Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brakelight Curcuit Or Alarm Wiring

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Brakelight Curcuit Or Alarm Wiring Reply with quote

Ey up

Wonder if you lot can figure this out. I think I have a problem that may be related to the alarm or it's wiring.

Ive been trying to trace a fault on my bike's Brake Light circuit 2000 model Kawasaki ZX6R. It basically does not illuminate and voltage is too low at the bulb connector when pressing either brake 9.8 volt is all that is shown. The rear light on the same earth is fine 12.5 volt. Logic tell me there is some sort of resistance going on.

Just buy chance I happened to hear a click almost like a solenoid click from the datatool veto evo when I press a brake and you can feel that click with your hand on the alarm, this solenoid type click happens every time I press either brake.

Any idea what is going on there ? Im reasonable with electrics usually and have no issues using a multimeter.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:25 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the voltage at the brake switch and the continuity fropm switch to light.

Probably more to do with a shit connection between the light and the loom.

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that, what has thrown me is the click from the alarm.

I wasn't aware the Datatool had any connection involving the brake light circuit unless it is sharing a positive feed but im sure it is getting that from the fan circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this brake light issue a new problem or have you just bought the bike? When you activate or deactivate the alarm does it flash the indicators?

How old is the alarm? The battery lasts about 12 years so you might want to think about removing the alarm before it fails (it’s surprisingly simple to do), although I think that’s unlikely to fix the brake light issue if the alarm was connected to the loom wrongly.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any Scotch Lock taps in your brake light circuit, that would attract my immediate suspicion. They work well upon installation, but become problematic over time.

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is the whole story.

Had the bike for 15 year not rode it for last 3 because of a knee operation cartridge trim but got an infection. Ready to ride again now.

During the 3 years it sat there on a battery tender which failed, ordered a new battery tender and a battery.

Bike alarm played up after fitting these tried despiking it the lot replaced the internal 9 volt battery still had arming and disarming issues coupled with the brake light issue. So i bought a bypass for the alarm.

Bike fine starts fine rides fine just no brake light. All the other electrics work no issues.

Tested voltage at the switches today 9.8 volts.

So it looks like ill need to strip off the fairings and have a good route around, think ill start by taking the alarm wiring out of the harness altogether.

So annoying bike is mint and i want to be riding the bloody thing.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
replaced the internal 9 volt battery

Fob, or alarm?

Quote:
still had arming and disarming issues coupled with the brake light issue.

Assuming that alarm has an internal battery which you replaced, that means you have torn into the case. Did the brake light issue only arise afterwards?

Quote:
So i bought a bypass for the alarm.

Is it the correct plug for the alarm and bike? I think they used to sell Triumph-specific bypass plugs which presumably means their factory-fitted Datatool alarms were wired differently.
Also I can’t see how operating the brake would make the alarm click; even more so if bypassed.

Regardless of all that, since the brake light ought to have nothing to do with the alarm I reckon you’ve damaged some brake light wires while wrestling the alarm under the pillion seat. You’re right, it’s time to remove the tail unit and inspect what lies beneath.

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alarm box itself just a PP9 job in mine mate

No the brake light issue was there after replacing the bike battery and battery tender.

Quote:
So i bought a bypass for the alarm
Is it the correct plug for the alarm and bike? I think they used to sell Triumph-specific bypass plugs which presumably means their factory-fitted Datatool alarms were wired differently.
Also I can’t see how operating the brake would make the alarm click; even more so if bypassed.

Im thinking whatever is causing the resistance is affecting the alarm earth leak or short perhaps.

Tail unit already off nothing visible to report and i have continuity and power 9.8 volt through the brake light circuit, i was not rough really, replacing the internal alarm battery as you say it easy a simple task.

Its coming out of the loom though when i get a spare weekend.

Thanks for your thoughts mate very similar to whats going on in my head too.

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lads been busy, however this weekend im back to tracing this fault.

Anyone good at following wiring diagrams ?

If anyone is the blue wire lead to the rear light is for the brake light.

Were does this blue wire pick up its power from ?

Thanks

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:43 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compo wrote:

Were does this blue wire pick up its power from ?

The front and rear brake switches....[/b]

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wire takes power from the front and rear brake light switches, which take power from the 10A fuse in the junction box. That fuse takes it's power from the brown wire out of the ignition switch which itself takes power from the 30A fuse on the starter relay via the white wire.

If you're getting only 9.8v at the switch then the feed is at fault. Pull the fuse and check for corrosion. If you're getting only 9.8v at the fuse pull the 30a fuse at the starter relay. If you're getting 12v there plug the fuse back in, check again the fuse box and if it's still 9.8 volts un-plug the rectifier from the loom and check again. If you're now getting 12v the rectifier is fucked.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tail and brake share twin-filament bulbs, and the brake light is obviously brighter than the tail light. I’m not sure this matches your bike’s symptoms but are the pins in the connector the wrong way round? I had something similar when I renovated my ZX6R. I’d simply plugged in a brand new tail light loom and I can’t recall what the MOT tester said about the rear light but he had to flip the pins to make it pass.

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The wire takes power from the front and rear brake light switches, which take power from the 10A fuse in the junction box. That fuse takes it's power from the brown wire out of the ignition switch which itself takes power from the 30A fuse on the starter relay via the white wire.

If you're getting only 9.8v at the switch then the feed is at fault. Pull the fuse and check for corrosion. If you're getting only 9.8v at the fuse pull the 30a fuse at the starter relay. If you're getting 12v there plug the fuse back in, check again the fuse box and if it's still 9.8 volts un-plug the rectifier from the loom and check again. If you're now getting 12v the rectifier is fucked.

Lads thank you.

Pete your an absolute star very easy to follow that Thumbs Up

Compo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted lads brake lights and the alarm Very Happy

Corroded 30 amp fuse. MOT Monday.

thanks Pete Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1