Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SV1000 Brakes oddly in the wet!?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: SV1000 Brakes oddly in the wet!? Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm not worried about it but I was a bit surprised. I'm still gaining confidence after a lengthy spell off and I took the bike to work yesterday in the rain. On my way out I had some front brake squeal, not normally an issue but as I applied more brake coming to a roundabout - it's downhill coming out of an industrial estate - I got a bit of judder I haven't experienced before. Like it was biting then not biting ( I don't have ABS!).

Brakes have been fine in the dry, they were stone cold at this point in the wet though. I'm guessing there's some glazing gone on? I haven't been braking hard the last few weeks and the setup is standard but pretty much an unknown quantity after 100 miles of ownership.

Worst case scenario is a few pads and discs but it's generally not something I've experienced before so thought I'd look for ideas! No visible scoring or pitting or glazing to be seen. Don't mind changing them if needed!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest way is to just slap a new set of sintered pads in and give the calipers a quick service. If it doesn't fix the issue then you can look at the discs.

100 miles of ownership though, I'd be inspecting the carriers and discs for sign of damage or corrosion. People forget the disc lock and try to ride off without removing it, bending the carrier. A bike that's stood can get a rust patch on the disc that could be fine in the dry but stick-slipping in the wet.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been some surface rust on the discs, that can get pretty squealy/grippy until it wears off (usually after the first application of the brake).

Maybe it's got shit pads? One advantage of sintered pads is they are unaffected by the wet.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geri, Hi Stinkers, very long time no see!!! Hope things are going well for the both of you, hope you're still enjoying Cumbria Stinkwheel.

I think you're both right, no harm in throwing in a pair of pads at this point. The bikes a 30k miles 20 year old budget Suzuki thousand, so it's doing well just to be braking. Guy I bought it from is an absolute diamond to be fair so I don't have too many doubts having made that proclamation!

Will grab some pads and get my hands dirty for a change, all the best guys!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:36 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally found a set of brembo SA pads are one of the best ways to immediately up the brake game. They are a lot more expensive than normal pads but are cheaper than anything else you'd do to upgrade... I even found a set that fit Mrs stinkwheels Honda Wave scooter! (the calliper is used as a rear on some sportsbikes)

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No votes for, “Give ‘em a bit of stick (in the dry) and see how they go,” then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 29 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

+ 1 Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Laughing I've spoken to the nice gentleman that sold me the bike, he told me to take it round and he'd have a look. He also replaced the pads but they were eBay something or other. At the moment we have agreed on an 'Italian Tune Up' as a possible course of action before new sintered pads!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
...At the moment we have agreed on an 'Italian Tune Up' as a possible course of action before new sintered pads!

Might be a good idea to remove the pads and deglaze with sandpaper before your "Italian Tune Up". You can bed-in the pads to minimize glazing during the first miles of brake operation: moderately aggressive applications 80 > 40 kph followed by intervals of non-braking to cool the brakes and maintain moderate brake temperature.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after another 100 or so miles of all kinds of riding the squeeze judder came back yesterday. Same weather, same place coming out of work same shitty result Laughing

So I've ordered a set of EBC pads and I'll swap them out this weekend for peace of mind. Will give everything a clean and lube too while I'm at it and see what happens next.

Also spoke to the guy I bought the bike off (we are pals now, we go on rides together and he has offered to fix the bike whenever anything happens, nice guy) and although he changed the pads he used some unbranded stuff off eBay that he now regrets using and won't be again.

So yeah, back on the spanners for the first time in a good few years, what's the worst that can happen! Very Happy

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask your buddy if the stator magnets have been modified.
a common problem with the SV i believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
ask your buddy if the stator magnets have been modified.
a common problem with the SV i believe.

Yeah that we don't know, from what I've read it's not common it's more aptly described as inevitable Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

this chap has a guide for it and other useful videos for the SV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gwxjtRGitM

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
this chap has a guide for it and other useful videos for the SV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gwxjtRGitM

Thanks for that Thumbs Up I'll probably check it at the next oil change. Given the rarity of the magnets and the cost of a working spare it's probably a game ender if it happens at this point. Bike has 30k on it, barely worth 2k as it is. I do very few miles in reality so will keep an eye on it.

On another note, I've just replaced the pads. Nice easy job, especially as the old pads haven't been in there long. All bolted up and a quick test seems like everything is working. Will give it a proper run out. Fitted some EBC pads.

I took a photo of the pads but the file is too big for upload. They were a bit glazed and rusty in places!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1