Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Boris has left the building

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Boris is quitting as an MP...
I don't give a fuck!
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
I really don't give a fuck!!!
82%
 82%  [ 14 ]
Boris who?!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 12 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The problem is at grassroots where we elect eccentric narcissistic plebs as local MPs as they promise us the world if we vote them into power.

Other than that guy that says he can live on 3 quid a week, where else are the others? only then he was stuck in to try and side with the plebs, he wouldn't get a seat in a normal tory Constituency, doubt they expected him to get in

they're all mainly chosen from above, carbon copies, all the same views

David Miliband's parachuted in to a seat near me, never heard of him round here ever , doubt the local labour party have either
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 12 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris is much the same, parachuted into various seats. If you look into his biography he's a typical Metropolitan No-Man having lived in America, the UK in various places, teaching in Oz... the old school tie being the obvious thing of note but as for work? AFAIK he's only been a journalist Puke

Charismatic but two-faced and shiftless, likes to get his dick wet Thinking Amazing he got all the way to the top. Says a lot about the UK Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:21 - 12 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
likes to get his dick wet (

Feckless, workshy fop.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 12 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The form is that MPs are locally elected...

Candidates are only nominally selected by local parties. If the bigwigs at party HQ don't like their choice, they're overruled.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:09 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
MCN wrote:
The form is that MPs are locally elected...

Candidates are only nominally selected by local parties. If the bigwigs at party HQ don't like their choice, they're overruled.

And....?

If they do not get votes then they do not get into parliament.

That is how it works.

There can always be problems due to dilution of principle by the numbers and deceit.

In other words, if we vote for the people we like, we get the government we like.

But there are always hairs that can be split.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:53 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

In other words, if we vote for the people we like, we get the government we like.

But there are always hairs that can be split.

Ah, maybe that's where I'm going wrong because I vote for the best fuckwit and no matter who wins, we still get fuckwits.

It amazes me anybody would want to stand for political office at all anyway. Which is why we get a mix of fuckwits who didn't know what to do with their arts degree and self-serving narcissists.

Any idealism of hint of competancy will have long since been dragged under and got rid of by the others in case it shows them up for what they are.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

At best you get to vote against the candidate you hate the most i.e. tactical voting.

For example next election in my area no Demonic Rabble standing. Yay! However, if I wish to enact my plan of utterly destroying the Tories the only realistic chance of success is to vote Literal Undemocrat. They could exhume Ted Kaczynski and I'd still have to vote for him... at the polling booth obviously, mail in voting would be inappropriate.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

And....?

If they do not get votes then they do not get into parliament.

That is how it works.

Then you get the other sides pick that has been chosen from above at the agenda of their pay masters

Just look at how mad they were at Margaret Beckett for nominating Corbyn at the last minute so he'd get through the leadership competition , same goes for brexit, the one time the plebs get a choice, the managerial class gets fucking mad

Truss bollocksed up the bond market, yet they're in worse position today than they were when she was in office and is anyone calling for the Bank of England to have it's independence removed?

whole thing is pointless
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:18 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

Truss bollocksed up the bond market, yet they're in worse position today than they were when she was in office and is anyone calling for the Bank of England to have it's independence removed?

whole thing is pointless

Have been monitoring this as part of my job. They arent in a worse position - they are struggling to get back to where they were (pre Truss-Kwarteng) though. Impacting many of our pension funds. If the BoE hadn't stepped in ( or left it 30 minutes later!) then there wouldve been large-scale automatic selloffs - even large schemes would've struggled.

Should they have the power to step in - in a democracy - certainly not. The whole shit-show though does really bring to light who actually runs this country. International bankers. Whoever we elect is just a face, an avatar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:08 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

Have been monitoring this as part of my job. They arent in a worse position - they are struggling to get back to where they were (pre Truss-Kwarteng) though. Impacting many of our pension funds. If the BoE hadn't stepped in ( or left it 30 minutes later!) then there wouldve been large-scale automatic selloffs - even large schemes would've struggled.

Should they have the power to step in - in a democracy - certainly not. The whole shit-show though does really bring to light who actually runs this country. International bankers. Whoever we elect is just a face, an avatar.

And it all went tits up because of bankers greed, not government fiscal policy. These funds are all massively over-extended, leveraging borrowing against their bond investments. What Truss inadvertantly demonstrated is how exposed and insecure they are. Nothing has changed but the house of cards is still standing for now. Work can't understand why I opt out of their pension scheme, I tell them it'll be worthless by the time I come to retire.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:20 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are backed by the UK government so if I'm fucked pension wise so is everyone else anyway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Mine are backed by the UK government so if I'm fucked pension wise so is everyone else anyway.

That might still happen given all the debt governments are piling up...

https://i.imgur.com/JBXyMdw.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:25 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me again which political party is in power at the moment.

Is it the Labour party that will waste money costing the country billions or the tory party who are fiscally responsible and not bankrupt the country?

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Work can't understand why I opt out of their pension scheme, I tell them it'll be worthless by the time I come to retire.

If inflation continues at anything above 5% for an extended period then yes you're right. Most company pension funds are very cautiously invested. Expecting anything greater than 3-5% annualised gains is ... optimistic.

Among other more mainstream alternatives I would say property has a good chance of keeping pace especially if you've already skin in the game. I've probably missed the boat with that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:31 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you an actuary? Fuck me, someone more boring than an accountant...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:48 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

If inflation continues at anything above 5% for an extended period then yes you're right. Most company pension funds are very cautiously invested. Expecting anything greater than 3-5% annualised gains is ... optimistic.

It's with one of the big companies who run such things on behalf of small businesses. So in other words, a big wad of free capital to gamble with. You have to wonder who such a thing is being run for and I'd be willing to bet it's not for the comapnies who subscribe to them or the people whos money is invested with them.

It is therefore not cautiously invested, because if it was, the fund mangers wouldn't have shit their pants when bond yields dropped. They've converted what should be a rock-solid safe investment into a shoogly peg by borrowing against forecast yields.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 14 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

And it all went tits up because of bankers greed, not government fiscal policy. These funds are all massively over-extended, leveraging borrowing against their bond investments. What Truss inadvertantly demonstrated is how exposed and insecure they are. Nothing has changed but the house of cards is still standing for now. Work can't understand why I opt out of their pension scheme, I tell them it'll be worthless by the time I come to retire.

I was reading an economic paper recently which was saying that the banking sector in the UK ie the City of London has been holding our society and economy back for ever, even back in the days of the industrial revolution it hampered real exploitation of our innovations. I'd always thought that monetisation was a post WWII thing but apparently not and even a hundred years ago Winston Churchill was critical of the CoL.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 14 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Boris has left the building Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
How do we all feel about the loss of such a heavyweight in British politics?

He needs his wilderness years to fulfil his Churchill fantasy. So get kicked into the desert now then Rishi loses the next election then Boris strides back in his latex Churchill gimp suit to the mass of Tories ejaculating all over him and hey presto.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:41 - 14 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I'd always thought that monetisation was a post WWII thing but apparently not and even a hundred years ago Winston Churchill was critical of the CoL.

Perhaps the biggest influence on western global development from this perspective was what happened during the Napoleonic wars.

https://napoleonbonapartepodcast.com/2006/11/09/the-rothschild-family-and-the-napoleonic-wars/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 14 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Remind me again which political party is in power at the moment.

Is it the Labour party that will waste money costing the country billions or the tory party who are fiscally responsible and not bankrupt the country?

Oh! What is this? "My Left-Wing party is better than your Left-Wing party" Rolling Eyes

The graph hints at the "money printer go brrrr" as an answer to the 2008 crash. I would hazard this was an American solution and our spineless and unimaginative politicians just followed suit. Who was overseeing this shambles in the UK at the time I wonder Thinking

Anyhoo, doesn't matter really printing your way out of problem is addictive. Again you could have a long conversation with an economist as to whether the Americans started wholeheartedly on the path in 1913 or 1971 but TBF here in the UK we mostly resisted the urge until the crash then Covid came along and made it much, much worse.

Could Labour have done any better? Obviously not in 2008 but maybe with Covid and only then if we still had Corbyn.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:52 - 14 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's with one of the big companies who run such things on behalf of small businesses. So in other words, a big wad of free capital to gamble with. You have to wonder who such a thing is being run for and I'd be willing to bet it's not for the comapnies who subscribe to them or the people whos money is invested with them.

It is therefore not cautiously invested, because if it was, the fund mangers wouldn't have shit their pants when bond yields dropped. They've converted what should be a rock-solid safe investment into a shoogly peg by borrowing against forecast yields.

Cautiously invested at the level of information the Trustees of such funds are privy too (ie setting the equity:bond ratio). Of course the machinations of the bond market are a level above the understanding of most including myself. Such folk do say though that the Truss-Kwarteng 'shock' was one of those 'once in a lifetime' events that it's difficult to foresee. I do agree bonds as a whole do seem to vary in price much more than they did. Often moving 'with' equities, so not providing the downside protection that they once did in a growth portfolio.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute sycophancy around Boris Johnson at the start of the covid outbreak is really all the more embarrassing in hindsight.

"He's just doing his best"
"Our dear leader" <-- I saw this more than once with no hint of irony
etc
etc

Corrupt as fuck, self-serving arsehole, always has been, only an idiot would have ever thought otherwise.

It's sad how relatively quiet this has been in the news. The nation should be made to feel embarrassed for ever thinking he was a good political choice. His awfulness was blindingly obvious.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The absolute sycophancy around Boris Johnson at the start of the covid outbreak is really all the more embarrassing in hindsight.

"He's just doing his best"
"Our dear leader" <-- I saw this more than once with no hint of irony
etc
etc

Corrupt as fuck, self-serving arsehole, always has been, only an idiot would have ever thought otherwise.

It's sad how relatively quiet this has been in the news. The nation should be made to feel embarrassed for ever thinking he was a good political choice. His awfulness was blindingly obvious.

Yeah but he's a good laugh Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:00 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Leader we deserved etc?

Could have been Corbyn. That would have been scary because he actually meant to do everything he said he would.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Do you list your primary home as "living under a rock" 'cos here's the BBC's main story today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-65876914

and the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/jun/15/boris-johnson-partygate-privileges-committee-report-conservatives-uk-politics-live

No mention on the Mail Online but then they don't do politics really.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4