Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No experience to full A.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Claret_john
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:30 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: No experience to full A. Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself and give a little back story.

I'm 36 from the North West and was going to do my bike licence whilst in the army in 2009. Unfortunately I broke my back in Afghanistan in 2008 and and after a lot of rehab I never thought about doing it again.

That is until 2 months ago when i thought F*** it. Im sick of being bored at the weekends and need a new challenge. My wife agreed and she booked us on a taster morning in Blackburn. I was told on this taster morning I was ready for my CBT and if the rest of the group was not so far behind he would if done it that day. Ever since I have been obsessed.

I now have passed my Theory and my CBT is next weekend, 2 weeks after that I have booked a 4 day direct access. 2 days training the mod 1 & 2 on the afternoons of days 3 & 4.

Do you think as a complete novice it can be done? As a complete rookie how long did it take you?

Cheers in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours of training will you be getting?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:46 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my test there were people doing a 5 day course as novices and passed. That was in the early 90's though....

Claret_john
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 15 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts every morning 9am and finishes about 3. I reckon about 12 hours for first 2 days and some training before taking mod 1 / 2 (if I make it to mod 2)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
When I did my test there were people doing a 5 day course as novices and passed. That was in the early 90's though....

I did that in ‘98, although I failed the test and needed two extra days. I forget why now. U-turn, maybe. Total novice to full licence though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC I did a couple of days training per mod. If you include the CBT that's 5 days... so sounds doable Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:11 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first two days that will be about five hours training per day.

I'd want to find out how much training time you'll be getting on the third and forth days if not just so that I know what I'm paying for.

What you're intending on doing sounds like it should be fine. At your CBT, ask if you can try a bike bigger than a 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:15 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are already competent with basic control and have road knowledge from driving cars it might be a good way to go at it in a full immersion way like learning a language because you have to.
It will still take many months or years to be fully confident in almost any situation - all kinds of things catch us all out like loose surfaces, adverse cambers and of course other drivers doing unexpected or stupid things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:19 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: No experience to full A. Reply with quote

Claret_john wrote:

Do you think as a complete novice it can be done?

Absolutely. Many people have done it.

Do you ride a bicycle? If so you'll have no problem with the hardest part for a raw novice which is dealing with 2-wheeled balance. Do you drive a car? If so they navigating the roads will be no more difficult and you already know how to use a clutch and gears.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done. But it'll be hard work.

We usually assess peoples bike control on their CBT and either recommend either straight onto DAS, an improver day (where we get a good 5 or 6 hours riding in to cram as much experience as possible in a short time) or at the worst case, getting a 125cc bike for a few months.

On their CBT I look for bike control, how confident and comfortable are they going through the gears, using slow control etc. All the skills that are needed for the bigger bikes.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:49 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

after returning to biking from a 25yr leave of absence I passed my CBT easily. All you need to know is that its a one-man-band thing...all the hands and legs do things while you balance around.

What I did notice immediately after doing the yardwork part, is that on the road I wasnt paying as much attention to the signs as I do when driving a car. My mind had become lazy from car driving.

was this a 40mph zone? dunno...didnt see any signs...etc etc..was trying to dodge the Road-Goblins work from the rain the night before...did this 40 just become a 30...dunno...was concentrating on this pedestrian and wondering if their dog is gonna run out...

So I'm 125'ing it for a bit just to get my head working in a more bike-friendly fashion.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct Access most always 'guarantees' a pass.

They take you from small 125cc up to a 400cc. (I can't remember the restrictions for each part but it is more to do with horsepower (KW) produced by the engine than the engine capacity.)
The training centre issue your 1st bike test cert.
The DSA test and issue the full bike licence.

There are probably hair splitting areas in that too. The bcf massive will furnish the detail I cannot be arsed to google.

They usually won't put you up for the test unless they believe you can pass.

There is quite a lot to learn if a complete novice.

Many candidates already have a licence to drive a car therefore their road craft xshould' be acceptable.

But riding a bike presents so many other risks, that road craft is revisited.

Mechanical control of the bike involves a lot of muscle memory too.

I would take a stab at a guess and say that the majority of people who can complete the course with a degree of competency will pass.

But... the test is a separate deal and has always some eventualities and personal opinion to encounter.

Claret_john
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:46 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can ride a bike and have been driving cars, wagons.

Asking to have a go on a bigger bike after my CBT is a great idea thank you.

Got an Idea what I want for my first bike. A Ninja 650. Luckily I work for the BMW Group and have been offered a S1000RR on a salary sacrifice heavily subsidised but I know that's a terrible idea.

Cheers for your input so far.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: No experience to full A. Reply with quote

Claret_john wrote:
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself and give a little back story.

I'm 36 from the North West and was going to do my bike licence whilst in the army in 2009. Unfortunately I broke my back in Afghanistan in 2008 and and after a lot of rehab I never thought about doing it again.

That is until 2 months ago when i thought F*** it. Im sick of being bored at the weekends and need a new challenge. My wife agreed and she booked us on a taster morning in Blackburn. I was told on this taster morning I was ready for my CBT and if the rest of the group was not so far behind he would if done it that day. Ever since I have been obsessed.

I now have passed my Theory and my CBT is next weekend, 2 weeks after that I have booked a 4 day direct access. 2 days training the mod 1 & 2 on the afternoons of days 3 & 4.

Do you think as a complete novice it can be done? As a complete rookie how long did it take you?

Cheers in advance.

It can be done, many others have done it before you. Many more have failed their MOD 1 first though.

Just fucking go for it mate and good luck!

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:58 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for it, if you're ok on the bike then the tests are both easy to pass and easy to fail, but you just re-test until you pass.
I spent 18 months on a 125 before doing A license but that's mainly because it was peak covid (huge test backlog) and then other life stuff got in the way. I kept my 125 after passing for commuting but I think most people avoid 125's though Laughing
The SS1000RR, depends how much you can resist temptation on a bike that will hit the ton in first gear...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claret_john wrote:
Can ride a bike and have been driving cars, wagons.

Asking to have a go on a bigger bike after my CBT is a great idea thank you.

Got an Idea what I want for my first bike. A Ninja 650. Luckily I work for the BMW Group and have been offered a S1000RR on a salary sacrifice heavily subsidised but I know that's a terrible idea.

Cheers for your input so far.

Get a quote for a S1000RR having just obtained your bike licence.

Post the 1st 3 results in the comments.

Shocked

They are very nice bikes to ride and bikes are not dangerous but one of those fakers will kill you. Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're realistically good with road sense, knowledge and attitude (the latter is very important) and you're willing to focus and absorb information, yes it's entirely possible. It'll be mentally and physically demanding squeezing it into a short space of time and if the weather is rubbish, you'll be probably struggling to dry kit out from one day to the next, but if you're prepared to deal with that, go for it and good luck!

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is doable - I did mine 18 months ago from never touched a bike to full A licence holder.

As was said earlier, If you can ride a bicycle then you got the balance and if you can drive (manual) you know the roads/signs - the only difficult thing is gears/clutch is wrong way around compared to cars Very Happy

watch out for MOD1 though as most people (me) find that tricky compared to MOD2

good luck and enjoy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:

This. Foot down once and you've fucked it. Happened to me!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Abaaba wrote:

This. Foot down once and you've fucked it. Happened to me!

Thats why our company policy is booking mod 1 and 2 a week apart. If you fail mod 1 we can move your mod 2 without you losing the fee.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Thats why our company policy is booking mod 1 and 2 a week apart. If you fail mod 1 we can move your mod 2 without you losing the fee.

I did mine with Bikerite in Glasgow (shut down now). They didn't book MOD 2 until you passed MOD 1. They also didn't do things in a straight run of days either. My lesson 1 and 2 were a week apart then it was a couple weeks to lesson 3/ MOD 1 then a couple weeks to lesson 4/ MOD 1 re-sit then a couple weeks to lesson 5/ MOD 2.

I am really surprised they shut down, they were a really busy school but the owners wanted to retire so sold off the assets instead of selling it to their management.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run Sat and Sunday mod 1 prep, but we also cover country roads and real world riding, Mod 1 is usually Tuesday or Wednesday morning, So you get a day or 2 off to compose. After that we hit mod 2 prep, tricky junctions etc for the rest of the day, then a week later we have the mod 2 day itself, some full mock tests on test routes, a recap of some tricky junctions with mod 2 in the afternoon.

We are flat out. The only thing holding us back is test availability, our centre manager does not like bikers it seems, Any spare mod 2 that go onto the system he changes to car tests before anyone can grab them, when someone goes on holiday he does not get cover which reduces the tests by half!
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
We run Sat and Sunday mod 1 prep, but we also cover country roads and real world riding, Mod 1 is usually Tuesday or Wednesday morning, So you get a day or 2 off to compose. After that we hit mod 2 prep, tricky junctions etc for the rest of the day, then a week later we have the mod 2 day itself, some full mock tests on test routes, a recap of some tricky junctions with mod 2 in the afternoon.

We are flat out. The only thing holding us back is test availability, our centre manager does not like bikers it seems, Any spare mod 2 that go onto the system he changes to car tests before anyone can grab them, when someone goes on holiday he does not get cover which reduces the tests by half!

It's well known that DSA is run by ningcompoops. Anti Bike Bastirts.
They'll cancel a bike test if there are leaves on the railway. Khunts.

They created the fkng monster of the Off Highway Test tracks.
When the EU rule was poorly worded. For European mainlanders who count in kilometres. 50kph urban speed limit convets to 31mph. And part of the test has to be done at the urban speed limit. 50kph.

The Diddies at DSA took the words literally. That wasn't one idiot, that was a quorum of idiots.

EU said when asked, that there was nothing in the turd directive that said 50 kph was mandatory and that DSA only needed to use the UK urban speed limit. 30mph.
DSA also had no test centres to do the tests. Several bike schools offered to help. DSA said nyet. Because they are a collection of absolute phannies.

A business that behaved as they do would shut down.
But the taxpayers enable them.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
i cant see how you can fail mod 1, its piss easy if you can ride a bike.

Lets see.

Put a foot down on the slalom, figure 8, U turn, slow ride. Fail
Not hit the speed the second time on the high speed elements, Fail
Kick a cone off its spot at any point, Fail
Lose control of the bike at any point, Fail
Lock a wheel on the Estop or kick the ABS in too much, fail
get more than 5 minor faults, fail.
get 3 or more of the same fault, can be a fail.
Miss the lifesaver before the U turn, fail

dave001 wrote:

mod two can be a pain, if you don't know area, as they will try to catch you out if they have passed a lot that month.

A road is a road, do you need to do another test each time you go to a different location or do you lose the ability to ride when you travel out of your local area into unknown areas?

as for the last bit, thats utter bollocks. The examiner does not try to catch anyone out, if you failed the first time, then the chances are very slim they will remember you the second time. The test routes are all officially set by the examiners and authorised by the DVSA. There is no catching out in there.

Next you will be telling me they have to fail a certain amount each month too, which is something only an idiot who cannot pass first time thinks.

The examiner never fails a student, They are there to observe and tell you whether you failed yourself. After all they are not riding the bike, you are.

But it does amuse me with the different tones. "I passed my test!" or "The examiner failed me!"

No one fails by themselves, its always the examiners fault that you did something wrong.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3