Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We all live in a yellow Submarine (or maybe not)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:01 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: We all live in a yellow Submarine (or maybe not) Reply with quote

https://www.reuters.com/world/titanic-tourist-submersible-goes-missing-rescue-efforts-under-way-2023-06-19/

Rich folk missing in a Submarine exploring Titanic wreck.

$250000 per seat. I'm safe then.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was stinking rich I'd rather do that than go into space.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Sinking rich.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Sinking rich.

Very true Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:41 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trapped on a submarine which has 96 hours of air for five people. When do you start reducing the number of people who're using the limited supply of air?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're trapped on a submarine which has 96 hours of air for five people. When do you start reducing the number of people who're using the limited supply of air?

Immediately. Boost your chances from the start Laughing

I saw an interview earlier that said it lost contact during the descent which doesn't sound good. A missing sub normally ends well... Neutral

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although apparently lost comms is pretty much standard. Low frequency deep sea radio waves are sketchy at best and they need to get a good enough signal through to translate into text for it to work at all.

Interesting to compare the resources being devoted to the rescue of five wealthy tourists compared to a trawler full of refugees off the Greek coast.

If it's on the bottom, might be a case of the only vehicle capable of rescuing it being itself?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a single tube design and I wonder if there is any emergency ascent mechanism. If not, it seems like a massive oversight to not have an independent system that can lift it to the surface and trigger a locator beacon, regardless of structural integrity.

Apparently they are bolted in and it requires someone on the outside to remove the bolts for them to escape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oceangate is a cobbled together vessel that uses a few repurposed components from other vessels.
The controls are very like X-Box game pad.

It has more than one emergency system to aid recovery.

Radio will not reach the seabed if its on the bottom.

On drilling rigs which operate in the same water depth 12000+ feet, comms with the Blow Out Preventer is made possible via a comms link. Umbilical a 6" dia cable that's rolled off and onto a massive 50' reel.

They have redundancy to control the BOP using ultrasonic transponders. Usually two incase one is lost. Continuous comms with the BOP is a priority. That prevents disasters like Deep Water Horizon.

I don't know if they have ultrasonic comms in the sub.

The US Navy have vessels that can easily reach a depth of 4k-5kft

The seabed around the wreck of the titanic is ove twice that depth.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

There's a pilot, a guy who's the pilot's boss, a customer by himself and a father and son duo.

If I was the dad with my son I would genuinely be considering offing the company owner and the rando by himself. Pilot only escapes being killed because he knows how to operate the sub.

I have no problem admitting that when it comes to it, at the end of the day my primary concern is making sure my son gets out of the situation alive, fuck the rest of them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:56 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may have oxygen for 96 hours but do they have toilet facilities?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Can't you stick your bum outside when having a sh1t? Bad design I think.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
It appears to be a single tube design and I wonder if there is any emergency ascent mechanism. If not, it seems like a massive oversight to not have an independent system that can lift it to the surface and trigger a locator beacon, regardless of structural integrity.

Apparently they are bolted in and it requires someone on the outside to remove the bolts for them to escape.

It can drop its ballast weight which would take it back up to the surface.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Apparently a toilet behind a curtain.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me needing a shit that 96 would get halved in 15 mins Shifty

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down to 40 hours of air now or 200 hours if you're resourceful.
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Pilot only escapes being killed because he knows how to operate the sub.

The pilot is going to kill you.

After running out of people to kill there'd be plenty of time to figure out how to operate it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:27 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not surfaced by itself by now then it won't be doing so without outside help so knowing how it works at this point is a useless skill.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The director of marine operations of Oceangate (a former RN Engineer) got sacked after recommending they get a pressure test and safety cert before putting paying customers in an untested vessel.

Touring the wreck of the Titanic: $250,000

Joining the wreck of the Titanic forever: Priceless Thumbs Up
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:44 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it could be they can't find it because it's now the shape and size of a basketball.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Of course, it could be they can't find it because it's now the shape and size of a basketball.

Catastrophic hull failure was the first thing to cross my mind. If they had a power or other systems failure then they would have released the ballast weight and be on the surface awaiting pickup by now. I hope there's a good outcome of course, but at that depth and pressure...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it would be quick.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Very.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Very.

There must be that few milliseconds where something goes crack and you know you're fucked. Not nice.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told it's not a bad way to go, and peaceful, because there's a point at which you give up. Don't know how true that is. One guy (deep sea swimmer) who was rescued told me that he had visions of his kid appearing in front of him and calling him, and the next thing he knew was when he woke up, having been rescued by a couple of Germans. However, in that submersible, pressure is a factor. Maybe it was on the quicker side of deaths by drowning, by all involved.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:41 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
The director of marine operations of Oceangate (a former RN Engineer) got sacked after recommending they get a pressure test and safety cert before putting paying customers in an untested vessel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/20/us/oceangate-titanic-missing-submersible.html#:~:text=OceanGate's%20director%20of%20marine%20operations,Titan%20as%20the%20submersible%20reached

"In the documents, Mr. Lochridge reported learning that the viewport that lets passengers see outside the craft was only certified to work in depths of up to 1,300 meters.

That is far less than would be necessary for trips to the Titanic, which is nearly 4,000 meters below the ocean’s surface."

That will probably sink Oceangate.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8