Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Man climbs BBC HQ scaffolding and hammers at statue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Man climbs BBC HQ scaffolding and hammers at statue Reply with quote

Why oh why do the modern day wankers regard that as acceptable behaviour?

Does a statue, a work of art, need that sort of hysterical attitude?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65655332

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the man who made the piece of art had the audacity to document the sexual abuse he performed on his daughters, I say anything goes.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time this has happened to this particular statue.

Edit: Yep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59972806

Further edit: Apparently Sisters and his Dog as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's acceptable to topple colonial icons into the bay then surely it's also open season on the works of kiddie fiddlers?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:40 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this action supposed to achieve?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:45 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much the same as chucking the Colston statue in the harbour. Itshould be taken down in respect of the people who have suffered abuse.

How would you feel if someone who beat you every day had a statue they made in such a prominent position?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it’s a famous totem for paedophilia?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:53 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as far as I know, but being on the front of the main offices of the corporation that protected Jimmy Saville for years sort of makes the wrong impression.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Much the same as chucking the Colston statue in the harbour. Itshould be taken down in respect of the people who have suffered abuse.

How would you feel if someone who beat you every day had a statue they made in such a prominent position?

He died 83 years ago. It's unlikely that anyone he abused is still alive.

I'm not defending him as the very notion of such abuse sickens me to the core but I don't see any gain from smashing up someone else's property because someone feels vicariously offended by his actions against people who are long dead. IMO it's more about attention seekers looking for some kind of platform or perhaps some kind of release from an event in their own past.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:04 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colston died much longer ago. You won't really find anyone in Bristol that really gives a shit about his dunking. The vast majority that I've spoken to said 'about time'.

It's hard to find someone who was a subject of slavery where he was involved these days.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin hell. He's only gone and toppled it!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:

Lol... I for one welcome our new AI fake news generators, they'll do a much better job of it Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Colston died much longer ago. You won't really find anyone in Bristol that really gives a shit about his dunking. The vast majority that I've spoken to said 'about time'.

It's hard to find someone who was a subject of slavery where he was involved these days.

Well i understand that people have different sensibilities but what I'm wondering is what is it about this statue that has enraged this particular person at this particular time enough that they feel the burning need to destroy it?

If it were a new comission I could understand the outrage but the statue was carved long before his diaries were exposed in the biography.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not destroy all Roman, Greek and Egyptian statues and artefacts
cos slavery too?

Self righteous arseholes IMO
I've walked past the Colston statue without knowing or caring who he was
Now I know who he was, I still dont fuckin care

it happened, get over it

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the perennial "hate the man, not the art" discussion. Gary Glitter? Very easy. Michael Jackson... somehow not the same?

With regards to toppling statues for political reasons the whole thing's performative. Strictly speaking if a statue has to come down then so does the city that housed it. All that immoral* money went into the bricks and mortar. Throw a statue in the bay? Throw yourself in while you're at it!

The BBC HQ one is a little different. The Saville affair makes the whole place whiff of paedo apologists; more than a can of Febreze could tackle. I suspect this recent nutter was having a bad day and lashed out at what he saw as an establishment icon. Maybe his TV licence renewal had just dropped through the letterbox.

*By today's standards apparently although modern slavery gets a free pass.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero artistic merit that I can see. It's modern and doesn't fit in anywhere. If I'm wrong then I stand to be enlightened. In the light of the artist's predilections, what I see is a kid covering the genital parts of a man, in a perversion of the common, well-established traditional motif of female adult consorts covering the genital parts of a male boddhisatva in Vajrayana iconography, in a representation of prajna and upaya. Did he do that on purpose? Don't know, but it's likely he was familiar with the oriental esoteric.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/673006738068708337/

Even if I'm reading too much into it, I still don't see any historic or artistic importance in the statue. I can't identify the style. I can appreciate why the protester considered it to be mean and aberrant.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1