Wink
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1