Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Flagship of the Columbian Navy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
How about this one?

https://jst.org.uk/tenacious/

That looks fine. Cool

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Several navies would disagree with you Wink

I, however, would prefer that our navy is trained for the threats they will face whilst at war and not how to sail an obselete ship.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I, however, would prefer that our navy is trained for the threats they will face whilst at war and not how to sail an obselete ship.

Most recruits join because of the opportunities for travel and adventure, not because they especially want to skim the seabed waiting for the call to Armageddon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd rather be in an iron warship with engines to do that and not climbing to the top of 100' masts and risking their lives just to get the damn thing moving.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, you’re such a killjoy. Or is it about the money?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
They'd rather be in an iron warship with engines to do that and not climbing to the top of 100' masts and risking their lives just to get the damn thing moving.

I suspect you're wrong on this one. Service folk like their adventure and fun and a sailing ship would meet that nicely. The Royal Navy even have their own sailing club.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Jewish observation "if God is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc. what is God missing? Limitations." And there must be a certain magic present to work within limitations.

As alluded to earlier it isn't just ticking off a box "did a bit on a sailing boat" it's about being thrown into a new, constrained situation and making it work. I'm hoping mental fortitude is still valued in the armed forces?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you get some twat, probably Nobbys 'buy a bridge' people who stick things in the most inappropriate places. Wink

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/355132840_742469060902233_7450101777063339071_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=mGn5c2kY6owAX8wKJy5&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.xx&oh=00_AfDmpOEp9INXKEfdUU-GHUIkT_9iUIJ0cy1MxWVGje7BoQ&oe=6495BF82

Last edited by Polarbear on 09:02 - 20 Jun 2023; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Around the time of the Malcolm Miller and Winston Churchill there was another ship that was used for young adults I believe but cannot for the life of me remember it's name. A brig if I remember right. I will have to e-mail one of my old Captains who is the font of knowledge on all things sail.

Got a message back from my favourite captain...........The Royalist

https://sailtraininginternational.org/app/uploads/2016/09/vessel-royalist-1-800x530.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:35 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Where do you want this bridge Mrs?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:13 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not young adults, Sea Cadets. School kids.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: The Flagship of the Columbian Navy Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The utterly disguisting thing is we, a maritime nation, don't even have a sail training ship of our own. Even I was trained on a full rigged sail training ship but I never stood on any top masts. Laughing

That's Columbias naval flagship. Cudos to Columbia.

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/354458378_10222892142874481_5112571597416670175_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=3qVlFkdiFYwAX_bMsVs&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=00_AfBjH-nhgCBSrn-_ibFLmBV_2EugF05P69sKxvnGaHLwRg&oe=6494603D

She's not the only one, I seem to recall that the South Americans have a bunch of that type, Mexico has/had a sister ship, can't remember who else. Nostalgia is nice but it doesn't say a lot for your navy if your flagship is a square rigger!

I see that, as of last year, Dartmouth have quit using their picket boats for training officers in boat handling skills and gone over to jet boats. It used to be a nightmare on the Dart when that lot were on the river, used to be like a scene from a 'Carry on' film. God only knows how much grief they are going to cause using high powered vessels...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: The Flagship of the Columbian Navy Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
The utterly disguisting thing is we, a maritime nation, don't even have a sail training ship of our own. Even I was trained on a full rigged sail training ship but I never stood on any top masts. Laughing

That's Columbias naval flagship. Cudos to Columbia.

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/354458378_10222892142874481_5112571597416670175_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=3qVlFkdiFYwAX_bMsVs&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=00_AfBjH-nhgCBSrn-_ibFLmBV_2EugF05P69sKxvnGaHLwRg&oe=6494603D

She's not the only one, I seem to recall that the South Americans have a bunch of that type, Mexico has/had a sister ship, can't remember who else. Nostalgia is nice but it doesn't say a lot for your navy if your flagship is a square rigger!

I see that, as of last year, Dartmouth have quit using their picket boats for training officers in boat handling skills and gone over to jet boats. It used to be a nightmare on the Dart when that lot were on the river, used to be like a scene from a 'Carry on' film. God only knows how much grief they are going to cause using high powered vessels...

Since they lost their armada To British Expertease at Sea, the Spansh Massive have been patiently biding their time ammassing legions of sailors to be able to conquer the New Worlds and everything beyond. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the most appropriate thread...

Giant kites could pull cargo ships across the ocean – and slash their carbon emissions

"Giant kites" you say Thinking There used to be a word for that, rhymes with "fail" Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:13 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't generally get a sail up that high unless something has gone very badly wrong.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You don't generally get a sail up that high unless something has gone very badly wrong.

Don't get me wrong. If I had my way all cargo ships would be replaced with clippers. Shit from China would turn up 6 months later but not only do you massively reduce the carbon footprint of cargo transport you'd also have to employ a hell of a lot more people.

Oh noes! That means not only is stuff turning up late it's also more expensive. Nope, you'd actually be paying the true cost for goods not the price subsidised by fossil fuels. As an upside local artisans would become more affordable creating more jobs locally as well.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:56 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bulk carrier ships are probably the most efficient in terms of pollution caused per tonne hauled per mile, there are much better places to start with reducing carbon foot print.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
As bulk carrier ships are probably the most efficient in terms of pollution caused per tonne hauled per mile, there are much better places to start with reducing carbon foot print.

All those lawless people riding around on motorcycles for fun and no pillion must be carbon heavy. Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Not young adults, Sea Cadets. School kids.

As discussed previously here, my old man joined the Royal Navy at 16 and by 17 was in active service on a nuclear sub.
Before he was old enough to either vote or buy alcohol legally.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
All those lawless people riding around on motorcycles for fun and no pillion must be carbon heavy. Laughing

You joke but a motorcycle rider + pillion is both economically and ecologically better than any other current day form of transport. Until we have useable electric motorbikes anyway.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 02 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
MCN wrote:

You joke but a motorcycle rider + pillion is both economically and ecologically better than any other current day form of transport. Until we have useable electric motorbikes anyway.

Bit limited in ocean going qualities though....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:59 - 02 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
MCN wrote:

Bicycle is still the most efficient means of transport.

It's just not suited to our lazy ways.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone who might be interested, Falmouth tall ships races is back for the first time in 9 years- Tuesday 15th – Friday 18th August 2023.
could make for a nice short break/day trip.
https://www.falmouth.co.uk/tallships/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
for anyone who might be interested, Falmouth tall ships races is back for the first time in 9 years- Tuesday 15th – Friday 18th August 2023.
could make for a nice short break/day trip.
https://www.falmouth.co.uk/tallships/

I'm down in Plymouth for an MN college reunion of the class of 73 (I sound like a yank) around that time. If it matches I may well head over for a gander. Thanks for the heads up.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was still crawling around in nappies in 73 Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3