Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

youre driving too fast and too much peasant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: youre driving too fast and too much peasant Reply with quote

Lowering motorway speed limits and introducing driving bans on Sunday are ideas being suggested to cut Britain’s reliance on oil.

The ideas are part of a ten-point plan proposed by the International Energy Agency in a bid to reduce global oil demand by 2.7 million barrels per day.

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/news/23561699.lower-motorway-speeds-driving-ban-plan-tackle-oil-reliance/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

This is the equivalent of asking people to go back to Plato's Cave and forget what they've seen. Replacing ICE cars with better EV cars? Fair enough but they're not better at the moment (although one could easily envisage them improving.)

If you want to tumble into the whole "carbon footprint" rabbit hole then air travel is the thing to get rid of. That's also in the report but hey, need clickbait right?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

"cut Britain’s reliance on oi"

Retards will retard.

Reducing the reliance on oil won't happen until we have suitable infrastructure for EV vehicles.

We should be looking at why so much oil is being wasted by vehicles.

Efficiency is the thing here, internal combustion engines have become pretty damn efficient but it has now got the point that external factors are the problem.

Traffic jams due to a road network struggling to cope with the amount of traffic, leading to crumbling roads, leading to hotfix poor quality roadworks, leading to more gridlock..... rinse and repeat.

Only permit lorries / wagons on motorways and in cities between 8pm - 8am during the week unless transporting a perishable load.
They have a similar thing in France, and it works really well.

This would lead to less congestion, fewer vehicles sat in gridlocked roads burning fuel while moving at 2mph.

Less congestion would allow for a more reliable and frequent public transport service, which may entice people to actually use it.

It may also provide more jobs as night workers would be needed to ship and receive goods.

ULEZ would no longer need to be a thing, as less emissions would be produced.

C'mon International Energy Agency nerds, the less time a vehicle spends travelling from point A to point B will generally lead to less fuel being wasted.

But hey, that's just me having a quick 5 minute ponder whilst sat upon my porcelain throne.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a lot of these reports are based on old numbers. For example, the average CO2 per kilometre back in 2000 would be ~190g, whereas today around 120g. However, my old Skoda manages 89g CO2 per kilometre and that came out in 2010... coincidentally the emissions as a Prius of the same era. Clearly more can be done Thinking

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the owner of an electric car, they are dogshit for long motorway journeys. Going from Glasgow to London will see me recharge twice along the way. That's great if it aligns with lunch/ dinner times and I can eat and charge at the same time but it hardly ever works out that way.

I literally bought an old diesel beater just for when I need to drive to the south of England (which is every other week now).

That being said, if you only ever drove in a 150 mile radius from your home then it will never be an issue for you. Even if you can't charge at your personal home (I can't) it's still easy to find a charger locally and in all honesty out with motorway chargers I've never had to wait in a queue ever.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the vast majority of people start at 8 and finish at 4 is also a recipe for congestion. With schools starting around the same time.

That along with the quick 5 minute ponderings above show you that 'they' indeed know how to solve the issue. Yet they have no interest in doing so. Agenda driven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:17 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"smart" motorways don't help. I went down the M6 on Friday and there were three seperate incidents of a vehicle broken down in an active lane. It's was like a fucking carpark. I'm entirely confident all three of them would have been able to limp across onto the hard shoulder if there had been one.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1