Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Returning biker - awkward route round the house

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jam-R1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:19 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Returning biker - awkward route round the house Reply with quote

Hi

Looking at returning to being a bike owner after 15 or so years off (doesn't feel that long). Had a few bikes, R6, TL1000R to name a couple and will fulfill my lifelong dream of having an R1, so currently gearing up for a 04-07 model.

One of the issues i'm facing is the route around the side of my house where the bike will need to be stored. The previous owners extended, eating into access area, it leaves a dog leg where there is a pinch point of 80cm between wall and fence, but opens up slightly around that. Just looking at it I *think* it'll be ok, maybe a bit of a pain but one I can deal with. The R1 width is reported at 69cm so some clearence - does this include mirrors? Are there any tips for manouvering around tight spaces?

Look forward to updating with some pics soon Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of a dog leg is it. You might get through the pinch point OK but then struggle turning it around the dog leg. Pretty paint diagram would help. Laughing

I had issues in one place I lived with manouvering and got a bike dolly but they work with smooth access and centre stands and I don't think the R1 (or many sports bikes) have them.

More info or even photos of the access might give us a better idea of what your issues will be.

Jam-R1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:46 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
How much of a dog leg is it. You might get through the pinch point OK but then struggle turning it around the dog leg. Pretty paint diagram would help. Laughing

I had issues in one place I lived with manouvering and got a bike dolly but they work with smooth access and centre stands and I don't think the R1 (or many sports bikes) have them.

More info or even photos of the access might give us a better idea of what your issues will be.

Pinch point is between the wall and the sleepers and is 82cm at its narrowest, rest is 1.1M +

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look great Sad Have you got / can you borrow something easy like a push bike? Get a taste of what you're letting yourself in for with the manoeuvres.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam-R1 wrote:
pics

No chance you're getting a bike around that mate sorry

Jam-R1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Doesn't look great Sad Have you got / can you borrow something easy like a push bike? Get a taste of what you're letting yourself in for with the manoeuvres.

No issues with the push bike even with the handlebars extended to 69cm - same as the R1. The turning circle is a bit harder to replicate though. I prob need to get a bike down there and see it for real, or just buy one and hope for the best !

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam-R1 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

No issues with the push bike even with the handlebars extended to 69cm - same as the R1. The turning circle is a bit harder to replicate though. I prob need to get a bike down there and see it for real, or just buy one and hope for the best !

Now try a C90, work your way up. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jam-R1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:09 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other side of the fence I have the opportunity to claw back probably another foot of space so will move the fence back which will give me a straighter angle on the tight spot. I can’t let this beat me as am definitely not moving house again !

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a hard surface and you are reasonably strong and confident with it you can spin them on side stand but it would mark paving slabs I wouldn't like to do it daily, if it's more like weekly might be reasonable.
The problem is you need space alongside to stand if you can't literally ride through it.
Need someone else with similar mid-weight bike to try it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam-R1 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Pinch point is between the wall and the sleepers and is 82cm at its narrowest, rest is 1.1M +

Looking at those photos I regret to say no chance with an R1 as it is.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is no one going suggest grabbing a handful of throttle and wheelieing it through? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:34 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just put down some paving slabs on top of the gravel. They're pretty cheap, even with delivery.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1 not known for generous lock to lock steering. In any case you'll have to be astride the bike, on gravel. Good luck.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that gap and the gravel, I wouldn't risk my mirrors and paintwork... Plus it would be so difficult, even if you managed it, you wouldn't want to go for a spin because of the hassle.

I'm guessing you'll either have to move house again or take up knitting instead. Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/WAhg3bEeurE

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP needs one o these

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Hondap50.jpg

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

....or a Sachs Madass

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course.. if he wants moar powah
he'd get in and out OK on this thing

https://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/ryno-electric-unicycle-image-ryno-motors_100402878_l.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a de-aged Sigourney Weaver...
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2