Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why did tyres get so fat?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Why did tyres get so fat? Reply with quote

Stock fitting on the 1988 (95 BHP) FZ750 is 130/80 (although mine sports a slightly wider 140/70).

A current Trident 660 (80 BHP) has a mahoosive 180/55..

why did that happen - can't be just for the look, can it?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't last any longer and the sheer mass of rubber must contribute to higher price.
The contact area with road is probably very slightly more but mostly it's all about looks IMO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
They don't last any longer and the sheer mass of rubber must contribute to higher price.
The contact area with road is probably very slightly more but mostly it's all about looks IMO

Yes, to add, i was at the Manx a few years back and the racers were ripping round on Goldstars and Manx Nortons etc with veritable razor blade width tyres.. made me ponder.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair the FZ handles like shite as all bikes running skinny crossply tyres do, having an 18" rear isn't ideal either. Hence why most folk resto-modding them fit 1000 Eggcup wheels.

However - I will give you that about the Triumph being "over tyred" - a 160 rear would be more than adequate and might actually aid steering.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
To be fair the FZ handles like shite as all bikes running skinny crossply tyres do, having an 18" rear isn't ideal either. Hence why most folk resto-modding them fit 1000 Eggcup wheels.

However - I will give you that about the Triumph being "over tyred" - a 160 rear would be more than adequate and might actually aid steering.

You might well be right - my only yardstick is the Fazer 600 I had 20+ years ago and it was more 'nimble', I guess I've become accustomed to the heft of the FZ these days but I would like to try something like a Trident 660 for comparison.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:48 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's fashion. And yet journos are moaning that the new Honda Hornet has "Just" 160 section tyres.

It's a 90bhp, 190kg bike FFS. It doesn't need a 180 section tyre.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:13 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet a 180 section tyre is the same price or cheaper than something weird like a 140 section tyre. So many bikes use the 120/180 combo, that tyres are so common and the choice is immense. You can't say that bikes with that combo handle badly because of it, as so many fantastic bikes have that combo.

Don't complain, you could be getting 21" fronts on knobblies and having to have that haul you around a 90mph switchback.... oh wait...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Of course it's fashion. And yet journos are moaning that the new Honda Hornet has "Just" 160 section tyres.

It's a 90bhp, 190kg bike FFS. It doesn't need a 180 section tyre.

190/55 for the win.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:28 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pair deals for common tyres are a lot cheaper than unusual sizes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:46 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

But.... rears wear out faster fronts.

I had a front in my garage for 3 years because I bought a pair and then COVID kicked in...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bigger the tyre the more you can be charged for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
the bigger the tyre the more you can be charged for it.

To a point maybe

But the more popular a size becomes by manufacturers, the more tyre manufactures will cater for that size, generating a competivie market, plus the addition of the economies of scale (the more you produce, the cheaper it gets)

It's quite easy to see why smaller capacity bikes are using fatter tyres that 10, 20 years ago, as there are simply more tyres available in that size

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father-in-law's Harley: front 130/60 21" back...

240/40 18" Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I get the current economies (of scale) to be had for everyone on 17" wheels, similar sizes etc..

..but the original question still stands - why did they get fat in the first place?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
OK, so I get the current economies (of scale) to be had for everyone on 17" wheels, similar sizes etc..

..but the original question still stands - why did they get fat in the first place?

To cope with more horsepower and stiffer frames, plus there's a limit to how narrow you can make a radial tyre, and radial tyres are a good thing.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
.. there's a limit to how narrow you can make a radial tyre, and radial tyres are a good thing.

Thumbs Up now we're getting somewhere

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:23 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Pair deals for common tyres are a lot cheaper than unusual sizes.

Fair point.

redeem ouzzer wrote:
...plus there's a limit to how narrow you can make a radial tyre, and radial tyres are a good thing.

And also a fair point.

Not that it matters to me: My bike's a big fat bastard and 180 section is the right size for it.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:18 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, despite all of the good reasons, the core reason is that fat tyres look good and that helps sales.

Slightly annoying for me, particularly for something I found out after buying my bike. It's a Guzzi V9, with a 150 section rear. Guzzi have been using basically the same frame and shaft drive setup since the 60s, with skinny tyres. For my bike they had to alter the shaft drive to clear the wider tyre, which meant limiting rear wheel travel.

So I have a wide tyre that I don't need, and worse rear suspension.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big tyres can put more load on the road and carry more weight.

And stuff.
Contact Patch.

Run cooler. (Not overheat and get sick)

Not sure looks are a thing.

Maybe the looks thing is only due to the increased power needing Big fat tyres and therefore a relationship between the two.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:04 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mostly for the look of it.

The TL1000s was a classic case in point. They fitted a comparatively massive rear tyre to them for the time they were released which was a large part of why they used to get random, unrecoverable tankslappers (there were other issues too mind). If you fitted a slightly narrower tyre, they didn't do it.

It boggles my mind how wide a tyre they fit on even 125s these days. There are guys doing 100mph laps of the IOM on 90/90 fronts and 100/90 rears in the classic racing scene. It's what I have on my 612 enfield, it'll be making 3 to 4 times the power of a 125 and I've never noticed a lack of grip or traction.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 28 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The TL1000s was a classic case in point. They fitted a comparatively massive rear tyre to them for the time they were released which was a large part of why they used to get random, unrecoverable tankslappers (there were other issues too mind). If you fitted a slightly narrower tyre, they didn't do it.

The TL1000s had a pretty much standard 180 rear in 95/96. The GSXR750L had a 180 in 89 so not really a massive tyre for the time.
The slappers were more to do with the Rotary vane rear damper and people not used to the instant power of the engine coupled with relatively quick steering for a physically big bike. Nothing to do with trye sizes.
Same pretty much happened with the GSXR1100K of 88/89 which dependant on market had either a 170 or 180 rear tyre and a 120 or 130 front tyre and also suffered from unrecoverable slappers.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The slappers were more to do with the Rotary vane rear damper and people not used to the instant power of the engine coupled with relatively quick steering for a physically big bike. Nothing to do with trye sizes.

Also because the swinging arm was flexible, meaning the chain tension had to be checked when the rear spindle nut was tight otherwise it would go tight as a bowstring when you did tighten it. This reduced the suspension travel and also exacerbated a lot of the slap happy nature. Tyre technology has come a long way since then too, so TL-S's don't really seem to do the same thing with modern tyres, although they still suffer from the same reputation a bit. A certain type of person ends up buying them these days.

Apparently a lot of the frame cracking issue was also down to overtight chains too...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 28 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Also because the swinging arm was flexible, meaning the chain tension had to be checked when the rear spindle nut was tight otherwise it would go tight as a bowstring when you did tighten it. This reduced the suspension travel and also exacerbated a lot of the slap happy nature.

The swingarms aren't flexible, its a pretty massive aluminium extrusion welded to an equally massive bridge but the fit of the adjusters leaves a lot to be desired. Same on a lot of Suzuki's of the era. Add in rear sprockets that are off round, amazing how many are out from new and you have a recipe for an over tight chain.

MarJay wrote:
Tyre technology has come a long way since then too, so TL-S's don't really seem to do the same thing with modern tyres, although they still suffer from the same reputation a bit. A certain type of person ends up buying them these days.

Not really correct either. The first 2 years of TL1000s's had a recall where the FI was reprogrammed to soften the power delivery at the lower end which stopped the front end going as light. The 3rd year on was softer as standard.

MarJay wrote:
Apparently a lot of the frame cracking issue was also down to overtight chains too...

Only seen cracked frames on crashed ones although I can imagine the rotary vane damper could potentially cause cracked frames.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:26 - 28 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 60hp 400 ancient has slightly skinnier tyres than my 12hp 125.

I can "get" tyres for my 400 cheaply, if I dont want a 240kmph speed rating....because tyres in those sizes arent used on 400's anymore but lesser bikes.(and may make me fail MOT and life)

I can "GET" tyres in my sizes and with the desired speed rating, but then i have to spend an armful...compared to the "125" tyres.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in gods name do you need tyres rated to 150 mph on an old 400?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2