Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle Overheating after Coolant Change

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:22 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Motorcycle Overheating after Coolant Change Reply with quote

Hey!

So I’ve changed my coolant in my Suzuki GSF 650, flushed it, and got rid of any air (to my best knowledge).

Then the issues started happening. First I noticed after the 1st ride the overflow bottle filled to the max, then I noticed that the coolant started leaving the overflow tube after rides, and now the engine overheated, and after checking the bottle was nearly empty, and had to top up the radiator with 300ml coolant. Could this be the dreaded head gasket issue? Or not, as the coolant only leaks from the tube after I’ve stopped riding.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:30 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were behaving normally before you changed the coolent it won't be the head gasket.

There's exccess air in the system. Take the filler cap andleave it off after starting WHEN IT's COLD. Let the excess air bubble out and top up before it gets hot.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check that the radiator fan comes on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:08 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the bike about a month ago, so hoping it’s something I did! I’ll try that again tomorrow with it being cold.

Also yes, fan kicks on. The temp warning light also goes on but I’m guessing that’s from the reduced level of coolant!

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:09 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If it were behaving normally before you changed the coolent it won't be the head gasket.

There's exccess air in the system. Take the filler cap andleave it off after starting WHEN IT's COLD. Let the excess air bubble out and top up before it gets hot.

Also, I thought that the reason for the overflow reservoir is for the bike to automatically adjust coolant amount, this getting rid of trapped air? Or am I misunderstanding? Would not enough coolant explain the reservoir bleeding it’s coolant out too?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an expansion chamber. It's supposed to allow for the expansion of a liquid.

If there is air in the system the air will expand a lot more than the liquid will and at a lower temperature, forcing excessive amounts of coolant into the chamber.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:35 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's an expansion chamber. It's supposed to allow for the expansion of a liquid.

If there is air in the system the air will expand a lot more than the liquid will and at a lower temperature, forcing excessive amounts of coolant into the chamber.

Understood! And it can reach a point of it expelling all of the liquid from the chamber?

Many thanks!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolant bottle is effectively an overflow. If you fill it, you're going to have a coolant leak.

It's also common to get an air lock after you change coolant, riding it will often 'burp' the system so the air is expelled. I'd open the radiator cap and see if there is any air in the top of the rad. If it's now full, and your expansion tank just has a little bit of coolant in it up to the minimum, ride it again to see if it overheats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:55 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The coolant bottle is effectively an overflow. If you fill it, you're going to have a coolant leak.

It's also common to get an air lock after you change coolant, riding it will often 'burp' the system so the air is expelled. I'd open the radiator cap and see if there is any air in the top of the rad. If it's now full, and your expansion tank just has a little bit of coolant in it up to the minimum, ride it again to see if it overheats.

Gotcha, but can an air lock expel the coolant that’s already in the bottle? As it had more in it before I noticed the leak, not basically empty. Or did I have such a significant air lock that it sucked some of the coolant from the bottle into the system itself?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:00 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it burped a big air bubble out, it would have to go somewhere first and that's into the expansion tank. The system has to be under pressure for the radiator cap to be opened against its spring which would allow coolant to flow both ways between the expansion bottle and the radiator. That't wont happen properly while there's air in the system because air is compressable.

It MIGHT be your head gasket, it's possible a bit of crud was all that was preventing if gassing through and the flushing dislodged it but as above, I'd refill and take it for a bit of a run and see if it's still doing it. If the gasket's gone, the gasket's gone. If it hasn't, you're fine.

Another wee test is to feel one of the coolant hoses as you rev the engine. If it goes hard as you rev it, that would be a bad thing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator pressure cap off.
Fill the radiator until the level of coolant is at the top of the radiator filler neck/pressure cap flange.
Squeeze the bottom hose and top hose (if accessible) that should help to dislodge any air trapped in a corner somewhere. Or as Nobbers suggested, start the engine, the pump will circulate coolant around the system and dislodge air. But it might also Vomit it out over your good slacks.

Top up the radiator and repeat until you cannot top up anymore.
Radiator cap on. Make sure it is twisted over the detent to lock it in place too.

Adjust the expansion tank/bottle to the max level. Fitt the cap.
Run the engine until warm and the thermostat/regulator is fully open.
Raise the rpm blip blip to push the coolant around.
Shut off.
Check the level in the expansion tank.

BMW FYI recommend filling the cooling system via a vacuum device.
Coolant is sucked into to system from a container. (Physics l: Air pumped out of the system by the vacuum pump is relaplaced by coolant, which is pushed into the void by atmospheric pressure.
The vacuum is applied after the system is full.
The vacuum causes trapped air bubbles to expand in the lower than atmospheric pressure, when they get bigger they join up with other big air bubbles and can then roll out of the system easier.
The vacuum is released and the expansion tank topped up.
Vor Sprong Dork Teqnique.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:39 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I’ve done as everyone has advised and ran with cap off etc.

Topped up to the max. No bubbles when revving, all seems good.

Went out for a hard ride, let the bike cool for a few hours, opened up the cap and water wasn’t to the top, but the expansion tank was definitely more full than before.

Did I let the bike cool enough for it so suck the coolant back up, or is there a leak in the return hose, or a faulty radiator cap?

Or is that normal?

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:31 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon inspecting the hose at the bottom of the expansion bottle, I’ve found a little crack, could this be the cause? Coolant isn’t leaking out, but it could prevent vacuum from being made - thus allowing the coolant to dump into the bottle, but not be sucked back up?

Many thanks,

Kostya

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:42 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're now looking for problems that aren't there. Ride it.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:23 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You're now looking for problems that aren't there. Ride it.

I rode it a few times, and after waiting for the bike to cool down, the coolant level dropped after every ride. And after stopping at home, it always pissed some out after stopping from the overflow tube. Doesn’t happen when riding, only when stopped and about to switch off.

Topped up the radiator every time. So it’s transferring it to the expansion bottle, where it gets overfilled and purges it, thus loosing coolant.

Like I said, there are no bubbles when revving, water is pumping well.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:33 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case you are overfilling it. When you turn it off,all that heat in the engine is seeping into the water that is no longer being cooled so the coolent expands.

The small gap at the top of the radiator is probably because a vacuum forms whilst you are riding and when you take the cap off when cold you are letting air in.

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In that case you are overfilling it. When you turn it off,all that heat in the engine is seeping into the water that is no longer being cooled so the coolent expands.

The small gap at the top of the radiator is probably because a vacuum forms whilst you are riding and when you take the cap off when cold you are letting air in.

But that’s the strange thing, if I was overfilling, surely the engine wouldn’t overheat? The cap is a strange one, it’s actually under the tank not in the radiator, by the thermostat. There’s definitely still an air gap. Is this normal?

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:17 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

10kovako wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

But that’s the strange thing, if I was overfilling, surely the engine wouldn’t overheat? The cap is a strange one, it’s actually under the tank not in the radiator, by the thermostat. There’s definitely still an air gap. Is this normal?

Ran another test again, and under the fuel tank, when I take off the coolant cap, the thermostat seems to allow water through to fill the radiators, and when a little warm the level appears full. As soon as I switch off the level drops again, so strange!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:23 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise there is a pump that will raise the level when the engine is running and it will lower again once you turn off the engine? Thats what pumps do...

10kovako
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You do realise there is a pump that will raise the level when the engine is running and it will lower again once you turn off the engine? Thats what pumps do...

With all of the emphasis on bleeding the system and making sure there’s no air in it, then surely the pump is just to circulate the coolant already in there?

Shouldn’t raise/ lower it?

What I was mentioning is that it seems the radiator empties itself when the bike is switched off.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:47 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the cap off then it will raise the level. Thats why you were cautioned about water coming out of the filler hole onto your slacks.

Quite frankly, if you keep faffing with it and don't just ride it and see if it overheats then you're a lost cause.

Stop filling it up, ride it and see if something dramatically goes wrong.

If the expansion bottle overflows, wait until it cools down and then ride it again without topping it up.

Does it happen again?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A functioning radiator cap will maintain pressure in the cooling system, allowing excess volume (due to coolant expansion when hot) to flow into the surge tank/expansion tank. As the engine cools, the radiator cap will maintain an airtight seal, and the coolant in the surge tank will migrate back into the radiator. Your symptoms suggest the radiator cap is allowing air into the radiator upon cool down. I suggest replacing the cap. The STANT 11233 is an aftermarket cap that works on many japanese bikes, and costs a fraction of the OEM cap. Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:00 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the radiator cap is letting air in when the bike is cooling, how is it maintaining pressure when the engine is hot? Bear in mind the whole point is that the pressure allows the coolent to go over boiling point and steam would get out the cap just as easily as air gets in.

It's not like the cap gets worn out by use....

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the radiator cap is letting air in when the bike is cooling, how is it maintaining pressure when the engine is hot?

It's not like the cap gets worn out by use....

The radiator cap contains two valves and two springs. A pressure valve backed by a high pressure spring, and a vacuum valve that seats on pressure and unseats against a very lightweight spring on cool down. This action allows fluid from the surge tank to migrate back into the radiator.

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/engine-radiator-cap.html?utm_content=cmp-true

I respectfully submit that the radiator cap does indeed incur wear over numerous heat cycles.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A leak in the surge tank tube above the coolant level could cause air to migrate into the radiator even if the radiator cap is functioning properly.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2