Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Lift Using Linear Actuators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 06 Jun 2023    Post subject: TV Lift Using Linear Actuators Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm looking to do a little project with actuators to put my bedroom TV on a lift. My youngest son yesterday managed to completely destroy the TV so need a clever way to hide the thing when not in use. I've been looking at actuators and plan to build my own little hidden tv furniture set up.

Has anyone here done something similar and knows where to start? Maybe you know of a forum that would cover this sort of hobbyist project?

Just need some general advice or starting point to get going.

Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:10 - 06 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A top tip from my brother whos kid is a complete rocket. When you buy the new TV and they ask you if you'd like to take out insurance on it, say yes. He got three TVs out of his last one after one got lightsabered then the other got nerfed to death.

We used to have things called TV cabinets where there were wooden doors that closed over the TV preventing it being damaged.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 06 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kinda thing?

https://www.hiddentvlift.co.uk/

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 06 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done a TV lift specifically, but I used to work in a museum where I made and fixed all sorts of moving bits and pieces, and one that comes to mind specifically was a showcase lifter which used to allow us to raise and lower a particular case into and out of a display unit.

It had a powered scissor lift underneath it (which was basically just some small aluminium angle pieces arranged in a double height scissor arrangement a bit like this with bearings in the middle and ends, and then it used a small electric worm drive motor to actuate up and down - something not all that dissimilar to this albeit sized appropriately for the scissor to allow full actuation up and down.

That's probably the approach I'd take if I wanted to make something from scratch - although off the shelf solutions do exist.

Edit: In fact just stick this in a box and make the lid open as the TV lifts. Job jobbed.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 06 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, easiest to buy something but if you want the fun of the project, lots of ways to do it.

You need to say how you want to hide it e.g. vertical into a box, backwards into a recess, stationary but have some shutters?

If you want to use linear actuators, you can pick them up cheapest from aliexpress in my experience. I recommend a mechanism that uses just one so you don't need to worry about synchronisation.

You will need to calculate the push or pull force required and this will depend on the mechanism you choose.

So basically, make a sketch of what you wanna do before going any further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber bands are cheap Laughing
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Rubber bands are cheap Laughing

Don't fall asleep wearing them, or it will turn black and drop off

I wasn't commenting on what your using the telly for but just to make it bounce up and down.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find ~1000 Nm rated worm drive and associated electronics in old sofa's with electric reclining, you should be able to pick them up for free on Scumtree, rip it apart and it'll be 12/24 v with limit switches, keep the power adaptors, or run it on 1 or 2 lead acid batteries. That will easily lift 100kg of TV and framework, the lift direct would give you about 30cm so you'll need a scissor mechanism to increase the throw, but reduces the capacity.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braided cables, pulleys and a counterweight.
No chance that a motor failure can prevent viewing or concealmenting.
And no pesky soldering (sawdering US).
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1